Notices

Longest Day of My Life - Anxiety

Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Longest Day of My Life - Anxiety

I went on a nice bender starting Friday night. Woke up at about 4 in the morning on Saturday feeling terriable, and drank a bit more. Went back to bed. Drank all day saturday, did the same sunday morning (early). Had the absolute worst anxiety all day yesterday. Couldnt sit still, couldnt rest, just pretty much paced. Feel better today, but not all the way there yet. Any suggestions with how others have delt with this would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I joined AA. What program of recovery have you been working?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
Any suggestions with how others have delt with this would be MUCH appreciated.
Deal with what? Relapsing? Or the havoc that follows a relapse?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found this place on a Monday after a whiskey weekend blitz. I have been sober since. Those first few minutes, days , weeks were the longest of my life. I stuck with it. Posted here and read a lot. I have four and a half months now.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Deal with what? Relapsing? Or the havoc that follows a relapse?
Just wondering how everyone dealt with the first few days after a big binge.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rest an being alone works....the more ur around people the aniety increases...also drink lots an lots of water an v8 juice helps...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jessi178 View Post
Rest an being alone works....the more ur around people the aniety increases...also drink lots an lots of water an v8 juice helps...
I agree (re: being alone). I was with my family yesterday and it was driving my anxiety through the roof. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will feel anxiety when going through a hangover and/or withdrawal. It's just part of the process. You will not feel better until you give your body some time to recover.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My anxiety got so bad at the end of my drinking career, that I had to check myself into the emergency room. That was my wake-up call (nearly 4 years ago). I stopped drinking and the anxiety has never returned.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
My anxiety got so bad at the end of my drinking career, that I had to check myself into the emergency room. That was my wake-up call (nearly 4 years ago). I stopped drinking and the anxiety has never returned.
That is about the level I was at yesterday. Might have been better had I gone to the ER. Feeling much better today.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That anxiety is just dreadful but the good news is you don't ever have to feel this way again. My recovery program is AA and here. I get a lot of support from both. I was always an anxious person and drinking eased that up for me but the next day was always hell. Since I have quit I've had barely any anxiety at all.

As for what you can do in the moment to feel better....hydrate hydrate hydrate and V8 is a good idea too as someone else said. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try deep breathing: it sounds simple, but it works.

Take a nice hot bubble bath and drink decaf tea.

Journal about your experience and know that you NEVER have to go through this again.

Go to an AA meeting and ask for help. Being around other alcoholics helps.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It is some much easier to deal with not drinking than deal with the aftermath of drinking.

Do you have a strategy or plan in place to ensure that you've had your last big binge?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is some much easier to deal with not drinking than deal with the aftermath of drinking.

Do you have a strategy or plan in place to ensure that you've had your last big binge?
My plan is to:

1. Post here,
2. Exercise consistently (this really really helps me. I got a workout in today and feel much better).
3. Think things all the way through. While I would never want to feel like I did the other day again, I also never want to forget that feeling. If there is Hell, that was it!!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

That is what I was gonna say, etho.

There's no way around the hangover. The damage is done. But you can choose not to drink again and avoid the situation all in all so there won't be a situation like this again.

Your post made me cringe. I do not miss that at all!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Good Plan, etho.

Number one should be DON'T drink! That's really the ONLY thing you HAVE to do
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stepping View Post
Good Plan, etho.

Number one should be DON'T drink! That's really the ONLY thing you HAVE to do
Good comment. Number one is Dont drink
Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Ethos, I just suffered through the anxiety and I still do. It will get easier as the days go by.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I always felt this way, EVERY morning after drinking, until I got "smart" and took 4 advil, 2mg xanax, glass of ice water, and smoked a few before I went to bed - perfect fix eh? - HELL no, I still feel bad in the morning because of my past but its certainly not as bad as when I drank.

That feeling is just one of the many side effects if you will of drinking, over the years of self analyst I have noticed quality sleep did play a factor in anxiety the next day, for my body & mind at least.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As a prior anxiety suffer....5 days ago is when my anxiety started to subside. I had suffered really bad with it since November and it was alcohol related. I didn't realize I was digging myself a bigger anxiety hole by drinking. I read in some of your threads that being around family elevated it for you but if it wasn't for my family I may have gone crazy.

My advice to you is to grit and bare it...it is horrible...I KNOW! But it will be over soon. I know that you may think the only way to find comfort is with a drink...DON'T DO IT! It only makes things worst the next day....That was my downfall for 4 months day in and day out...anxiety and panic attacks. Try reading...I think I've read every website there is about anxiety. Read the success stories and read about how alcohol is related to anxiety once you really get a grip on your thoughts (since anxiety is all in our mind) you will be able to relax some what. In a matter of days (depending on how bad you drank) you will get you sanity back. Trust me I had my last drink on the 23rd and today I feel soooo much better. Also, eat something and take some vitamins (you need the nutrient to rebuild your brain chemicals that the alcohol destroyed) if you have any questions or just want some comfort you can inbox me. This is such a hard time for you I KNOW!