Notices

Here to get my life back

Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Bad Habits

Here's one of my "bad habits":

The thought of picking up a drink pops into my head (which I know it will in early sobriety especially).

Here's the fork in the road for me: "obey" the thought, go into autopilot, head to the liquor store,

OR

Stop, slow down, notice the thought and take THAT fork in the road i.e. call someone, reach out, pray, go to a meeting etc. It is just a thought.

At this point I am AWARE that I have a choice, but the new habit is not yet set, so I find myself drunk yet again. Am I responsible? Definitely.

I am responsible for being more aware of my thoughts and feelings, and I am responsible for my actions.

I am responsible for maintaining my spiritual condition.

I am hoping that the longer I make the healthy choice it will replace the unhealthy one. I am also hoping that my sobriety becomes so valuable to me that I don't want to jeopardize it.

Past experience has shown I'm not there yet. I am not yet able to see beyond the immediate. I have had some time in the program before and know the obsession/compulsion to drink lessens, but I need to be mindful that I am not there now. This means I need to do the new action over and over until it becomes a new habit.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm sitting in MacDonald s car park typing this.

I just had a talk with 'My Love' and words such as 'waste of space' and 'dirty drunk' and other combinations of phrases where used. She doesn't understand why I did the things that I did.

Tbh, I just want to go buy a big bottle of whiskey, drink the lot and drive into a tree. I want it over with.

So I am here trying to remove those thoughts and show her I can be a stable, functioning member of society. I've begged her to research and read this site and find out exactly what it means to be an alcoholic.

But she says she won't help me in this and do anything for me. I'm not asking for that. I'm asking that she does it for her self.

She said she is angry with herself for thinking I was her life. That I could be who she needed me to be.

I can be all those things. And I have been. Otherwise we wouldn't of got back together in the first place.

Really low right now

Rich

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Richard,
I just read your post. Believe me - I have been exactly where you are, and I got through it. Not to say it wasn't excruciatingly difficult - it was. I think only another alcoholic can truly understand the pain of seeing the unintentional consequences of our actions. The only thing I know is that in the past when I have picked up it has only made things worse. Your love is angry. She needs to get it out. There are no guarantees in life, but for me when I have white-knuckled it through days like this it does get better, even though it doesn't seem like it at the time. Hang in there buddy.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Richard

Trying to get someone else to research what it's like to be an alcoholic is kinda like you and I researching what it was like to be 19th century French peasant maidens.

We can find a lot of information, but information's not understanding.

The good news is you don't need other peoples understanding to do this - there's an amazing amount of support you can tap into right here and other places from people who've been there.

You just need to do this for you - in time (comparatively little time really) those who love you will see the changes in you without you even opening your mouth.

D
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Rich, sorry for late response to your message- just come across it, i had my ex and her mother verbally abusing me after they came home drunk when i stayed at my exes looking after the kids on day 2 last night. Ive come to the conclusion that my relationship with her is and has been harming me staying sober, its hard cause ive got kids with her and cant just cut her out of my life, and ive always thought ive 'needed her' to get me through the comedown.

I tried in vain to 'explain' this disease, (in my opinion my exes mum is in denial), but realise that its down to me to fix this and i need to be in a basic single life for a while to feel better in the long term. Thats the situation with me, hope you get through this and find your own way, keep posting mate its early days for us both.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't sleep much at all last night. Tossing and turning and falling in and out of sleep. My love rang me at 5 in the morning and had another go at me. Calling me all manner of things.

I managed to get to work today and soldier on through, how I am managing this, I really don't know.

I called HER this evening, she answered and I asked if she still wanted to meet and talk, she hung up. A few more calls with no answer later, the landlord answered HER phone and just took the ****. Called me pathetic and that I am being dramatic. And then 'you know how you thought we all had a problem with you, well we did, you are a complete bum, you don't do anything, you drank and did **** all, just got up for work and that's it. No one likes you, you are a complete loser and I hope you do jump off a bridge or kill yourself in some other way'.

Something along those lines. And all the while, my love sat by and listened. And even laughed at the landlords comments.

Normal people really don't know what's its like. And they mock us and consider us horrible people.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hibbsy - That really makes me angry on your behalf. I don't need to know the whole story to know their hostility is uncalled for - especially when you're trying to make amends and get well. You don't need that when you're trying so hard, and it could sabotage your plan to get sober. I don't think I'd be contacting her again until I felt stronger and more determined.

As Dee said, you don't need their understanding to do this. Or their approval or forgiveness. The 'normies' can never truly get what we go through. My own family still thinks alcoholism is a character flaw despite my attempts to educate them. I hope you'll concentrate on healing. Be kind to yourself as you make this big change in your life - you don't need to be beaten down by others.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hibbsy23 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't sleep much at all last night. Tossing and turning and falling in and out of sleep. My love rang me at 5 in the morning and had another go at me. Calling me all manner of things.

I managed to get to work today and soldier on through, how I am managing this, I really don't know.

I called HER this evening, she answered and I asked if she still wanted to meet and talk, she hung up. A few more calls with no answer later, the landlord answered HER phone and just took the ****. Called me pathetic and that I am being dramatic. And then 'you know how you thought we all had a problem with you, well we did, you are a complete bum, you don't do anything, you drank and did **** all, just got up for work and that's it. No one likes you, you are a complete loser and I hope you do jump off a bridge or kill yourself in some other way'.

Something along those lines. And all the while, my love sat by and listened. And even laughed at the landlords comments.

Normal people really don't know what's its like. And they mock us and consider us horrible people.

Hi Richard, the tone of this message indicates that she is still very angry, and probably rightfully so. However, the remark from her landlord was way out of line. Normal people do not involve themselves in another person's personal life and spew that type of venom. Regardless of what has happened between you and your gal, you did not deserve that.

