Notices

Waking up soaking wet

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Waking up soaking wet

Waking up soaking wet, how common is this among problem drinkers? What sort of percentage would you say it had happened to?

I must have got through about 20 different mattresses and every time I got a new one I promised that I wouldn't drink excessively again and the expenditure on a new one would help me prevent this (at times I even left a cover off in the theory it would help prevent me from drinking to excess). Not too long some time later I'd wake up soaking wet and feeling like hell.

It wasn't just my own bed either, but friends who were kind enough to let me stay, their beds. friends sofas, friends floors etc etc No one said anything, but they must have know, and I caught more than one or two hints. I'd feel like a bag of rubbish and let people treat me like it because of it.

I'd wake up at a friends, try and hide it and sometimes even go back out on the lash still wet and stinking like a corpse. It would make me feel so apologetic I'd let people treat me like dirt and think I deserved it.

Drink, what a piece of sh@te it is.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If your talking about excessive sweating then yes and it was bad. Drenching wet, I would throw the covers off of me and within moments I was not only drenched but suffering from terrible chills.

It got so bad for me, I would sleep with a plastic sheet on top of my fitted bed sheet and lay two towels over that. Still, most times the top sheet and sometimes even the comforter would be soaked through.

I also always woke up with the bed sheets and comforter all twisted about. Since I quit drinking, my bed, for the most part, looks barely slept in.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Plastic sheet on your bed would be a good idea. Do you also think it be pee when you pass out?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zapped

yeah..waking up soaked in sweat everyday no matter if I drank heavy or a few, happened to me for 4 months before I quit of of pure fear. scared the shxt out of me..thought I had cancer or something. It means the alcohol is damaging your nervous system...you're going to be in the hospital within 12month if you don't stop. try aa again.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If its pee, than me too. Not all the time. It was fairly random. I could be completely plastered and nothing for months , then lots of times in a row. Even better when your doing it and someone else wakes up to it. My god it's from ain't it ?
Here's a confession : I stayed at a friends recently in their caravan in the yard. My 11 yr old daughter and I slept in the double bed In it. I went to bed trashed, she was already asleep, wet the bed, and in the morning bringing the sheets in to wash actually blamed it on my daughter. Don't tell me, I know, the shame was horrific.
I've never told anyone that particular tale before. Now I can't sleep, but I'm awake to go to the loo !!!! Never ever again will I go through that.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have never dank. But it is your body dealing with the withdrawal . That's what I am doing now,and then add other symptoms, all of which are my body trying to get my attention for what ever drug of choose, mine was prescription legal Dr approved drugs.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isn't this a withdrawal symptom? I had it a bit when I was drinking but when I stopped...! It freaked me out so much the first time it happened really badly. But generally all the time it was bad the last year of my drinking. Not only my skin though but my hair had this constant greasy feel to it. I got to the point of thinking 'do you want to be this sweaty all the time or are you going to stop drinking?'. I had horrendous night sweats for nearly two weeks when I quit and it has never happened since.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes...actually would switch out night shirts in the middle of the night.I found ibuphrofen and ALOT ALOT of water would slow this withdrawal symptom down.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think I really sweated, but I sure did my share of bed peeing.

GEESh, I don't miss that one bit!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never peed the bed, my reptilian brain must really have its sh*t together. Wish I could say the same for some of my drunken hook-ups, as waking up next to a drunk stranger who has peed in your bed and is still sleeping next to you is a very awkward experience. That said, like others here, I would sweat like crazy most nights. So bad that yes, the bed would be soaked. I was never comfortable, actually waking up during those sweats was scary, I remember being cold and wet, shaking and feeling confused. You are probably talking about pee but since others mentioned the cold night sweats I figured I'd chime in. Somewhat related, I used to also SPIT everywhere, even in my house, when I was drunk. I'd always cough and sputter when I was drinking, and when I was alone instead of getting up, I was too lazy and just spit up whatever came up on the wall next to the couch. It didn't show much because the wall is exposed brick. I washed that wall by hand a few months ago with a rag, it was disgusting. I was in a really low place!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was actively drinking I thought the "night sweats" were because of perimenopause symptoms. After I stopped drinking and it went away completly as well as the majority of my daytime "hot flashes", I accepted it was a withdrawal symptom of the alcohol poison leaving my system. I do not miss this at all. I am trying to learn to sleep without the sound of the fan now as I had that running all the time! I may even go buy myself some fancy sheets now that they won't be ruined!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sweat Jojo69 .. and I smelled horrible for many days.

I went into rehab then straight into AA in 1989. I haven't sweat or stank since then (well, not because of booze).

AA was the only thing that kept me from repeating the errors of the past ... that broke the cycle and got me on the path to sobriety.

All the best to you.

Bob R
Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oh i hated that.
waking up and feeling like you just took a greasy shower.
having to flip the pillow over

it will go away
Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank YOU!

I am so glad I found this board and this thread! I thought I was going crazy with these night sweats. Now I know why. It's been a week and it's still kinda bad...........hope they stop soon.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

They will stop! You have gotten through the horrible part.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yup, I remember the sweats. Just horrible. Never wet the bet but that was a "yet" for me.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Beating the sweats and anxiety

When I was quitting I would sweat like I was literally in a sauna. I would rarely sleep and my anxiety was through the roof. My sheets were soaked and I changed shirts at least 6x a day. What worked for me were a script of clonazapam an anti-anxiety and a anti-psychotic welbutrin. Anti psychotics quite the mind the the clonazapam replaces the alcohol. I tried countless times but only with a doctors care can I honestly say I am on the way to recovery.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to get terrible night sweats and sweats while eating. All of it went away. Your post reminded me of how terrible it was. So, thanks. It will probably go away as your liver realizes that life is going to be much easier now.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Been there , done that, years ago.

Today, I'm on Day One. Guess I'll get to experience that sweating and all again.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was sweating at night pretty bad for the first week. Seems to be ok now though. I agree with Kimmers, drinking more water before you sleep/having some to hand at night seems to reduce it a bit.