Notices

Binge Drinker Anxiety Havoc

Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Binge Drinker Anxiety Havoc

Hey Folks,

Reading the Posts here has helped me wrap my mind around my Binge Drinking problem. I've spent the last few years trying to figure out how to control it. There has been a lot of hit and miss success/failures in doing so. I've given up on trying to control/moderate my intake and act like a "social drinker". I'm in my early 40's and have come to terms with the fact I can't predictably regulate my intake. I'm pretty sure I have a mild case of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and binging makes the anxiety disappear. then the dopamine takes over and demands a river of alcohol till memory gaps are shuttering snapshots of blurred events. I wake up not remembering going to bed and have to deal with terrible Anxiety, Dread, Shame, Guilt (everyone's favorite I see from reading here!). My attempts have been regular bouts of teetotaling ranging from days, to weeks, to many months. I'm noted for my drastic personality change from mild mannered to socially psychotic without many boundaries. It's very sad.

Anyways I am going to talk to my doctor about my anxiety and see what he recommends be it CBT and/or mild meds. I plan on lessining my anxiety symptoms my main focus and staying away from alcohol as nothing good ever seems to come with it.

Wishing you all the best in your struggle to be yourselves.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR MyFitz

D
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi MyFitz
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi MyFitz

Welcome to SR and let us know how you got in at the Doctors.

S x
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck. In my experience, I was binging heavily and also taking medication and it did not end well. I had high anxiety in my sober moments that in retrospect I feel were due to my drinking. I had withdrawls, shakes, terrible nervousness in my brain, and instead of telling my doctor how much I was drinking, I got different meds for it. I was talking to a psychiatrist and kept getting different medications and nothing 'worked' because I had a drinking problem.

In my experience when I got sober and quit drinking, the anxiety went away. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi MyFitz and welcome.

I was a binge drinker as well, and my binges usually (but not always) were preceded by a feeling of anxiety that I wanted to replace with a feeling of drunkenness. I've been quick to become anxious all of my life, so it wasn't hard for me to justify my drinking by using my 'high strung nature' as an excuse. However, I also started binging around 19-20 years old with some long sober gaps here and there (I'm in my early 40s now) so it's hard, really, to know if my anxiety would have been as bad today if I hadn't been drinking to mask it for so long. I recently relapsed but had a period of over 2 years of deliberate, chosen sobriety and I can tell you that after about 6 months of abstinence, my anxiety levels dropped greatly - not to zero levels, but I felt better and more positive about life than I had in a long time. Looking back, it's easy to see that aside from the psychological anxiety caused by binging - the blackouts, the hangovers, the mortification - there was definitely also a biochemical thing going on as you mentioned.

My point is that if you power on through those very anxious times without resorting to alcohol, you may find a lot of relief on the other side. It will most likely get a bit worse before it gets better, and it's good to be ready for that. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you here, MyFitz. It think you're going to love us.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi MF,
thanks for sharing mate, your situation sounds similar to mine, i can understand where your coming from - best of luck with everything
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm new too Fritz.
Lets struggle together.
I stopped drinking at 1pm today.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

BigSombrero, I have also not been straight forward with GP. When he asks how my drinking is, I think (It's awesome, if you only knew!!) I say well, I don't drink very often, only a few times a month but usually 7-10 days between drinks... He says "well that sounds OK"... I failed to tell him that 20 drinks at a time and 3 days of the "Horrors" ensued. But the frequency is true, I've been struggling for years and years to avoid drinking at all. I told him I have mild anxiety that I am working through it via exercise and reduction of caffeine. So basically I have been avoiding letting my Doctor know so I could continue to try and figure out how to drink socially and not be told clinically "Son, you have a serious, serious problem and have to STOP."

Kizzie: I too have months and months of Sober Gaps, and many isolated nights of memory "Gaps". Then extreme anxiety. Oddly enough I had a bout of Panic Attacks that lasted for a few months during which I didn't drink. It was Hell. Can't say why they finally went away, that was 10 years ago. But guess what? Last night I woke up from a pretty vivid disturbing dream that left me wide awake and every inch of my body on red alert. I was ready to jump through my skin. I had to breath deep for 30 minutes to stave off what I hadn't felt for 10 years. It was the old Panic Attack coming by to see me, this of course was a very doom filled experience. I finally got to sleep and felt OK all things considered upon waking. All my nerves are RAW. I am looking forward to the day and am going to muscle through it. Calling to make my appointment and I guess I'm going to suprise my doctor with the truth this time. I hope he takes the news OK..
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Time4Change22,

Good for you, are you OK to stop without Detox? Are you an Everyday Drinker or a Binge Drinker?

