SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Why I'm Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/285294-why-im-here.html)

greenjeans 02-23-2013 08:52 AM

Why I'm Here

Hello! I've been trying to find an outlet for my recovery-related experiences. Things happen on a daily basis that are important to me but can only be appreciated by others going through the same process. I've been through group and that was was a big help. I find AA meetings to be a downer. I've tried other sites but haven't made any connections. Warning! - what I need to share will be boring! Anybody out there willing to listen?

Nonsensical 02-23-2013 08:56 AM

Bring it.

Impurrfect 02-23-2013 09:00 AM

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Jeni26 02-23-2013 09:18 AM

There's a whole bunch of people here willing to listen....x

Coldfusion 02-23-2013 09:18 AM

Welcome to SR!

This is THE PLACE for (usually) intelligent discussion of sobriety.

greenjeans 02-23-2013 10:29 AM

Ok, here goes. Rented the movie "Flight" last weekend. All I knew was that it was about an airline pilot that crashed and that it starred Denzel Washington. Turns out, of course, that he is a raging over the top alcoholic. Two hours of cringing in my seat. This is an extreme example but we are exposed to this all the time. Even on family TV shows (The Middle, Downton Abbey). This stuff really bothers me. I had an intense alcohol dream the next night. Does it get better?

Ptcapote 02-23-2013 10:48 AM

Yeah, "Flight" got to me too. I sat there cringing for the first hour and then shut it off because I realized it was making me want to have a drink badly!

For me, reading books about alcoholic experiences (Drinking: A Love Story; Dry; etc.) helps because even though I cringe, I can put the book down when it becomes too much.

TV and movies, tho? No, can't do it yet. Too much stimuli too early in my recovery. Rather read and identify here or in a book because I can be selective and stop it when I want but that's just me. Some people find help in watching/relating to just how bad it was/can get.

Thanks for the post!

Coldfusion 02-23-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by greenjeans (Post 3832214)
Does it get better?

Better than Denzel Washington? Better than a happy ending?

There are some happy stories here at SR, but we are not professional actors. Our stories can be boring, too. Did you want to be in the movie, or sit in the audience? I found it was necessary to do something to become sober--it was not a passive thing.

YouRmySunshine 02-23-2013 12:37 PM

I think it gets better, but I am only 40 days sober - & Im told its gets much better as the sober days, turn into sober months, sober years...

I would encourage you to try different AA meetings. I find different things I like in BB, or step /tradition, or open & even the womens meetings. If you don't like one meeting give another a try!
~Peace

Hevyn 02-23-2013 12:44 PM

greenjeans - you are NOT boring. Glad to have you aboard.

I promise, it gets better and easier. I have 5 yrs., though (after drinking all my life). In the early days I would've been extremely upset by 'Flight'. As it was, I got very teary during it - and even yelled 'noooo' at him a few times. :) Our emotions are all over the place as we adjust to our new lives without our anesthesia. You are doing great by coming here and reaching out.

applecake 02-23-2013 12:51 PM

I remember going to see Flight in the theater and having a similar experience. I think what you are describing gets better, though. I have just over six weeks under my belt, and as I have regained my composure and my competence (and my own cringe-worthy behavior is further and further behind me) I am finding more confidence to re-engage in the world. I can place phone calls now. I can look people in the eye. And I can feel sincere compassion for others who are struggling. Do I still have a lot of work left to do? Yep. Do I finally think that work might actually be do-able? Sure do!

I'm glad you are here greenjeans. Keep coming back, and keep posting!

Dee74 02-23-2013 02:37 PM

Welcome greenjeans :)

When I first quit I noticed drinking...a lot. TV, movies, books, magazines - even walking around...

nowadays it rarely rates a second glance - often it doesn't even get a first glance.

stick with it - it can and does get better :)

D