Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

driving 1000 miles tomorrow for a funeral...will that finally help me get me head on?

Notices

driving 1000 miles tomorrow for a funeral...will that finally help me get me head on?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

my Papa (dad's father) is passing away soon. everyone wants me to take a plane but a ticket on such short notice is so expensive. that, and i think a nice, long trip could be cathartic. could a long trip be what i need? i don't know. all i know is that i don't want to just jump into a family crisis after a stressful plane trip. i think a few hours of me on the road is what i need. sure, my family is going to be freaking while i'm driving tomorrow but shouldn't i be doing what's right for me? i need this. i think i really do need this right now. i'm so torn. i hate to make my family stress any more than they already are but if i don't have to fly, i don't want to. and flying will only make me want to drink and i think a nice, long drive is what the doctor ordered right now. i really, REALLY want to drive. frogdamnit i just want to drive and be treated like a frogdamn adult! perhaps me getting through this will just prove to my dear and loving family that i'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself? i'm mostly worried about packing the right pair of pants! they're worried about me what??? skidding off I-65?? oh, lawd! it's almost a straight shot from Milwaukee to Mobile! it's such an easy tip and i've done it before! why can't anyone trust me? i just. want. to. drive.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss.

I dunno tho. Do you think yr family has any real tangible reasons to worry?

Are you still bouncing off the wall a little?
are you clean and sober right now?

What does your husband think DG?

D
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I agree you should do what you want to do and if driving is an option, then go for it. Personally, I think 1,000 miles is a long drive, but, if you have lots of good music to keep you company, it should be manageable.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i am not sober right now. i will be when i head out tomorrow. (had a few glasses of wine) i wouldn't go out if i was tipsy at all. if anything, i would delay my leaving if i had a fuzzy head at all. mostly, i think i need the drive to get in my best frame of mind. i think if i take a plane, i'm going to be agitated. agitated and irritated and basically all kinds of pissed off. i like driving. it will get me there in the same time with less hassle and in a much better mind. i will be less tempted to drink and i just, i dunno, wanna drive. i poured out all of my wine earlier today when my mom gave me the news. i knew i had to either get on a plane or get on the road. last time i took a roadtrip down there, it was good. i hate to make my family worry but i have to remember what's also good for me, i suppose. i think a road trip is good for me. i guess that means i really need to finish up packing. i promise i won't leave with even the slightest bit of fuzz in my head tomorrow. i may not be the sharpest knife in the block but i swear i will be responsible. my life, everyone else's life is important. i won't even drive fuzzy.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

DG, if you're drinking now, I hope you don't drive tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DG, I'm very sorry to hear about your Papa. Maybe a plane trip is best now...you could always plan a little road trip in the summer?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((DG)) - I had 8 months clean/sober when I drove 16 hours to my uncle's funeral. Yes, I did need that time to think. I was blessed enough to have a friend I'd met here to call me, make sure I was awake, and to talk to when I was waiting in the procession line to the funeral home.

Me? I enjoy driving and spending time with just me, but then I've got a fair amount of time in recovery.

I am concerned that you've had some wine, but glad you poured out what you had left and I'm just gonna trust you that you won't drive "fuzzy". I do understand the concern of your loved ones.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You might change your mind about driving so far alone on a clear head.

I am sorry about your Papa. Can your husband go with you?

Ironically, I am driving to Mobile tomorrow. It is my home town.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now why would your family be worried about you skidding off the road? These concerns don't just magically appear out of the blue...

And you keep saying you THINK this road trip is just what you need. But what if it turns out not to be? Then what?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thinking of you DG and am praying you make the right choices, both today and in the longer term.

Please look after yourself xxx
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss DG. 1000 miles is a long way although could be therapeutic-I love driving so totally understand. My concerns for you are that such a long drive isn't advisable if you have been drinking the previous days. Maybe that's why your family is concerned