Notices

I know there is a issue but where to start.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know there is a issue but where to start.

Hi

I am finding it hard to say I have a issue

I drink every day and all so this at least once a week leads to taking drugs.

I wish to stop..

But I am finding it hard to admit to my self there is a issue and I seem to say to my self often that the issue is the drugs and not the drink but the reality is one leads to the other.....

I have been sober for 5 months last year and I felt good...

But the mind took over and a drink lead to a further one and now it is worse than before...

I dont drink in the day but at night that one drink leads to 10...

If any one can give me some idea as this time I am finding it very hard to stop...........

Thanks

Bread
Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bread

I don't know why but having difficulty admitting it is a problem seems to be common. Maybe it's just that some part of us doesn't want to stop so we make excuses so we can carry on. I drank daily in the evenings too, and I kept saying it wasn't a problem because I didn't drink in the day and never got into trouble... sad fact is that it doesn't matter how far down the scale we slide we'll always be able to come up with some reason to carry on drinking. Even after I quit I kept having these doubts thinking maybe I was over reacting. But thing was alcohol was very damaging to me. I knew it but somehow didn't want to give it up. When I came here and read about AVRT that cleared up a lot for me and made it possible for me to quit. Have you looked into any recovery programs before?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it starts with you only you can stop it killing you and you can do this in everty single day by not drinking/using
if you can it might be a good idea to talk to a gp as they can give you more of a idea what to expect during withdrawal
Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi bread. Welcome to SR. It's an amazing site and you will learn so much.
Is the problem that your addiction hasn't interfered with your life yet? Maybe you are carrying on with no real penalty at this stage. The fact that you are posting here shows you DO think it's harmful for you. If you look at drinking guidelines you can't consume much before it is bad for your body and mind.
I was in a position where i might have been able to keep at that level indefinitely, but I knew it was progressive and stopping has taken a great weight off my mind.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for the reply...

@ Hypro

I know this i my problems,

I all ways kid my self that I can moderate it.

This is the first place I look.

@ Brain..

Thanks I may well do..

@Feeling

There is massive cost I do hold down a job but spend a huge amount on the beer and more on the drugs.

I stopped last year after being found with stomach ulcer.

This has been a problem for near on 15 years now..

But I get older the problems get worse and I wish to stop and not drink again..

One thing I find scary is thinking of all the situation that I wish to drink or do drugs I find it hard to plan for any thing holidays, social interaction all seems to be thought of about getting mucked up..

Thanks

Bread
Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Bread, once you really really reach that tipping point and decide to quit, all the other stuff takes care of itself.
If you want scary, imagine yourself if you don't stop. Is that what you want to be the story of your life?
Make your plans, do your research, and give yourself a chance to make the right decision for yourself.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Posting this is an admission of sorts!

Keep trying, it will stick one day!!