Notices

"Making It Work" in Early Sobriety?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy "Making It Work" in Early Sobriety?

Did you or someone you know "grow up in the rooms?" I've yet to hear someone tell me they were brought up in the rooms, attending meetings w/ their parents since they were toddlers. Thirty years later, I'm celebrating 2yrs myself, married to a man with only 3 years and we are having a hell of a time making it work. Only been together two years, pregnant with our second child, all I can ask is, How do married, recovering spouses stay sober and keep "their side of the street clean"?! The last few weeks have been so taxing, our arguments are escalating and becoming worse. Trying to focus on myself, I talk to my sponsor, other recovering alcoholics everyday, making as many mtgs during the week as I can. Praying, reading and trying to "let go, let God". But I don't know what else to do. Seems like in my first two years of sobriety, our relationship is getting worse. Is it supposed to get worse before it gets better?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi But4TheGrace - welcome

I know a few folks here grew up in the rooms - I expect you'll hear from them

I didn't - I'm not in AA even - but I know sometimes it takes a lot to make a relationship work.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a situation exclusive to alcoholics either - I think there needs to be communication, give and take, and maybe some outside help, like counselling sometimes when things are rough?

D
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty and response.