Notices

Finally rid of alcohol glassware, mugs & signs

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally rid of alcohol glassware, mugs & signs

Here I am 7+ months sober and feeling like things are going well....however it was recently brought to my attention that I still had plenty of alcohol-themed stuff in my apartment. I guess I hadn't even thought to face it, but I finally took care of it.

I gave away all the wine glasses and martini glasses to a neighbor. And just today I sold my one old craft beer sign that was hanging on my living room (!!!???) wall for the past 5 years too. Anything and everything that involves drinking is now gone from my home.

The scary part is - all that stuff has been staring me in the face for the past few months and I never seemed to notice it. It's unnerving to think about how heavy my ties are to alcohol. Glad to get the stuff out of here finally (and made a cool $15 bucks on the sign too!)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A good way to be a non-drinker is to do what non-drinkers do. Well done.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I was just getting lunch and there was a guy with a Skyy Vodka logo jacket on. Things like that catch my eye now. All I could think was 'hmmm I bet I won't see him in AA'.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by veryready View Post
I was just getting lunch and there was a guy with a Skyy Vodka logo jacket on. Things like that catch my eye now. All I could think was 'hmmm I bet I won't see him in AA'.
For me it's personally important to remember that while I cannot drink, there are a lot of people ( the majority actually ) that are not alcoholics. So while I cannot drink responsibly, a lot of people can. Because of that, I think we have to realize that no matter how much we try to remove references from alcohol from our lives, they will always be around. So I have to learn to deal with seeing it, save locking myself in my house and keeping the TV turned off, which is not an option!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blessed Man

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Here I am 7+ months sober and feeling like things are going well....however it was recently brought to my attention that I still had plenty of alcohol-themed stuff in my apartment. I guess I hadn't even thought to face it, but I finally took care of it.

I gave away all the wine glasses and martini glasses to a neighbor. And just today I sold my one old craft beer sign that was hanging on my living room (!!!???) wall for the past 5 years too. Anything and everything that involves drinking is now gone from my home.

The scary part is - all that stuff has been staring me in the face for the past few months and I never seemed to notice it. It's unnerving to think about how heavy my ties are to alcohol. Glad to get the stuff out of here finally (and made a cool $15 bucks on the sign too!)
That's an awesome, important step to a recovering individual. You know this topic just came up with my sponsor and I yesterday. I sponsor a man who is 39 years old and he has about 16 months sober. I went in his house the other day for the first time he finally got comfortable enough for me to come in. When I went in I was floor by the decor he had alcohol lights and mirrors, with rolling paper signs and mirrors as well. On the opposite wall were all of his certificates from treatment. I was amiss as to what to do or say. My sponsor who has been sober about 6years longer than I 23 years of continual sobriety. Suggested that I suggest he do as you have, because the decor of his "man cave" type house could with out a doubt be a trigger. I hope he does as you have great job. Keep it up, 7 months is awesome....Rick
Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
For me it's personally important to remember that while I cannot drink, there are a lot of people ( the majority actually ) that are not alcoholics. So while I cannot drink responsibly, a lot of people can. Because of that, I think we have to realize that no matter how much we try to remove references from alcohol from our lives, they will always be around. So I have to learn to deal with seeing it, save locking myself in my house and keeping the TV turned off, which is not an option!
I agree, in fact I was taking pictures downtown today, and got some great shots of a hotel lobby bar, the city reflection in the window. I am not running away from all references, but rather just getting rid of those references that happen to be in my house!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did the same some 6 + months in. It was very freeing in a way. Hanging on to wine glasses that will never get used is odd behaviour really and it was nice to make my home truly alcohol free x
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RickHillJr View Post
That's an awesome, important step to a recovering individual. You know this topic just came up with my sponsor and I yesterday. I sponsor a man who is 39 years old and he has about 16 months sober. I went in his house the other day for the first time he finally got comfortable enough for me to come in. When I went in I was floor by the decor he had alcohol lights and mirrors, with rolling paper signs and mirrors as well. On the opposite wall were all of his certificates from treatment. I was amiss as to what to do or say. My sponsor who has been sober about 6years longer than I 23 years of continual sobriety. Suggested that I suggest he do as you have, because the decor of his "man cave" type house could with out a doubt be a trigger. I hope he does as you have great job. Keep it up, 7 months is awesome....Rick
Thanks, very interesting. I suppose it will not be a huge factor in my not drinking, but any edge I can get I'll take it. If I sold my kitchen table, I bet I'd stop eating at home as often - not because the kitchen table makes me eat at home, but because there would not be as comfortable a setting. Thanks for sharing that info about your sponsee, I am glad to see I am not the only one who sees this and had trouble with it.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blessed Man

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Thanks, very interesting. I suppose it will not be a huge factor in my not drinking, but any edge I can get I'll take it. If I sold my kitchen table, I bet I'd stop eating at home as often - not because the kitchen table makes me eat at home, but because there would not be as comfortable a setting. Thanks for sharing that info about your sponsee, I am glad to see I am not the only one who sees this and had trouble with it.
That's great it's all about helping one another I was just blessed with finding this rum I love it....Rick
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had all that stuff, too. Beautiful wine & champagne glasses - and one set of tumblers that had 'Name Your Poison' on them. A set of 6, & each one had a different poison on it - Cyanide, etc. Cute.