Notices

A sad reminder

Old 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A sad reminder

I met someone the other night with alcoholic related cirrhosis. They weighed less than than 100lbs, were so jaundice they were almost brown, abdomen distended and swollen from ascites due to liver failure and this was after they had taken around 2 liters off their abdomen that day. A special line in their arm to feed them nutrients through their veins and a tube down their nose.

They are in need of transplants of a few organs, but no doctor is going to put a healthy organ into them, so basically they are on deaths door.

In their hand was an electronic cigarette and in the bag next them on the bed was a copy of AA's big book, the newest edition, too bad it's too late for them to get anything out of it.

I am glad I was able to get healthy before it took a permanent toll on my body and thank GOD for that everyday. It's not too late for anyone who is reading this, get help and get healthy. Go to an AA meeting, go to church, quit on your own and hang out on here reading and posting, do whatever it takes. I found this site important, especially in the very early days, I couldn't get to meetings so this was a life saver!

Good luck on your journey!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lola, you are so right! I have cirrhosis caused by both alcohol and for other reasons that aren't alcohol-related. But the cause doesn't really matter. If I drink, it will get worse until I reach liver failure and that looks like what you saw plus some other possible complications which include dementia and blood vessels in the esophagus that can suddenly bleed. It's a horrible way to die and I'm doing everything I can think of to avoid that result.

Sassy
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heart breaking, I'm terribly sorry for her and her family may god be with her. Thank you lilgolden73
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Saskia, I forgot to add, they do have some of the dementia as well, very heartbreaking and they are young
Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very sad Thank you for the reminder how serious alcoholism can be.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Wow! That's heartbreaking but definately good reminder why sobriety is key. May God bless & comfort you during this time
Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your friend.

I am grateful for the years of recovery that I have and try to never take it for granted.