Notices

help me please "soboxine abuse"

Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help me please "soboxine abuse"

I was not addicted to any drug before I started snorting soboxone with my ex. I wish I was educated on the drug but wishing doesn't help. I been doing it for 2 years and started with 1 mg and moved up to 2 mg a day but maybe 4 days out of 7 I might do another 1 mg later in the day. I liked soboxone because it cured my anxiety, which is really bad like scared to talk in public, always thinking everyone's looking at me, mind always racing with thoughts that was always worst at night time because I couldn't fall to sleep. Now that anxiety is right back and I dont know what to do. I am sure I have a chemical imbalance. That when I actually quite im more scared about how im gonna be mentally then physically. I really should of went to the doctors about it before. But I always refused meds because my mom always told me I was crazy and mental like my dad and needed meds. So i was kind of raised that if you was on meds you wasn't normal and noone will like you. Im really stuck right now and need advice. What is the odds of a doctor believing you when your considered an addict in there eyes and i wasn't on meds before the soboxone. That's a major reason why im stuck and dont know how to get help. I smoked weed as a teen and quite and never did any other drugs before. I am 25 now and lost.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think your first step is to go to your doctor and tell your doctor about your drug abuse and your other feelings of anxiety and other issues or concerns about your mental health. Doctors know that many people with mental health and/or chemical disorders self medicate, so Im sure this is not something they are not familiar with.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Quitting while you're still young is a great idea. The longer you use, the harder it gets to quit- just like any other drug. Ive never had an opiod/ pill problem, but I know the craziness it can lead you to- my best friend from childhood was an iv user for a few years and it changed her so much. Thankfully she's been recovered for a couple years now- it is possible!
Have you ever heard of social anxiety disorder? I have it, and what you describe sounds similar- the fear of talking in public, the fear that everyone is watching and judging you. There are non-addictive medications you can take to help with the anxiety, but you will have to go to a dr to get them. I take a medication called lexapro, and it really does help. I can't say this is the answer for you since everyone's different, but research it some.

Good luck. Keep coming back to this board to read and post. This is an incredibly supportive and informative place.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From Wikipedia- Social anxiety disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Social anxiety disorder (SAD or SAnD) (DSM-IV 300.23), also known as social phobia, is an anxiety disorder characterized by intense fear in social situations[1] causing considerable distress and impaired ability to function in at least some parts of daily life. The diagnosis of social anxiety disorder can be of a specific disorder (when only specific social situations are feared) or a generalized disorder. Generalized social anxiety disorder typically involves a persistent, intense, chronic fear of being judged by others and of being embarrassed or humiliated by one's own actions. These fears can be triggered by perceived or actual scrutiny from others. While the fear of social interaction may be recognized by the person as excessive or unreasonable, overcoming it can be quite difficult. Physical symptoms often accompanying social anxiety disorder include excessive blushing, sweating (hyperhidrosis), trembling, palpitations and nausea. Stammering may be present, along with rapid speech. Panic attacks can also occur under intense fear and discomfort. An early diagnosis may help minimize the symptoms and the development of additional problems, such as depression. Some sufferers may use alcohol or other drugs to reduce fears and inhibitions at social events. It is common for sufferers of social phobia to self-medicate in this fashion, especially if they are undiagnosed, untreated, or both; this can lead to alcoholism, eating disorders or other kinds of substance abuse. SAD is sometimes referred to as an 'illness of lost opportunities'[2][3]"
Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My first step was stop snorting it I've been doing it the correct way for months now. After alot of research what I was doing to myself. My anxiety is making it really hard to take that step and tell about what I did to myself. Im really ashamed and I have really bad social anxiety. And being ashamed makes it so much harder. I understand what you say about doctors know people self medicate themselves. I just kind of scared my doctor will not understand seeing we never meet and he doesn't know me. Im getting really close to just man up and go. Thank you for the reply.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish i had someone to talk to when i was younger. I would of understood my disorder in stead of hide it. Im afraid of not getting help now and being considered an addict. I've been trying really hard to quite the soboxone on my own that I've been making progress weaning myself off. I did alot of research and understand the drug alot now. Reading this info brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the information. I was never quite sure of what I suffered from and never really wanted to know.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are not alone. Many people drink or use drugs to calm the uncomfortable feelings you describe.

Would you consider attending an AA or NA meeting? You don't have to speak, you can just listen. Hearing what other have gone through might help you gain the courage to see your doctor. You are truly not alone.

Are you taking care of yourself physically? Eating right, drinking enough water and getting good sleep and excercise? Lack of attention in these areas will greatly increase anxiety for many people. That will be part of you recovery.
Glad you found this place.
There are so many helpful people here.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by MyCrazylife View Post
I just kind of scared my doctor will not understand seeing we never meet and he doesn't know me. Im getting really close to just man up and go. Thank you for the reply.
This says a lot about the extent of your social anxiety, that you have never met your doctor. May I suggest that you need to work on a social cure? It will be as hard as getting out to the doctor, but group therapy can help with social problems.

Actually, you don't need to go out to start--just call the NA World Services Office (818) 773-9999. Be as honest as you will be with your doctor--calling NA is the perfect way to "open up."
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MyCrazyLife

I think the idea of sober support is very important - it's good to have you here.
If you're open to the idea, why not check out a NA meeting too?

D
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You might think about checking out a program for co-occuring disorders - that means they treat addiction and mental health issues at the same time. If the suboxone is helping what you acknowledge as severe anxiety, then you might be self-medicating a mental health disorder that could be managed a different (non-addictive) way. Best of luck to you!