Notices

Day 86

Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EFC

Day 86

This is my third attempt at quitting drinking since 2010. I'm pretty good at remembering dates, so the other day I sat down and figured out how long each lasted. By coincidence, it turns out that each of my first two attempts ended on day 85.

Today is day 86 for me. As much as I wish I had simply been successful the first time, I can at least say that the lessons I learned from those first two attempts have helped me greatly. All of the standard excuses I used ("I'll just drink this one time"... "I'll only drink on THIS vacation"... "I've shown I can get it under control, so now I'll just drink on the weekends" etc.) were proven false as both times I eventually ended up right back where I began. Those failures are now constant reminders to me that the only option is permanant abstinence.

Reading SR on a regular basis has been a big part of this as well, so I wanted to say thank you to the forum as I continue to move forward in these uncharted waters!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 86! What a wonderful accomplishment.

Thank you for posting your experience. I am on my day 7. This is the day that time and time again I have used the same standard excuses that you have. It's so good to know that I am not alone.

You are doing a great job, and I wish you only the very best!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well done!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey EFC we're a few days apart! I'm finding this website helpful as well this round of sobriety. I've also been reading a ton of books branching beyond basic recovery. Rational Recovery has also been useful. I'm also trying to readjust my thinking about drinking and thinking of myself as a non-drinker and realizing there are a lot of people out there who just don't drink for reasons other then being an alcoholic. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress EFC

D
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EFC

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
Hey EFC we're a few days apart! I'm finding this website helpful as well this round of sobriety. I've also been reading a ton of books branching beyond basic recovery. Rational Recovery has also been useful. I'm also trying to readjust my thinking about drinking and thinking of myself as a non-drinker and realizing there are a lot of people out there who just don't drink for reasons other then being an alcoholic. Keep up the good work!
I have read some of the Rational Recovery materials as well. I think you are spot on when talking about readjusting your thinking on drinking. That is absolutely vital, even though it can be difficult.