Notices

Im on day 3...

Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Im on day 3...

... and am seriously considering drinking again. I don't want to and I keep telling myself that. I keep trying to remind myself that the urge will pass but right now I feel like I am slipping. I believe that if I keep working on my sobriety and what AA has taught me so far that I can remain sober. But, right now... its really hard. Night time has always been super hard for me and I did not anticipate my class being cancelled so Im all alone in this house with a lot of free time. No one is here to call me on my drinking but myself and my resolve is weak.

I feel a little pathetic right now, but I think thats just my limbic brain telling me to go drink.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is hard.
If it wasn't we'd all just quit and never look back

3 days is especially hard - I was barely out of bed then.

You're doing the right thing to reach out here newhope
Is SR your only means of recovery support?

This technique was useful to me for dealing with urges and cravings:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Newhope, I know how you feel, I'm on day 1! I live alone and have no one to call me on it either. Nights are incredibly hard for me. It's like, as soon as the sun goes down, my mind starts yelling for me to drink. Hang in there, just make it through the night. Just worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. I'll do the same...

I know I'll be grateful in the morning - Im sure you will too
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
... No one is here to call me on my drinking but myself...
That's the only person you need. Be strong my friend. It's worth it.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

Newhope, here's what I've been doing in these early days (day 13)...\

When I really want a drink, I think of the most indulgent thing that I can do that involves no alcohol. Like watching a cheesy movie, buying a new book, or ordering some food (today I ordered in sweet crepes and ate them while watching a movie, yum).

Basically instead of focusing on the one thing I can't do, I focus on all the rewards that I can have because I'm not doing the one worst thing. It's like compartmentalizing the impatient, impulsive, childish part of my brain and saying, "No, you can't have a beer. But how would you like some ice cream?!!"

I'd encourage you to think of something you normally don't let yourself indulge in and doing that tonight. It might help the extra time feel like a treat rather than a burden.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, SR is mostly my source of inspiration to remain sober. I come here and read what people have posted to distract myself from drinking. But, I do read the big book and attend AA meetings when I can (which I admit is less often than I should). But, you know the urge is already passing now and I realize I am better than alcohol and I don't need it but that I really just want it from time to time. My hope is that soon the cravings will subside with time and I wont want to drink either.

Here's hoping...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Newhope, here's what I've been doing in these early days (day 13)...\
It's like compartmentalizing the impatient, impulsive, childish part of my brain and saying, "No, you can't have a beer. But how would you like some ice cream?!!"
That seriously just made me laugh out loud! Thank you for sharing that with me as it not only is making me feel stronger in my resolve to quit drinking, but it allowed me to laugh at myself in a positive way. Can't wait till I am at day 13 too. Thank you.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heya newhope, congrats on making it to day three. To get over the hump, or even just to get through this minute I've listed why I need to not drink, tell myself I can do something for 15 minutes that I'll be glad to have done (laundry, dishes, organizing, etc), if that's too much of a stretch just make out my to do list for tomorrow, if that's too much of a stretch listen to some good music, read, play a game.. Hang in there.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was in a locked in treatment center for the first week, I so commend people that can do this on their own. I was just to dependent on it.
You can do this. Remember you will be the one to know if you relapse, and you will be the one that gets to wake up the next day & be grateful for another 24 hours sober.
Prayers!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted. I'm about to fall sleep on day 2 and if it wasn't for this site, I know I would've drank. Thanks for my inspiration to make it to day 3. hope you're keeping your chin up!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

... and am seriously considering drinking again. I don't want to and I keep telling myself that. I keep trying to remind myself that the urge will pass but right now I feel like I am slipping. I believe that if I keep working on my sobriety and what AA has taught me so far that I can remain sober. But, right now... its really hard. Night time has always been super hard for me and I did not anticipate my class being cancelled so Im all alone in this house with a lot of free time. No one is here to call me on my drinking but myself and my resolve is weak.

I feel a little pathetic right now, but I think thats just my limbic brain telling me to go drink.
The only way I got to day 11 was AA meetings and on here so u have came to the right place stay strong day 3 is bloody hard the power behind the drink is insane but if I can do it any one can haha stay strong and just keep thinking u r worth everything good cause u r keep on here they r great x
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Rosie199

D
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Like you said you know it will pass. It gets better!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ice cream not beer made me laugh too! and i dont even like icecream! seriously though it is a good idea to indulge in whatever you want. I told myself i could eat anything i liked and just had take out all week. i figured i would have been spending it on booze anyway. its the night of day 7 for me tonight. i never thought i would make it this far. it does get better, well it has for me. im not thinking about it as much and not crying as much. its not easy, but life isnt is it? It is easier than feeling like **** every morning though, that is true. Just try and keep keeping on. Have a shower, clean something ( my car looks immaculate!) do something instead of stewing on it. youll probably still think about it while your doing stuff but not as much. Its worth it to carry on so you dont have to go through day 1 and 2 again ! go for it !
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made it to day 4 guys! Thanks for all the support.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I made it to day 4 guys! Thanks for all the support.
Great job NewHope. That is excellent news.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

keep going, it gets so much easier. i have lost craving and obsession completely.
i am at year and half, and i have been where you are.

just keep going and fight all the way.

and ICE CREAM is my new friend
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 too & have the same feelings...

I am at home all alone feeling exactly like you. No one to hold me accountable except - my ANTABUSE! I asked my doc for a prescription of this stuff because it makes you severely ill when you drink. Therefore, less battling in the brain about it. Instead of jumping in the drink, I'm going to the gym. The gym is the only place where I experience absolutely no triggers. You might try out either or both of those options. And keep a journal. I just started one and it helps. I also bought a book about Jane Velez Mitchell's road to recovery from alcohol. And I found this site because I was searching for reasons to stay sober today. Thanks to all for sharing and let's stay sober! There are more reasons to stay sober than to drink. For me, I'd rather be a skinny sober person than a fat drunk person. It's all about my health. I want to get married and look good in my wedding dress. I want to be healthy when I get pregnant. The list goes on and on. Thanks for sharing everyone!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Android App?

Does anyone know if there is an app for this site? I find it so supportive and inspiring to be with all of you and your experiences/struggles/successes. I need to carry you around with me all day...I'm new to sobriety...day 3!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by serenity9 View Post
Does anyone know if there is an app for this site? I find it so supportive and inspiring to be with all of you and your experiences/struggles/successes. I need to carry you around with me all day...I'm new to sobriety...day 3!
I think there is something in this thread about it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-sr-app.html

PS

And Welcome to SR!