Notices

It's Friday I am a little worried

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Friday I am a little worried

I am a little worried. I haven't drank since last Friday. Now here it is again! What is it about feeling like I deserve it?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear you Preciouskitty - if its any help I am absolutely craving a glass of cold wine.... Weekends are really hard hang in there, I'm hoping in the morning we'll be glad we didn't go down that road.....
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on a week!!!!

What you deserve is to not lose that week of sobriety by believing the lies your addiction tells you. Find a way to reward yourself without alcohol...Splurge on a decadent treat. Something. But not drinking.

Believe me, you will feel terrible if you drink. That's the reality.

Stay strong.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

What you deserve is something different
You can get through it PK - stay close to SR and The February gang

D
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi PK,

While I feel much too new to this to dole out advice, I can share a bit about my recovery. I'm on my 9th day, and right now my feelings on Friday are that I don't deserve the misery that will come tomorrow if I relapse tonight. I hope that the memory of those terrible "mornings after" don't go away soon. They are motivating. I'm proud of where I am, and don't want to start over again.

You can do it! We can do it together!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Friday is no different from any other day.

Imagine the freedom of being awake and happy on a Saturday morning.

Everyday is pretty much the same for me, so I take Friday out of the equation sometimes and think like any other night... well it's Wednesday, I'm sure going to feel good Thursday morning....

I also understand the reward/deserve system. I've done really well, been productive, got 6 days! That surely needs rewarding with a drink.

I know how you feel exactly and don't feel qualified at giving advice after giving up myself last week. The nonsensical posts, the feeling tired and irritable the next day, the sense of failure...

Wake up tomorrow feeling good yeah? Not like a piece of shame filled rubbish. Come join the weekend thread, post me a recipe
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You deserve neither a drink nor a relapse, Kitty, Friday is just a day of the week. You do, however, deserve recovery, so keep at it, and best of luck to you---rick
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every weekend down makes it easier... ha ha... like I know since I have only been sober 9 days! I am working 7 straight days so that makes it easier on me. When I work, I stay out of trouble. Keep yourself busy, hit the library and get some books, go to a sober event (play, movie, sporting event, the gym, etc.), go out for a good meal, cook yourself a great meal. I am actually finding out that their are a lot of good things to do other than get drunk.
Keep busy my friend.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The first couple weekends were the hardest for me, too...... I spent a LOT of time here and it really helped keep me grounded. I think it's just the image in our head that weekends are a reward and the only reward we've known is drinking. We have to find other ways to reward/enjoy ourselves and it takes a little time to figure that out.

One thing I did for the first few weeks was to allow myself to order out from my favorite restaurants - it gave me something to look forward to at the end of the day. Think about something special you can do for yourself this weekend and try not to worry or think too much (that's where our addiction starts getting to us!).
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi

I just want to say I'm not an alcoholic but was around one for many many years she would stay sober for a while then one day she would say , well I've been good I deserve this and start and not stop and I was thinking wait you think you deserve to be hung over , to feel like crap , to black out , to say things you don't remember the list goes on , I say find a better way to treating yourself , you don't deserve addiction no one does .....
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drink and the whole Process begins again..Obsession > Hangovers> remorse and regret.

Grind it out, you wont have to go through the early days again.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Friday is a different day for me because there are two AA meetings here, on at noon and the regular meeting at 5:30. They do it that way because Friday is a different day for a lot of people.

If you don't go to meetings, there will probably be plenty of folks hanging out here at SR to keep you occupied.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear PreciousKitty,

actually what you deserve is a huge HUGE pat on the back for a whole 7 days !

Come on you can do it.

Valx
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Drink and the whole Process begins again..Obsession > Hangovers> remorse and regret.

Grind it out, you wont have to go through the early days again.

Exactly. This is kinda what is keepin me going. I know I will just be in the same place if I drink at all. I think of sat. morning as the reward... I know when I wake up I will feel awesome and be stoked with myself that I know what happened last night, I got a good night's sleep, I can actually enjoy saturday...
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ricmcc View Post
You deserve neither a drink nor a relapse, Kitty, Friday is just a day of the week. You do, however, deserve recovery, so keep at it, and best of luck to you---rick
What he said.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Much to soon for me as I am on day 6 as well, but knowing that I kind of felt like crap all week has made my decision clear to Not Drink. Im going to feel awesome, have more cash in my pocket, and be more productive tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My Good Friends,
I read everyone of you replys. Thank you so very much. A lot of advice. A lot of the advice is similar to things I have heard before, however your responses seem to have a magical twist on them.

For the first time I feel like I actually took in and thought a little deeper on advice someone has given me. Before it was in one ear and out the other.

Does that make sense?

I have decided to go to a painting class tonight BY MYSELF WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY, then maybe hit an aa meeting.

It's so nice to know that i can always check in if I start getting antsie.

Thanks again Everyone

Kitty
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 5 and i think a big key for me is to make a plan. Know what you plan on doing after work. Last night i was really tempted but laid out a plan before hand to go home and clean my place a little, go to my favorite bbq and catch a movie. It's hard to stick to it but you can do it!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

P-Kitty, If you can take it and guarantee a positive outcome like waking up tomorrow happy and glad you took then go ahead...However if the more likely reason is a potential hangover remorse and guilt then it is not a good idea. Dont let those 7 days become 1 again.
A suggestion they gave to me when I first came in was always have plenty of chocolate on hand... It sounds rather easy but it helps with the cravings believe you me stuffing my face with chocolate I guarantee waking up without ALL that remorse
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hate the way Friday evenings make me feel as far as wanting to drink but I REALLY appreciate waking up without all of the negative consequences on Saturday morning!