Notices

Friday

Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday

It is Friday and I am happy to say its going to be an amazing sober weekend!!! It has been awhile.
Most of my social club goes to bars after our activities so inevitably end up being around alcohol. I'm okay with that. Worst thing for me is being alone and depressed.
Anyone else is in a similar situation?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job Lifewillgetbet!

I'm 2 months sober today and also looking forward to a clear headed weekend. My gf finally said enough a few months ago and started doing things with work friends on the weekends. We're still together, things are much better but she has her nights out which leaves me alone in an empty house. I do support her social life, it helps her mentally and she needs that.

I tend to change things up from my old routines. It helps me deal with the loneliness and depression and I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Instead of slamming down beers and watching the hockey game I'll head over to an AA members house to watch the game and slam down Fresca I've being doing home renovations on some Saturday nights, reading books again, going for walks with my dogs, Skyping with my kids who are away at school. One Saturday night I even went to the grocery store...because I could!

For me at least, during my past attempts to quit on my own I ended up feeling sorry for myself which really led to feeling alone. Now I'm embracing the sobriety, doing things I always wanted to do even if it is going for a walk. It's a new life for all of us so try to think of it as a positive. Change it up, mix it up, spoil yourself! So many cool things to do that don't involve drinking and of course no guilt, shame or hangover in the morning

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi Life, sorry you feeling lonely and depressed. It can be a very lonely time. And even being around others (when drinking) you still feel somewhat alone. I've started a meditation class and joined a weekly secular meeting, and am finding new sober friends (have gone for coffee with girls from both in last weeks) and having things in common, helps prevent me feeling so lonely. Just some suggestions, but I understand it takes time to want to make the effort in early days.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alva View Post
Nice job Lifewillgetbet!

I'm 2 months sober today and also looking forward to a clear headed weekend. My gf finally said enough a few months ago and started doing things with work friends on the weekends. We're still together, things are much better but she has her nights out which leaves me alone in an empty house. I do support her social life, it helps her mentally and she needs that.

I tend to change things up from my old routines. It helps me deal with the loneliness and depression and I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Instead of slamming down beers and watching the hockey game I'll head over to an AA members house to watch the game and slam down Fresca I've being doing home renovations on some Saturday nights, reading books again, going for walks with my dogs, Skyping with my kids who are away at school. One Saturday night I even went to the grocery store...because I could!

For me at least, during my past attempts to quit on my own I ended up feeling sorry for myself which really led to feeling alone. Now I'm embracing the sobriety, doing things I always wanted to do even if it is going for a walk. It's a new life for all of us so try to think of it as a positive. Change it up, mix it up, spoil yourself! So many cool things to do that don't involve drinking and of course no guilt, shame or hangover in the morning

Good luck and keep us posted
This is such a great post-thank you!