My suggestion is for you to focus on yourself right now, totally and completely. Check out AA meetings for f2f support, continue reading on this site, and continue gaining strength in your sobriety. I know you miss her and want to change for her, but she has heard this all before. The change you want so much must be for yourself, for then you will radiate an aura of self-confidence that others will be able to see. The change will be obvious. So for now, focus on today. Whatever tomorrow brings will be dealt with then. Sending you a cyber hug!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Rich,
Good to see you back! Hang in there, buddy - you-re worth it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Rich,

I'm sorry to hear that her landlord berated you in that manner. Obviously, he/she has no idea what this disease is actually like.

I might be wrong, but if your ex is involving people like this in the issues between the two of you, she is probably feeding off of the extra attention and being the "victim." She may just be the type that likes drama. I have experience with this as well.

If I were you, I would block her phone number and email address or she will likely continue to bait you as she has been. At the very least, let her know that if she wants to support you in your recovery you are open to that. Anything else is not welcome, and would be detrimental to your sobriety.

Great job staying sober! Try not to engage her. Keep us posted.

-CN
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Hibbsy,
just wondering how you're doing. Speaking from "having been there" I know how hard it can be at this stage - I don't have any real words of wisdom other than hang in there - it does get better. Your love is angry, and she needs to get through that on her own - there's NOTHING you can say or do that will change that - the only thing you can change is you, and at this point that means not picking up. You can do it!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hibbsy - if other people are being roped in, I think you're best out of it for now.

The last thing any of us needs in early recovery is extra drama.

Focus on yourself, get well, get strong, stay sober - then you can sort out the stuff like this then

D
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

I have had to take a step back. I went round last night to try and get a few bit from the house. I needed my shaving stuff cos I we looking scruffy.

Anyway, I wasn't being aggressive or in anyway threatening. I was merely looking through my stuff in the shed finding a few bits while I arrange a friend to come with an extra car, cos it won't all fit in mine. So anyway, walking back across the garden, I see my cat in the window of our bedroom, so I go over to have a look at her and just tell her I miss her and she meowed and it was nice. So the landlord comes out with his shotgun and proceeds to shout and ask me why I am being such a dick, he then hit me with it so that I was knocked back on to my car.

Now, I'm a big guy, I am trained in all manor of violent and physical sports and believe me when I say it, it took a lot of my will power not to tear the guy apart. Cos I would of. With great ease. My own rage reared its nasty head and snarled. I basically told the guy that if he touched me again I would rip his head off. He then abruptly stopped coming towards me and 'politely' asked me to leave. Which I did as I had got what I went for.

Anyway, I spoke to the police about this matter, and openly admitted that this guy is lucky to still be alive today and I have arranged a day where I can go and collect my stuff and let that be that.

As for the repercussions of this event, I drove straight to tesco to buy a nice big bottle of booze and get off my head. I stood in the isle, stood and stared at the whiskey, and decided it a better idea that I didn't buy any or drink a single drop, as my drink always turned out worse when I started out when I was in a bad mood. I would of gone back round and most probably killed him.

So I am proud of myself for handling those situations a lot better than what I would of done before the beginning of my sobriety.

Day 5 complete

Other than that, generally in a fairly good mood.

Cheers

Rich

Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't drink.

Sounds like it might be good to have a mate there when you go around to get the rest of your stuff - just to keep things orderly, y'know?

D
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rich - You handled it great. It's such a relief when we finally know that drinking isn't a way to cope. I'm sorry you had to deal with that person's hostility - but proud of you for not caving.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you didn't drink.

Sounds like it might be good to have a mate there when you go around to get the rest of your stuff - just to keep things orderly, y'know?

D
My mothers husband is coming with me with his car so we can get it all in one go. Not this Saturday coming but the next, the 8th I believe

Rich

Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Rich - You handled it great. It's such a relief when we finally know that drinking isn't a way to cope. I'm sorry you had to deal with that person's hostility - but proud of you for not caving.
Yeah, I am proud that I kept my cool. Cos if I had had a drink then....well the result would of been very different. I think the landlady would of found herself as a widow the following morning.

I was seething with rage. I ended up driving out to the middle of nowhere and just screamed, roared and shouted a few times....model of self control eh? Lol

Rich

Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Made it through day 7. A full week completely dry.

Had a few mishaps today though and I almost fell off. It was pay day today....I didn't get any money. The idiots in the payroll office messed up my account number. By one digit. So it didnt go into my account. So now I have to wait till next week or even next month. But thankful my mother has loaned me 200quid.

Before that, I was a mess. Worried about how I am going to get to work. Pay my bills and just generally felt **** about everything. I was ready to just give up.

But thankfully in was saved by my dear mother.

She never usually does anything like this. But I think she was worried that I would fall off the band wagon and drink tonight. And I thinking she didn't help I would of probably done it. I just felt like, yet again, nothing goes right and there is something bigger than me intentionally messing with me to make my life that little bit more miserable than it already seems to be.

Other than that I am in high spirits. Spoke to 'My Love' a little too. She don't say much, but she also doesn't answer my question of 'do you love me' which to me says she does but she doesn't want to admit it. Spoke to a few other of my female friends on this matter and they agree that that is pretty much how women work. Pains in the arse.

Anyway, rant over.

Yay me for completing a week with no drink.

Here's to a better tomorrow

Rich

Xx

Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rich - You've sounded a bit better each time you've posted. I hope it's helped to relieve some of the pent up anxiety and anger you've been holding inside. You are actually sounding positive and hopeful. Congratulations on those hard earned 7 days of sobriety. Knew you could.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you gotten to an AA meeting yet?