Notices

Day 2 again...

Old 03-03-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 again...

Disappointed in myself to say the least. Made the mistake of going to a pub on Thursday, one drink turned into several (as it always does) and called in sick to work on Friday (again). Felt miserable this weekend. In retrospect I can see the exact moment on Thursday where I should have used some of my tools: coming to the boards, reading a recovery book, doing yoga/exercise, but I didn't and now I am back where I started... this feeling is really horrible : (
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ah, but you are back AND you realize that going to the pub was probably not a great idea! Maybe you could make a solid plan for the next time. I also found writing in my journal about my experience was good as I could look back later and remember how I really felt.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We all made mistakes but look at bright side. You didn't go out driving drunk and getting a DUI. Didn't go into work hung over or drunk. Did the right way. Went home after the pub recover and call in sick. Your only human, don't let these slips keep you down.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Zoey

I'm sorry you slipped but look at it this way - you probably learned a lesson or two?

what do you plan to do different this time? what changes can you make? do you need more support?

D
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. Dee74: My plan now is to meditate daily, I found in this to be helpful in the past. Visit the boards when I'm feeling the urge to drink/use. Journaling every day, writing down my thoughts especially when I feel like drinking/using.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On a side note, does anyone else find that no matter how solid of a plan they have in place, when that urge to drink/use grabs you, find yourself almost powerless? It feels like no matter how good of a plan I have in place, typically 2 weeks into my sobriety I always slip up?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had several two weeks then slips. Literally on the 14th or 15th day. I reflected on how crappy I felt the day after those slips and how one night always led to such a terrible hangover, two day binge, on and on... I realized I never, ever woke up after drinking and said "Damn, I'm glad I bought that beer... what a hell of a time and I feel great". But I sure have had many mornings I've woken up, watched the sun rise, and thought... way to go, man. You've done it again. I'm 7 days after one of those two weeks than slips... 7 days into the rest of my life, God willing.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
On a side note, does anyone else find that no matter how solid of a plan they have in place, when that urge to drink/use grabs you, find yourself almost powerless? It feels like no matter how good of a plan I have in place, typically 2 weeks into my sobriety I always slip up?
This is why I love AA something about group meetings keep u sober for me anyway and never feel alone and u r somewhat normal they get it
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
Step 1
We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that out lives had
become unmanageable.

yes, i am powerless over alcohol. the only thing i can do is not take that first drink. that is the extent of my power. the only thing that's keeping me from that first drink right now is going to meetings and being around other drunks. one recovering drunk talking to another is a powerful thing. that's why i'm liking AA so much. i get to be social and stay sober and strengthen my sobriety all at once. have you considered AA?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zoey. I started early Feb on this site. Sober for a few days then had the infamous bottle of wine. Realized, the SA site, and reading recovery books "alone" was not going to work (for me). I joined a support group. We meet once or twice a week. I felt so relieved to sit there and speak the truth with like minded people. This has helped me immensely, I've not drank now, since joining the meeting. (nearly 3 weeks). I drank a bottle to 2 wine most nights, for past 6 years. I've never gone more than 3 days without booze. So I am so pleasantly surprised. I've not considered AA yet. But just having this secular discussion group helps for now. Something you might want to consider, just to add to all your other actions (meditation, SR etc). The combination of FTF meetings and SR (which I could not do without either!) are proving successful in these early days. Best of luck