Notices

Night sweats and crazy dreams

Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Night sweats and crazy dreams

I am on day five of being sober and feeling great. It is nice to wake up without a hangover and have energy at work. My only complaint is I wake up every night around 3-4am drenched in sweat. Is this normal and how long will this last. Anyone know what causes this?

Also, I am having some of the most vivid and crazy dreams you can imagine. They are not scary or bad, just crazy and disjointed. I rarely remembered dreams when I was passing out to sleep.. Again, is this a normal thing?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

from everything I have read and I have experienced, it is normal. for me they started dissipating around 5 days.

congrats on 5 days
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Booniecat.

I never fell asleep when I was drinking, I passed out so I don't remember dreaming for several years. When I quit drinking I actually was falling asleep and also started having dreams.

I had terrible night sweats when I was drinking and a few days after I stopped drinking.

Seeing a doctor for any concerns is highly recommended.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Sweatingyes congrats on day 5. I experienced night sweats, day sweats, noontime sweats...however, only when I was still drinking. I don't miss that at all!

From what I read its my body's way of ridding itself of the alcohol.

found a link to more info
About alcohol and sweating | SteadyHealth.com
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

both are very normal - hope they settle down for you soon booniecat

D
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just alcohol withdrawal. It'll pass if you stay sober, or it'll get a lot worse if you start drinking again.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Had both as well. Night sweats are the worst...hot but then freezing cold because of the wetness. The good news is that it passes...nine months out today and not a glimmer of sweat in sight. Can't remember exactly when it passed-maybe a week or so. Then comes the most blessed thing ever...sleep. I love it!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The sweats and vivid bad dreams goes away for me after the 3 day. The dreams are crazy and wish I can have them when I'm sober so I can be in a good set mine and maybe have really cool vivid dreams instead.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Booniecat,

I've had night sweats and nightmares, but also I've had what I would call "random" dreams. Neither positive nor negative. Just neutral.

When drinking a lot, I don't remember my dreams.

Is this a bad thing? Well, horrible nightmares are really horrible. Complete strangers trying to kill me for no reason that I can discern.

You're supposed to dream, but I guess I've suppressed it for so long that when it comes back, it comes back with a vengeance.

Sometimes it's neutral or positive, but other times I realize I'm in a nightmare and I don't know how to wake up. People are breaking glass over my head and stabbing me repeatedly, and I don't even know who they are or why they hate me so much.

No one hates me that much in real life.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's very normal booniecat, it passes and soon the sleep is amazing
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same things, Booniecat. Personally, I love how vivid my dreams have been lately. They're much more interesting than any movie! The only ones that bother me are the drinking dreams. They're so vivid it sometimes takes me a minute to realize it was just a dream and I didn't really drink the night before.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the comments and affirmation that this is all normal. Last night was the first time in a long time I did not wake up wet with sweat. Really nice feeling. Dreams are still vivid but not bad. I am thankful for the much better sleep I am getting.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Way normal, no worries.

Vivid dreams can really energise our physical bodies, raising temps, burning calories. I went thru all that for quite some time in my first month of detox.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get this as well. Just started about 6 months ago. It's one of the major reasons that I am looking at means to quit.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never experienced the sweats but boy the dreams are vivid. Part of it is that I'm also taking half doses of Chantix to help with the nicotine though. I thought that was what was causing the dreams to stand out so much. Good stuff to know.

Congrats on day 5 btw. It's great isn't it?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really kind of enjoy dreaming again. One last night was way crazy. I was on a cruise ship and someone gave me a trash bag full of pot. I was so worried someone would find it so I threw it over the side. Funny thing is I have not smoked in 34 years. Analyze that.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty normal to me. It will pass.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not experiencing sweats or vivid dreams (in these early days of sobriety). I too took champex for nicotine last year and had crazy vivid dreams. It was a few weeks after my father died and I was in such pain/grief. My dreams were all about him appearing to me etc (scarey stuff). They stopped when I stopped the champex.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I remember the sweats when I quit...AND the vivid dreams. I believe the sweats stopped within a week. When I have vivid dreams (which I still do at times) I like to think it's because I am getting some really deep and much needed rest