Notices

Lack of motivation

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lack of motivation

Hello everyone, I've been reading posts from this site for the last three weeks and they have helped me realize that I'm an alcoholic (something I've known for a long time) and I am now 15 days sober. When I was drinking I used to workout on average six days a week anywhere from one to two hours. Working out was a big part of my life and was tied into my confidence. For the last 15 days I've not had energy or motivation to work out and its starting to drag me down emotionally. I had read in someones post that they use vitamin b to help keep their energy up. Does anyone know of any other cures for my problem.

Thanks for listening
el_p
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi elp,

I know nothing about 'cures' for lack of motivation or energy....but can indeed relate to that condition! You'll find it's oddly comforting to know that heaps of people here can too. You might want to also check out a very witty and lively thread started by MTN recently ' I need structure', I think it's called. You'll be in great company!

Best of luck, you'll probably get your mojo back (indeed, someone else has a thread on that topic too, mojo!)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome elp

I think fatigue and a lack of motivation are pretty normal - think about it - if you're like me you drank for years and put your body (& mind) through the wringer.

It's going to take a little longer than a couple of weeks to recuperate.

I believe in letting that process happen naturally - the only thing I took was a multivitamin. I started to feel more energised after a month or so.

If you do decide to take supplements consider running the idea past your Dr - not all supplements are suitable for everyone.

D
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I know there are no quick fixes just hard work, but it doesnt stop me from looking for them.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Elp,

B vitamins are a good idea--take a complex one, and don't overdo any one vitamin.

Good nutrition, and lots of sleep...

Do you drink coffee?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

I second (or third) the B vitamins. I saw an alcohol counselor a couple of years ago (before I was really ready to quit) and she told me that alcohol breaks down vitamin B1 (thiamine) and many people who drink too much are deficient.

I took a B1 supplement for a long time, and the difference it made to my mood was remarkable.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course everyone's given you great advice, but I would only add lack of sunshine??? Where I live I'm without sun currently and I feel your lack of motivation in a big way. I try to force myself out the door to walk my dogs and then sometimes that perks me up. I think it is just the fresh air.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Energy was an issue for me too. Workouts were becoming scarce; sleep was becoming a lifestyle. It doesn't last though. Your body is trying to learn how to use low octane fuel.

I stopped all the supplements after about two weeks sober. It felt like they were a burden to my system. I started them again about 6 months out. My theory was that I was undergoing a drastic physical change and I had to find a new "normal" baseline before I could start the supps again. Protein was a bit sketchy at first; protein bars were easier to deal with than shakes. Back to normal now (10 months out).

Summary: Give it time. Great things are happening.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That makes total sense. I always found that alcohol was like fuel for me. A viscious cycle.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

elp - As the others have said, what you're feeling is completely normal in the early days. I was exhausted for about a month or so. We've beaten our bodies up pretty badly & need time to heal.

Congratulations on your 15 days - that is wonderful!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It might take a while for your body and mind to adjust to sobriety. A lot of people find emotional issues come up to be dealt with, or they have some difficulty managing life without the crutch of alcohol and that in itself can be exhausting. Is it maybe possible that exercise has become a bit of a compulsion/addiction as well? Maybe you could just scale down your workouts for a few weeks while your body works on healing itself. Alcohol is really tough on the body, the brain, the liver, the heart etc. You will undoubtedly get back to the level of workout you had before, but it might be time for just a little rest now.