Notices

What's on my mind

Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's on my mind

I have used alcohol for many, many years to supress unwanted feelings and emotions. When I finally had the talk about my problem with my BF, I said that either I can talk about things that aren't making me happy or I can drink. He told me to talk to him about anything and everything. But when I do talk to him, he has an excuse for everything. It's so irritating.

On that thought, I do not like confrontation at all. I was drowning every emotion I had about everything with alcohol. All these emotions are still in me and want to get out. Can I say what is on my mind? If I don't like something and have a vallid thought about something, can I say it? If someone is not nice to me, can I tell them what I think as well? I have so many thoughts and emotions and opinions that are going through my head now. It is also hard to bite my tongue when people around don't do the same. I am very educated and intelligent and people may actually learn something from what I have to say. I don't know what to do and for the first time and what people to actually know what I have to say. I have been walked over for years and I would like to say what's on my mind.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
2 -25-13; the first day of a new beginning.
Sounds like you need a sponsor to bounce these things off, and to get things off your chest.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sponsors

Yes, they are great for bouncing ideas and problems off of. And you can change sponsors, down the road, if need be, if you think you need a different sponsor.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Patty we just talked about this at group last night. The counselor suggested to us who are passive and passive aggressive (I am PA) to do some research on assertive communication styles.
Try it, it might help. I know I will be looking into this as well. I too never speak my mind and in the end.... I lose!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will look into a sponsor and I will do some research on assertive communication styles. I think that will help!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Isn't it amazing how intelligent and well educated many of us are ... yet so naive and ill prepared for ordinary life.

I had to go to AA and ask an oldtimer to help me save my life and teach me how to live.

All the best.

Bob R