SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Question about AA meetings... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/284934-question-about-aa-meetings.html)

ForMyGirls 02-20-2013 06:53 AM

Question about AA meetings...

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but here it goes anyways... If a meeting is labled as "closed", does that mean they only want the "regular" meeting attendees there? I'm assuming it allows for anyone who feels/knows that they are an alkie (me), just non-alkie "visitors". Is that the case? Will be my first meeting attended ever.... Thanks.

bbthumper 02-20-2013 06:56 AM

It is a meeting for anyone who feels they are alcoholic or are wondering if they may be.

Not a stupid question by the way :)

Hanna 02-20-2013 07:00 AM

All that is required is the desire to stop drinking.

If you are not sure, maybe attend an open one.

No one is going to quiz you though.

Open meetings anyone can attend, including friends and family.

Del 02-20-2013 07:13 AM

Open meetings for friends family etc to attend with you(the alcoholic)
Closed meeting are just for the alcoholic,no one else :)

whiskeyman 02-20-2013 07:18 AM

you will enjoy it.
just walk thru those doors and you will be surprise how at home you feel.

i was nervous about going but when i "remember when", i am so grateful i did

ForMyGirls 02-20-2013 07:25 AM

Thanks all. I definitely have the desire to quit. Been trying on my own the past few months with only limited success...

Things came to a head this past weekend... What kind of a-hole decides to go on a bender during his Kids' 3 day soccer tournament? I didn't get in trouble or do anything stupid (aside from watch the games drunk), but my wife is at her wits end... Big argument when she confronted me about it when we got home... I could lose everything that means anything... :(

Thanks again for the info.

bbthumper 02-20-2013 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ForMyGirls (Post 3827139)
What kind of a-hole decides to go on a bender during his Kids' 3 day soccer tournament?

An alcoholic. The good thing is there is something you can do about it. You dont have to pull a-hole moves like that anymore. Get to that meeting. You'll be glad you did.

Best wishes to ya!

Coldfusion 02-20-2013 07:57 AM

I could lose everything that means anything... :(

Unfortunately, that is what brought most of us into the meetings, including me and my wife 100 days ago.

Also, Al-Anon Family Groups offers help for your wife in dealing with (to use your words) a-holes.

whiskeyman 02-20-2013 08:49 AM

I didn't get in trouble or do anything stupid (aside from watch the games drunk), but my wife is at her wits end... Big argument when she confronted me about it when we got home... I could lose everything that means anything... :(

oh boy, this was me. i didnt think iwas getting into trouble, but many night left the kids downstairs to fend for themsleves while i passed out on the couch. to wake int he morning with the fornt door wide open and not knowing if the kids were even in their beds.

anytime you say that sentence, I didn't get in trouble or do anything stupid
say the word YET after it, it helped me at the beginning

after a year and a half I can say I am finally glad to put my feet on the floor each morning and go about my day.

ForMyGirls 02-20-2013 10:26 AM

Well, I did it. Might be attending another one tonight... :)

Hanna 02-20-2013 10:28 AM

Yay Jack!
Glad it was good enough to make you want to return!

whiskeyman 02-20-2013 12:16 PM

and the more you go the better you will feel.
i find it funny that when i seem to be off abit and my day isnt going well, my phone rings and its someone on the other end that just wants to chat and say hi.

Dee74 02-20-2013 01:45 PM

Just for anyone who may read this in future and is curious

Your First AA Meeting<

D

Ptcapote 02-20-2013 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Dee74;3827772]Just for anyone who may read this in future and is curious

Thanks, Dee! Very helpful and took some of the fear out of it!

veryready 02-20-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ForMyGirls (Post 3827452)
Well, I did it. Might be attending another one tonight... :)

That is excellent. Good for you. Takes guts.

The last meeting I was at, there was an old dude. There was only a minute left to share and there were a lot of newbies. This guy didn't really share, but he said, look, its hard work being drunk all the time, and it's for nothing. It's hard to be sober, but it's worth it. It's worth it! Stick with it. It's worth it!

It wasn't a huge speech, but coming from this guy it meant a lot to me. Stick with it. It's worth it. Being drunk is worth nothing!

Dave42001 02-20-2013 03:24 PM

Glad you went to the meeting!! Great stuff! I go every day and it makes me feel so good!! I'm very blessed to be in the program with an amazing fellowship!!

Keep up the great work!! Kudos to you!!