Notices

The first time you thought this to yourself?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Smile The first time you thought this to yourself?

If you used to think "alcohol will cheer me up" a lot, when was the first time since you got sober that you thought "x will cheer me up", with x being anything other than alcohol? Who/what was x?

It's the start of Day 17 for me and I just suddenly thought to myself, "oh, I'll switch over to watch the tennis; that will cheer me up."

And I realised that it was the first time in, like, 15 years that I'd thought something like that instead of "a glass/bottle of whatever will cheer me up". It felt so fresh and great!

Over to you.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember the first time I looked forward to a cup of tea, that was weird. Normally I would only drink it to help with a hang over or as a distraction at work. I never drank tea at the weekends, just alcohol, now I drink tons of the stuff. And it always cheers me up
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm only on my 13th day and already I can feel myself getting better at this... recognizing when I'm hungry, when I'm thirsty, when I feel like reading, when I feel like going for a walk, etc. I hadn't thought about it but you're totally right. It's been years since I knew how to entertain myself without a glass of something!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally get what you mean!!
It took me awhile and then I was like "oh yeahhhh!"
It's been a couple different things, my glass of lemon-fizzy-water at night and going to the gym. Things that I wouldve laughed at before.
Unfortunately last night an old beast crept up into my mind last night when I was in a foul mood and bickering with the DH.
I very clearly thought "Uuurgh if only I could DRINK right now Id feel much better..."
And it scared me. Because it was very strong and definite, not one of those little lingering naggy beer cravings I had in the beginning. This was a resentful, woe-is-me moment.
But then, I went to the gym and sweated and ran for a halfan hour, and I walked in the door like a whole new lady!!
I hope, I hope I get "gym-dependent"...or maybe I already am!!? hahaha
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys! Yay, I'm so glad we can all appreciate the finer things in life now.

ArcticSA, well done for staring the beast down and going to the gym instead! That's really going to encourage me for the rest of today.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Any time I have anxiety or stress, I go for a run. Works great and I feel great afterwards.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah - I'm just relearning how to have fun.
For instance I watched the Oscars the other night - sober! And I really liked being able to remember it the next day and talk with people about it. What we liked and what we didn't like.
It was cool.