Notices

Stayed sober at the bar....

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stayed sober at the bar....

Last night was an interesting event. I am a musician, so staying out of bars is almost an impossibility (that's pretty much the only kind of gigs available right now). My friend and I decided to quit together (day 11) so he came with me. It wasn't too hard to not drink, especially as the night progressed... things I noticed:

EVERYONE was decently shmammered by the end of the night. I never noticed this before cause I'm always drunk too. I always assume some of these people gotta be sober I mean... they're driving! The few who stayed sober enough to drive had left by the second set.

Drunk conversations are completely useless and void of any significance whatsoever. My friend and I hung out and smoked with a group of about 10. Everyone was loud and sloppy, paying no attention to anything anyone else was saying. Incoherence, wild laughter at ridiculous jokes, nearly falling down, comments that make absolutely no sense. We went so far as to start shouting the most absurd statements loudly in the midst of the group to try and distract someone from the belligerence, but to no effect.

Most bar patrons are in stark denial of their drinking habits. Nuff said.

This took place in my hometown (which I recently moved from) so some of my friends were there and were very encouraging when I told them that I quit for good (no pressure, lucky to have good friends). That was pretty awesome. But seeing an evening go down on a typical bar night while sober was kind of an eye opener. I went over and over in my mind the many mistakes I would likely have made that night if I had drank. How stupid did I used to look on nights like these? How many people were giggling behind my back at my behavior? This is what I hung onto for so long?

Sorry if this seems like a rant... I actually had a lot of fun, saw some friends, played some tunes, left before the fight broke out and woke up feeling awesome!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What great insight and growth you made in one night. Hope you go to a group, with your job relapse runs high. It's like great temptation every night at work, might not be so strong every time.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Awesome.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God I'm not sure if I'm ready to see that and compare my past behaviour to it. Makes me wormy just thinking about it ! How cool and sexy and witty I thought I was. Ugh. Nah, I'm leaving that particular clarity alone for awhile. But thanks for the post and the light you saw ( or didn't as the case may be ; ) )
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's always nice to be sober around drunk people. My brother had a party last night. I had to be there to make sure the house didn't burn down. There was alcohol everywhere. I often say drinking non-alcoholic beer is stupid. But I had a couple, and then realised why I don't drink them again. It's good to know your strong but don't test it too much.

Natom.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

A good friend of mine owns a small tavern and I've been to his place a few times since I've quit drinking. The more I see drunk people, the more happy I am to be sober.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

The "gift" of music in recovery. What a JOY..!!!!

I for myself never played and instrument, however,
both of my kids, whom are now grown, learned
and played the Trombone and French Horn thru
out their school yrs, now teach it to the little ones.

The a Joy of listening to music and placing it close
to my belly while in both of my pregnancies and
then hearing and seeing both of my kids play, so
talented. What a Joy. What a Blessing. What a gift.
I'm a proud parent.

I wish you continued sharing of your talent in music
in recovery and sobriety for all to hear and appreciate.

What A Gift in recovery to be ever so grateful for.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is so cool. I mean not really but you know what I mean, its kind of a blessing to see that kind of thing.
I havent been in the thick of it that much yet since Ive been sober.
I think I would throw up if I had to see myself drunk in a bar. My last episode had me drunk-singing at an open mic with a crackhead girl hanging on me and moo-ing along and we were just like BEST friends...ugh.
Time before that I was skank-dancing with numerous people, one of them a gorgeous girl that I later found out was a he/she...lol. The bartender whom I knew "unfriended" on FB after that incident.

All of this stuff is stuff I would NEVER EVER do over my DEAD BODY if I was sober. Its amazing really the courage alcohol gives you. Unfortunately that is usually NOT a good thing.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

a great big congrats to you
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
That is so cool. I mean not really but you know what I mean, its kind of a blessing to see that kind of thing.
I havent been in the thick of it that much yet since Ive been sober.
I think I would throw up if I had to see myself drunk in a bar. My last episode had me drunk-singing at an open mic with a crackhead girl hanging on me and moo-ing along and we were just like BEST friends...ugh.
Time before that I was skank-dancing with numerous people, one of them a gorgeous girl that I later found out was a he/she...lol. The bartender whom I knew "unfriended" on FB after that incident.

All of this stuff is stuff I would NEVER EVER do over my DEAD BODY if I was sober. Its amazing really the courage alcohol gives you. Unfortunately that is usually NOT a good thing.

Agreed... One thing that really struck me is those kind of pal-around relationships we all used to make every night at the bar which end up no where. I actually met a guy there who I have met 3 times before!! It took him and my friend and I half the night to realize we had all hung out at other bars before, we just couldn't remember. I even have pics of him on my phone! Hahaha. What was I doing? I can't wait to start remembering people I meet and conversations.