Notices

Day 3

Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

So, yesterday actually went pretty well. I didn't stop for anything to drink on the way home (which is my normal pattern). Fell asleep fine but woke up about 10 times during the night. Also a tad bit shaky this morning but went and worked out and felt better.

Today is a bit of an issue. My wife is going to be at a function from 5:00 to 11:00 today and I'll be home with the kids. This is where I would normally sneak a bottle into the house and be totally lit up by the time she gets home. I totally don't want to do that, but I already find myself mentally slipping a bit. Ever so often I'm not paying attention and I think "cool, i'll stop on the way home, better leave work a little early." I know from reading that this is just my AV, but its a little scary how you do it without even noticing....

I'll post later and I plan on being strong.

thanks for the support.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tryingthistime View Post
...I already find myself mentally slipping a bit. Ever so often I'm not paying attention and I think "cool, i'll stop on the way home, better leave work a little early."
Every time that happens, remind yourself, "I've quit drinking. Sorry Mr. Addiction. Get used to it."

You may find yourself doing it a lot. The AV is relentless in early recovery.

Start planning how you are going to keep the kids entertained. Something other than TV. It will keep you busy as well.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you don't drink tonight and you know that you can be at home with your kids while your wife attends a function, the next time the same issue rolls around you will know that you can handle it. The "first times" are challenging but much easier once gone through. It's kind of like getting a few weekends under your belt. Plus it's just not cool to get lit in front of your kids. They pick up our bad habits. I know this because I'm a counselor in a high school. I've also had to make some amends to my own kid. Do something fun with your kids...create those good memories!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Probably not the most mentally challenging thing I can do, but I ran out at lunch and bought some interactive game for the XBox kinect. Looks like all four of us can play tonight. I think I'm going to set up a small tournament and have us all make home made pizza together.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope all went well tonight. Great to hear you had a plan other than to drink with your kids around. Keep up the great work!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Probably not the most mentally challenging thing I can do, but I ran out at lunch and bought some interactive game for the XBox kinect. Looks like all four of us can play tonight. I think I'm going to set up a small tournament and have us all make home made pizza together.
That sounds like a really nice evening with the family!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

went really well. Lots of fun and actually tired myself out so that I could sleep. On to day four without a drink. Felt pretty good this morning and my face seems to be a little less red...

no just have to deal with the weekend...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey trying ,
Nice to meet someone else who used to drink but dosn't anymore . My life is a lot better without it .

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

now just have to deal with the weekend...
Just like you "planned" for last night, you plan for the weekend. What you are going to do, what you aren't going to do (drink), how you are going to deal with the urges and the addictive voice telling you one drink will be okay.

You might go to the bookstore, or library, and look up some recovery books. Start reading up on alcoholism, addiction, and so forth (the AA Big Book is online). Start giving thought to finding a recovery program that will prepare you for an alcohol free life.

And of course, SR is always there.