Notices

alcoholics, before you ever had your first drink

Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Started having the odd beer by the age of 10-12. Was a moderate drinker for years, used to despise people who drink to get drunk. Did a short stint as a binge drinker when I was 20, then went back to moderate drinking. Until recently, that is.

Not sure when it changed exactly. It did though.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My parents tell me that when I was 3 they had to put a chain on my door to keep me in at night. I would get up, move a kitchen chair over to the counter, get some sweets, go to the refrigerator and get a beer, have a little party, then go back to bed.

I have no recollection of it, but sadly that's not the only drinking I've ever done that I can't recollect.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I remember when i was about 16 i stole some of my dads gin. My family let me start drinking at family parties when i was 18, beer, wine, champange, congac, grappa all in one night. I loved the feeling but didn't start really abusing alcohol well into my 20's
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bigs and PTA. Interesting how our drinking progressed, when we began to live alone. I suppose its not about why, but just stopping it. I've learned a lot from this site - As I really thought, if you get to age 40 and never had drink problem, you are off the hook. Big eye opener for me!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

I was a sugar fiend long before I drank alcohol.

And I didn't sleep well.

And I finished off what was leftover in the wine glasses by the age of 9.....

oops
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

my parents weren't drinkers either..
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tammy47 View Post
No, never felt that from young age. In fact I went through my life drinking normal, so to speak, (from late teens to late 30s), just drank odd glass of wine if dining out, or few beers in bar. (never drank at home) Never the one to get really drunk, in fact looked after most of my drunken friends. So whats odd is, age 39 (I'm now 47) I moved into my own place. Living alone, I began to have the odd glass of wine and graduated to bottle to bot and half most nights for last years (experiencing black outs, texting/phoning people) UCK and spent most days hungover at work and come home time, mouth salavating for wine! It just crept up on me. Which is why I am finding it so hard to realize now I'm an alki. Is there anyone else here on SR who developed it later in life?
Yup. You can count me in on this one. I didn't start drinking heavy until I was 35. Same thing for me - was always able to socially drink and then all of a sudden I couldn't. It snuck up and once it grabbed hold it was like climbing a mountain to get out of its clutches.

Good to hear a story similar to mine another reason why I love SR so much!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Not sure when I took my first drink, maybe 16. But, I used to have a sip of cough syrup at night, (age 12) I thought I liked the taste. Later, I realized that brand was about 35% alcohol.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terry77 View Post
Did you know deep down that you would love getting drunk?
Nope, I took my first drink in my early teens. But it was never an issue. For 3 decades I enjoyed drinking 6 or 8 times each year. Yes, there were times I enjoyed being intoxicated, but I can honestly say that alcohol was a take or leave it proposition and I almost always chose to "leave it". I had no urges, did not drink at home, never drank during the day etc. I would have a 6 pack in my fridge for months without ever thinking about drinking it. It was only there to offer to beer drinking friends when they visited.

That started to quickly change roughly 6 years ago. I'm not sure how exactly and I'm not sure why, I just know that it did and it has not been pretty.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

alcohol is a drug in liquid form and its habit forming. so it is no mystery why some people managed to drink socially for years and some do not because if you put enough alcohol into your system eventually you will form an addiction.

For me I started drinking at 10 years old and was binge drinking at 13.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

At 15, I drank 3 beers and vomited and passed out. My body did not want alcohol from the get go....
Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yeah I saw my dad drink, in fact he's a recovering alcoholic now too. I thought, hey this makes him happy and funny maybe it'll be fun. Well it was, too much fun.

We got sober together, I ****** up again and was off the wagon for a few months. Now I'm 11 months sober and he's 1 year 9 months sober.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

@ Tammy. I was totally against drinking most my life I had family members that struggled wit drink, I also didn't want my kids around it, so I never drank until after my kids left home, so at 47 I started drinking from the first it was binge drinking, now 6 years later Im done, feels great to be back to myself
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No, not at all. I remember smelling hard liquor and a child and thought it was vile and could not understand why anyone would drink that. It also wasn't love at first taste. It was when I realized that my shyness went away that I became hooked.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I hated the taste of alcohol as a kid, it did nothing for me.

Then I discovered that if I mixed it with lemonade, it became bearable. Not nice exactly, but if I held my nose and just drank it straight down, I could get the effect without tasting it.

I was actively encouraged to drink by parents who thought a drunk child was amusing....but that's another story.

I was an alcoholic in the making all along.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I was about ten years old and when my mom and dad went out I used to drink the gin that was left over from xmas....Even though it tasted disgusting I still kept going back to it...When the gin started getting low I topped it up with water and moved onto the whisky...To this day they have never said anything but I'm sure they would've known....
Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I never drank as a child or teenager ,I was only into sports ,sports junkie I guess, both my parents drank and smoked but I didnt start drinking till early 20's when real life started , now 20 + years later wishing i never started
Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I never "got" the appeal of drinking. Pot was my magic substance. Then after five years my system got immune to it. I turned to drinking for a buzz when I was about 40. it quickly escalated out of control.