Notices

Replacement.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Replacement.

Hey guys...

So, I've just realized that I replaced booze with food. Instead of drinking my feelings away, I'm comfort eating. :[

Any tips to change this?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think this is a common one - eating more, especially since you figure you don't have booze calories to worry about. My advice would be to go easy on yourself for the first week or two. Then maybe start kicking up your health & fitness goals a notch - it goes hand in hand with sobriety for me. Exercising is a great substitute for me from going out & drinking. Runners high is great and guilt free

Other than that, try drinking seltzer or a healthy fizzy drink instead of food.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I am doing the same thing Melvin. I was hoping my weight would drop, but it is holding constant because I am eating more. I snack in between meals, and I have developed a voracious sweet tooth - which is new to me. I've never been a sweets guy before.

I plan to had some exercise starting Monday. Bicycling and light weights/calisthenics. Start controlling my eating better, too. Gotta stop placating my alcohol cravings with food.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
Hey guys...

So, I've just realized that I replaced booze with food. Instead of drinking my feelings away, I'm comfort eating. :[

Any tips to change this?

Thanks.
Yep doing exact same but stuff it for now we do have to go easy on ourselves !!!!! One step at a time I reckon
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This seems to be common. I am not a sweet eater but have had cravings for sweets since I stopped the booze. Experts say we are trying to replace the sugar in the alcohol.

I have made an effort to not eat sweets but have been eating frozen seedless grapes and cutie oranges like crazy. I am overweight to begin with and can't afford to gain any more.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It could be a good idea to get involved in some kind of exercise program or sport? I found that exercise helped my self-esteem, too.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did that too(replaced booze w food) but in the first 2 months I just couldn't be concerned with it as I was still struggling with the obsession and had one focus which was NOT TO DRINK. A few weeks ago though I food shopped and only keep healthy stuff in the house. And my license is suspended so I can't drive out for late night McDonalds lol But oh I do miss it sometimes! Anyway...I have a lot of healthy snacks like cucumbers in fat free italian dressing, low cal crackers with almond butter (a teensy bit of sugar on top if I have a real sweet craving). I have surprisingly gotten used to this and crave junk food less.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too (or seven or eight, according to all the posts)! I was also concerned by my sudden desire to eat anything not nailed down, in particular sweets which I also never craved.

But I visited my doctor today and she told me basically what others have said here. Essentially, allow your body to learn to eat again and enjoy non-alcoholic calories for a week or two and then adjust your diet to be more healthy and start exercising.

I am at the end of week one (day 8) so I figure I have one more week of semi-permanent residence at the chocolate-covered pretzel bin in the bulk-foods aisle at the store before having to take up the carrots and celery again.

Enjoy it while you can!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice guys! this helps a lot.