MyFitz
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Binger

I'm definitely a binge drinker. I'll be okay with detox. I won't have any physical symptoms that are any worse than a regular old hangover. Even already today I'm feeling close to back to 'normal'. I binge, then have more emotional hangovers for a couple days, re coup, decide I can do it again... and so forth. That's my cycle anyway. I feel more ready and motivated this time to keep sober.
haha.. good old day one.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have had that experience myself. Alcohol helped with my anxiety at first but in the end it was actually making it worse as time went by. It got to the point that I had to drink or I would have severe panic attacks.

I've had great luck with Lexapro for anxiety. I was on 10mg but was upped to 20mg when 10 no longer worked. I haven't had a panic attack since and my anxiety has nearly disappeared. I have also been sober for 9 days which has helped.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Time4Change22,

Binge Drinkers have a monopoly on "Day One"!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

MyFitz -
I was told a by a doctor once that they at least double everything you say in regards to drinking,drugs,smoking...so they kinda know.

You sound very sober in your decision and plans, good for you! Having a plan is a great idea.

I went from years of binge drinking 17+ to 2 bottles of wine a night for the last few. I had the shakes, I couldn't remember anything. Hangovers stopped for me a long time ago so I was just toxic 24/7, even though I only drank at night. I have made it to day 54! I feel really good physically but emotionally its tough to have to feel, face, and deal with everyday hiccups. But we are all doing it!!!!
My best!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

MyFitz: Binge drinkers definitely have a monopoly on day one! If I added up all my day one's, I'd have been sober for quite some time now!

I think I'll be good until Wednesday night, then I'm going to start feeling the urge I bet. I made it 30 days in September, then only drank once in october, then november and on has been bad pretty routine. It gets the worst when I start to have a 'couple' during the week and then go heavy on the weekend. It all adds up.. I tried to moderate it to only weekends. But last week I went almost everyday and actually had a bad hangover Friday at work.
I feel like its not the booze for me, it's really anything. I prefer the term addict and not alcoholic. I know it's semantics, but my issue is that I just like to change my consciousness. I used to smoke weed A LOT, but slowed down and then actually have quit for about 6 months now. I used to also be a 'social' smoker for about 10 years, and I quit that July 2nd. Booze is my last crutch I'm trying to throw away. I used tea as a replacement earlier in the year and I'm going back to drinking tea anytime I have a craving for anything now.
ANyone have any other tips on how to deal with cravings?
I struggle most when i'm alone and feel like nobody would ever know.. .except me..
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

T4C22,

looks like we have been living somewhat parallel lives. I'm about to make a pot of Irish Breakfast tea...!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A buddy showed me a picture of me last week when I was hammered. Did not recognise nor recollect any of it. Very scary. I had that hundred yard stare... I wish I hadnt seen it, it kinda wrecked my day but at the same time showed me that I have no business drinking and reconfirmes things. Not that I need any reminders. I hate alcohol.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had a huge response then the computer ate it.

Summary: You're ****** if you do this on your own. Don't ask how I know. I'm a binger too. I can go a week. I can go a month. But I always end up blacked out, broke, ashamed, etc.

GET YOUR ASS TO AN AA MEETING or into counseling. If you're on this board, you know you're in deep ****.

You need tools to beat this thing. Don't ask how I know. Recovery is HARD. Anyone who tells you different is a liar. But isn't being a blackout drunk kind of hard too? Get some help.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic. my best friend is a binge drinker. my husband is an alcoholic that requires drinking in order to get through his day. we are all at varying stages of the progression. I am naturally a very calm person. but I notice when it comes to alcohol I have an extreme amount of anxiety.. even when I think I can remember things, I still feel the anxiety. self doubt... questioning... I'm always wondering what I did wrong.