Notices

I would have sold myself short!!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I would have sold myself short!!

I have no control over other alkies, that seems to be my issue lately....

I believe anyone who has the desire to stop drinking is a part of AA. Anyone who has a desire I would like to help.....

Even if you are drunk.. I mean isn't that what we do?

But I can counsel someone, pray with them,share my experience, strength and hope with them but unless they are willing to stop and take suggestions I just can't make them want this.....

If they don't have that desire they are not ready.....

It took me to have an extremely low bottom to finally surrender..

I am as powerless over another's alcoholism as I am over mine. Sometimes I think because I have had a miracle in my life in this program that I can give someone else hope and motivation to want to find recovery.....

Not to egotistic huh?..

Maybe that is true but I think it has to be God.......

I can not take away their loneliness and pain.....

I have no control.......

I realize I can't jump into their skins, reset their goals or decide what is best for them. Believe me I have tried.....

They may actually become more productive if I don't push them and do it for them....

I suppose I need to detach with love......

So today I have to let them go and just pray for them till they really are ready. And when they are I will be here for them......

I know now that I can carry the message , not the alkie.....

In the Big Book it says nothing will so much insure immunity from a drink as intensive work with another alcoholic.

So I just seek out another newcomer who wants it. It's hard to let them go. I do care.

It takes a lot for me to give up on a person..

I am not even sober that long but I know when I reach out to people here at online meetings and at my face to face meetings I stay sober.

When I reach out I feel somewhat accountable for my actions and that seems to work real well for me.

People are gonna die from this illness, go crazy or end up in jail due to a DUI.

I wish they could only see that it just takes a little bit of effort everyday to get and stay sober and find a wonderful life.

One year ago I tried to commit suicide because of my depression and alcoholism and addiction.

I had the jails, Institutions and suicide attempts. I was at the jumping off place, Live or die. I survived and then I chose to live..

If you would have asked me what I would have expected from AA and surrendering to my alcoholism a year ago I would have sold myself short. That is how good I feel today. I am just soooo grateful and I just love God so much and hope I never take this feeling for granted.

Today I am clean and sober, I have a ton of new friends in the program, I am gonna be singing in my church choir.

I got my drivers license back after 7 years a few months ago and Now I just got a great job with great earning potential.

In a few months I hope to get my stuff out of storage and get my own place. I lost everything to this illness, EVERYTHING!! House, Car, Boat, Hubby, Son.

I keep praying and doing the next right thing and amazingly good things happen to me. I am so blessed.

Hubby back, Son back..

How do you make someone who is in the grips of their illness see that?

Continuing in their drinking and old behaviors is their choice and they will have to face the consequences......

I believe the worst consequense is living in that pain and remorse and shame everyday of the week.

I haven't felt shame in a very long day, I wake up smiling and Thanking God for being alive. I love my life and it keeps getting better.

If I have reached out in all sincerity and they just are not ready I do not have to save them or beat myself up cuz they weren't ready.......

I do get attached to newcomers but I will not allow myself to get hurt.....

But if you want my help I am right there. Let's go. Let's do this together.......

Today My recovery is the most important thing but I can pray for them and I always do..

We can do this Peeps!!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

deeker, I learned from the get go in meetings that I had to let go of trying to help others, I was there for me, and only me. I sponsered a couple of people, and I loved it. (Now work full time, in school, helping my son in school, I don't have time...)

It is, in a sense, a very selfish program, and for me I had to be. I was always helping others my entire life, putting them before me, so getting sober and doing "me" was so rewarding.

Great post as always deek.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW. Very inspiring.
Gives me hope when I hear about folks that have made it out from under the rock.
If they can do it maybe I can too.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What an amazing post...that really put into perspective a few things I've been wrestling with. ..thank you for sharing