Notices

Getting Unstuck

Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Unstuck

Well the AA Big Book does tell about a Solution but I wanted to talk about getting unstuck in the beginning to get to the solution .

The first step for me was to admit I was an alkie and I needed help .

To admit I was whipped. I just couldn't do it anymore, that my life was unmanageable . Are you whipped? If you can say that, that is a good start .

In AA we say powerless.

I went into a detox for 7 days. They were really kind there and they really do make you comfortable .

But that may not be your path . Just be careful . I didn't want to be jonesin . I have had a seizure due to withdrawals.

I discovered that there are other people who share similar difficulties, past and present .

After that meetings, meetings, meetings. In time, my head cleared and I began to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of recovery. I began to gain hope .

I was scared at first because I didn't know anyone.But I got through it .

I learned I was far from being alone and I looked around the room and pictured everyone in there stumbling down drunk. Then I knew I was home .

I am not alone anymore .

These people in the program have something I want. They were smiling and laughing and comfortable around each other , and it peaked my interest even more .
There is nothing you have done that would surprise anyone in AA, believe me I was a LOW bottom drunk.

My new friends in the fellowship help me. Our common effort is recovery .

It makes all the difference to have friends who care if I hurt. People who have been there.

I need people that understand my illness and the recovery process. At meetings I can share with other alkies, ask questions and learn about my illness. I am learning new ways to live. I am no longer limited by my old ideas .

Gradually, I am beginning to replace old habits with new ways of living. I am willing to change. I go to meetings daily,call my sponsor, read literature, pray and of course don't pick up .

I can not do this alone, never could , never will be able to. Maybe it seems like you are never going to pull through and that you are just stuck .

Just swallow your pride and go to a meeting, I think SR is wonderful but nothing like a warm hug from someone who has been there and tells you it's gonna be ok.

We do this together. One alkie talking to another. It's how AA began.

It really does get better, just keep coming back . Talk about your feelings. It helps. God Bless!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Well the AA Big Book does tell about a Solution but I wanted to talk about getting unstuck in the beginning to get to the solution .

The first step for me was to admit I was an alkie and I needed help .

Remember there are open meetings, you can always go there with a friend. Yah i know I didn't have any friends left either. it's ok. You are gonna make a whole new set of friends. real friends. Walk thru your fear and just do it!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks, Deeker.

I spent a week in detox also, and always recommend it to anyone trying to quit. People will say they don't have time, but then say something like they missed days of work with a hangover.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

coldfusion

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Thanks, Deeker.

I spent a week in detox also, and always recommend it to anyone trying to quit. People will say they don't have time, but then say something like they missed days of work with a hangover.
Yah cold, I am in touch with a girl who says she has social anxiety but works 70 hrs a week and won't go to a meeting. I remember being in the grips. Scary stuff.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Thanks Deeker ,
Having never been to AA thats the kind of post that makes me feel the good in it and see why it would be good to go to .
I've never been one who responds well to being preached at but hearing how it's changed and benifited you and others on here on a personal basis is great .

Bestwishes , M
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aa

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Thanks Deeker ,
Having never been to AA thats the kind of post that makes me feel the good in it and see why it would be good to go to .
Bestwishes , M
Yah AA/NA both saved my life and it was good to get involved in service early I was in a lot of self pity early on, it helped raise my self esteem. Ya know makin coffee, setting up. Felt like i had purpose again, plus commiting to coffee or a home group kept me accountable .