Notices

Hi! New here!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! New here!

Hi everyone new member here I have been drinking pretty regularly for about 9 years now. When I was younger it was fun, acceptable, etc. Anymore I really just feel I need to quit. I am super smart and used to be really motivated lol anymore I just feel tired all the time.

I very rarely get drunk, hold a regular job but after work I am very good at having 2 beers/hr for 6 hours. This is terrible. I am a single mom, was a teen mom, put myself through college, bought a home, live within our means. But I drink alot.

So, I guess my deal is how do you quit and stick to it? I am a very scheduled type of person, it just seems like this became a habit and I do it because that's what I did yesterday and the day before and the day before etc.

Is it possible in my situation to have rules where there is no alcohol during the work week but allowed on weekends only? I am not super addicted where I must be drunk, miss work over it or any of that. I also had a surgery and during that recovery time did not drink, so possibly there is hope?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi boltsfan, welcome to SR. There is lots of advice here for you and a whole bunch of awesome people, keep reading and posting. Take it one day at a time and hang in there.

Jim
Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi boltsfan - welcome

I think most of us will tell you if you've shown you have no control over alcohol, then you have no control.

Most of us tried limiting ourselves to weekends, or only to wine, or only after a certain time of day...but things always tend to end up in the same bad place.

Its not about getting drunk or not, it's about how much control alcohol has over us, how our alcohol use affects us and those we love, and how makes us feel.

SR was really helpful in providing the support for me to change my life - I hope we can help you too

D
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Boltsfan!

I hope you will find SR helpful as I have. I think you'll find that many of us have a hard time accepting that we are alcoholics. It's not how much or how little we drink as the fact that we can't just take it or leave it. It's pretty typical to think we can drink moderately if .... but it rarely, if ever, works out that way. Some drink only on weekends, some drink only wine. I have sometimes been able to limit myself to one glass of wine a day. BUT ... it never stays at that level for long. If it's in my home, I drink it. So yes, I am an alcoholic.

You sound like you've achieved quite a bit and if you can apply that energy to stopping alcohol entirely, I think you'll see a lot of benefits. Drinking over the long term has so many health consequences, as I have found. When we drink, we often don't get the kind of good nutrition our bodies need. It may take some years to have an impact but many ultimately find that they get very fatigued and don't focus well.

Why not join our new March thread and I think you'll see you are not alone.

Sassy