Notices

Korsakoff aka "wet brain" worry, plus introduction

Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Korsakoff aka "wet brain" worry, plus introduction

I'm Allistair, 22, and live near Manchester in England. I almost never drunk before last year, having a can of beer at new year and special occassions. But last year I started drinking every weekend, on each day I'd have at least 6 double vodkas, usually quite a bit more. I would be sick quite often, not remember parts of the night out the next day, and my hands would be noticeably shaky the next day sometimes.

I recently came to my senses and decided to go easy on alcohol for a bit. I'm not going to stop totally but I am going to cut down on it by a lot. I want to know what people think about whether I might have already caused some irreparable damage. Korsakoffs syndrome came up when I was doing some searching. It sounded quite scary. It said long term alcohol abuse could cause problems, but I don't know what sort of time is meant by "long term". I would like to know what other people think, if it's likely that I might already have caused damage. Thank you for any guidance you can offer.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Allistair!

No one here can diagnose you, so if you're worried see a doctor.

I will advise you that, if you have a drinking problem you will have a problem with just "going easy for a bit."
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I think it's unlikely that in one year you've managed to do any serious damage, but you never know. Everyone's body is different. To put your mind at ease, go to your doctor and get some blood work done. I was in two weeks ago and within half an hour they were able to give me the all clear on my liver and kidneys, which was a big relief (I'd been drinking daily for about 6 years).

Also, remember the rule about the internet and medical info... if you have a cold and google your symptoms, you'll walk away thinking you have cancer. I've found the same stuff with alcohol-related problems. Most of the info out there is on the most extreme situations (cirrosis, brain damage, death during detox). It's hard to find facts about the physical situation for those of us who haven't gotten to that point yet.

So see your doctor; s/he can tell you what's really going on and save you the anxiety.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you want to moderate your drinking, this is not the forum for you. This is for people who want to quit. Do a google search on MM drinking. Will find a forum on moderating your drinking.

Talk to your doctor about wet brain. He/she will give you a better answer on this.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here is a story I have not posted at SR before.

My wife's best friend has a beautiful daughter. The girl married a guy who was kind of "wild and crazy," but before having his second child he decided to straighten up and quit drinking. About six months after his second son was born, he went to a party. He hadn't had anything to drink for a couple years, and drank something different from what he drank before. He drove home, threw up in his car in his driveway, and choked to death on his vomit. His wife found him the next morning.

So, there is a chance that the next time you drink, you will die (and not even know it's coming).
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alistair - welcome

'Dr Google' can be pretty scary.

I don't recommend it - while looking up symptoms can be useful sometimes, sites are very generic - I used to freak myself out on a regular basis.

The only way you can know for sure is see your Doctor - tests need to be run etc.

While it might be unlikely you have wet brain, or will drop dead with the next drink - there's a whole lot of physical, & even mental, that will come with heavy prolonged and regular drinking.

What health problems are associated with excessive alcohol use?
Excessive drinking both in the form of heavy drinking or binge drinking, is associated with numerous health problems, including—
  • Chronic diseases such as liver cirrhosis (damage to liver cells); pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas); various cancers, including liver, mouth, throat, larynx (the voice box), and esophagus; high blood pressure; and psychological disorders.
  • Unintentional injuries, such as motor-vehicle traffic crashes, falls, drowning, burns and firearm injuries.
  • Violence, such as child maltreatment, homicide, and suicide.
  • Harm to a developing fetus if a woman drinks while pregnant, such as fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
  • Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
  • Alcohol abuse or dependence.

CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol
If you're worried about your health, it makes sense to me to look at your drinking.

The sooner you stop the better your chances of complete recovery with no lasting ill-effects

D
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Allistair

The best way to avoid problems with alcohol is to stick to government guidelines and not drink more that 2 drinks a day and have 2 alcohol free days a week. At least. Short term binge drinking can cause as many problems as long term daily drinking so it is best to avoid it if you can. Even so abstinence is a completely valid option x
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please talk to your dr about your concerns and I hope that you consider stopping drinking for good.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lets say that the doctor said "in three more drinks, you will have wet brain"
would that make you stop.
I know, because i am alcoholic, that i would probably have two more drinks and really fight having the last one.

I do have a slogan that isnt AA approved but is effective in my recovery.
NEVER GOOGLE ANYTHING.