Notices

Alcoholism, childhood sex abuse, and control issues

Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism, childhood sex abuse, and control issues

I woke up this morning and was thinking about my alcoholism. I was thinking about my lack of ability to control (I mean remain abstinent), my inability to be assertive, people pleasing, etc., that always end up compromising my sobriety. For some reason, I suddenly began to see some sort of vague link between this and childhood sex abuse I had stopped thinking about long ago. While I don't think about the abuse anymore, I do still have very clear memories about my feeling toward my inability to maintain my boundaries and lack of control over what happened. I don't know if this is the place to post this, but is this a common linkage? Can anyone provide more insight on this that might aid in overcoming my alcoholism?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this. My

Issues stem from the same
Childhood
Memories.
Ones that I have chosen to suppress with substance abuse and eating disorders all mylife. I've only just started to face them last year. Ta so tough, I won't lie. Keep posting here I am site alot can relate. Sorry I sont have any advice.
I'm in a similar place
Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WatsAllThisThen View Post
I woke up this morning and was thinking about my alcoholism. I was thinking about my lack of ability to control (I mean remain abstinent), my inability to be assertive, people pleasing, etc., that always end up compromising my sobriety. For some reason, I suddenly began to see some sort of vague link between this and childhood sex abuse I had stopped thinking about long ago. While I don't think about the abuse anymore, I do still have very clear memories about my feeling toward my inability to maintain my boundaries and lack of control over what happened. I don't know if this is the place to post this, but is this a common linkage? Can anyone provide more insight on this that might aid in overcoming my alcoholism?

Thanks.
I'm very close linked to a source involved with child abuse against the catholic church, at a very high level.

I'm positive it's not my place to offer ANY advice at all because it didn't directly involve me, but I can say that getting it out there and seeking support is the best option. The entire case was built around the suicide of an abused member of the church. It's not something I would like to see happen to anyone else I know.

It's very impotant to expres your concerns to someone you trust the most, someone who won't make you feel vulnerable and you can go from there.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome WatsAllThisThen

You'll find a ton of understanding and encouragement here

I think a lot of us have suffered some kind of childhood trauma, and that alcohol and other drugs have been our maladaptive attempts to deal with the ripples from those events.

It was certainly the case with me.

I had to deal with that trauma every bit as much as I needed to deal with the more obvious problem of my alcoholism.

Have you seen a counsellor about this at all?

D
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Yes, I can totally relate to every word of your post and want you to know you're not alone. There are many here who understand.

Getting sober will give you the clarity of thought you need to begin to see the reality of your past. I'm 9 months sober, and feeling stronger in so many ways. My life and relationships have improved in a way I never thought possible. I'm now ready to start dealing with the past, to move forward and grow into the person I deserve to be.

It starts with getting sober and maintaining that.

My very best wishes to you xxx