Notices

I need some structure...

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
jkb

Oh Mtn-
I'm sorry but this thread had me laughing sooo hard. :rotfxko... Anyway, I understand what your saying. It is difficult for me to go home at night.. strange as that sounds. I was used to my routine of drink and recover. I am trying to change my routine to go home, make dinner, accomplish maybe a load or two of laundry, etc... However, I can see where you might find that hard with all the drug dealers and all (sorry, that was just sarcasm). I think it is a really good topic. Jess
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You guys have me rolling!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yes let's get back to watering plants, phone calls and making a 3-D bacon structure. Hee
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hey, MTN, no worries! Follow thru on YOUR responsibilities and you'll be good to go as you may please thereafter. Onward with your success!!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you. Every decision I made to drink alcohol after I realized it was a problem for me was bad, no doubt. But I have made many good decisions in the other areas of my life. Currently I am having excellent self-control, even with respect to alcohol.

I am, however, questioning why I am participating in a thread started by a known heroin junkie and drug cartel queenpin. At least she has agreed to give up procrastination.

Tomorrow.
:rotfxko

I disagree, too but for another reason. I'm here because of my family experiences with addiction. But I have those same discipline problems and alot of love and understanding for addicts and alcoholics. If something feels too good, most people have issues pulling away from it, I think. It's just that what feels good to an alcholic or drug addict is different and more destructive than what might give another person the same feeling. Also, what we get exposed to and how we learn to cope. I never took a hard drug - thank you Nancy Reagan. Not true for male members of my family. We probably have similar issues but had very different experiences. Do I cope with difficulties by burying myself in a book or spending too much time on the internet? Absolutely. Is it interfering with my life to the degree I need help? Not today. It would if it were alcohol, though and it's something I have to be careful about. All just my opinion. I haven't been through the alcoholic experience so not going to say I understand everything, but I do want to humbly say I think I can relate to how any of us can get there.

And I'm not sure why I find the drug cartel thing so funny given that it hits pretty close to home for some of us, but it's making me roar with laughter. And that feels good!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I am, however, questioning why I am participating in a thread started by a known heroin junkie and drug cartel queenpin. At least she has agreed to give up procrastination.
Because you KNOW I have the best bacon and come Saturday morning... I never procrastinate, in fact I don't even count the rashers. I just dish it out without a second thought. It's a tough world dealing the bacon... especially splitting 8 rashers between 3. It's a hard lesson learned for my kids. Mum said you gotta get your bacon fix while you can as no more til next weekend...

They are going to look at me so gone out on Saturday morning when I suggest building a bacon house!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Oh God, MTN, you are a HOOT luvvie! It's early a.m. here in Aus, and to find your thread is downright therapeutic. You've pretty much described ME.

My latest crowning procrastination glory was getting a library book on procrastination (there's quite a tidy little industry in such books - maybe you could consider adding your own, you know, when the drug dealing dries up?!). Needless to say, I procrastinated about getting it down from the shelves at home, desultorily read a coupla chapters, put it back up on the shelf, kept procrastinating about trying to read it again....then procrastinated about taking it back to the effing library.....you know the drill :-)

So, please, DO keep on wittering away here; and yeah, ignore the random non-ironists who pop up. They've perhaps never read Sartre's Nausea, or Becket's Waiting for Godot....

BTW you might enjoy a UK based website The Idler; Tom Wilkinson (the owner) also wrote two hilarious yet erudite little books 'How to be Idle' and 'How to be Free'. The non-ironists wouldn't get them, either :-)

Am agog to hear how the bacon sculpture holds up, luv!
Vic
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post

Hey, MTN, no worries! Follow thru on YOUR responsibilities and you'll be good to go as you may please thereafter. Onward with your success!!
Thank you Robby

Just the little things everyday will bring more peace of mind is where I'm headed.

And this isn't related to your post, but something that occurred to me once I did get dinner on... I get woken up by a 4 year old before my alarm goes off, I greet my teenage son good morning and have his cereal ready in a bowl only to watch him lose the plot because a hair is out of place.

I wave one off to school and take one to nursery. I say hello to the nursery workers then come home. That is the extent of my adult conversation/contact for much of the week! It's quite sad and not surprising that I come home and - sit.

Once I'd posted this thread, and had a couple of replies it was a boost to get of my backside and get on.

This forum is my adult conversation. I need to change that too. I really miss my job, I miss interacting with adults, I miss feeling like me.

That's not going to happen overnight though, so for starters I'll continue with lists...

*job application form - highly organised with excellent time management and interpersonal skills...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Oh God, MTN, you are a HOOT luvvie! It's early a.m. here in Aus, and to find your thread is downright therapeutic. You've pretty much described ME.

My latest crowning procrastination glory was getting a library book on procrastination (there's quite a tidy little industry in such books - maybe you could consider adding your own, you know, when the drug dealing dries up?!). Needless to say, I procrastinated about getting it down from the shelves at home, desultorily read a coupla chapters, put it back up on the shelf, kept procrastinating about trying to read it again....then procrastinated about taking it back to the effing library.....you know the drill :-)

So, please, DO keep on wittering away here; and yeah, ignore the random non-ironists who pop up. They've perhaps never read Sartre's Nausea, or Becket's Waiting for Godot....

BTW you might enjoy a UK based website The Idler; Tom Wilkinson (the owner) also wrote two hilarious yet erudite little books 'How to be Idle' and 'How to be Free'. The non-ironists wouldn't get them, either :-)

Am agog to hear how the bacon sculpture holds up, luv!
Vic
Haha!! You are a star Vic! Thank you for putting a grin on my face and I'll be sure to check the books out (when I get round to it )

Hope you are doing well lovely.

I'm thinking of adding some eggs to my bacon sculpture. I expect you can hardly contain yourself... It's going to be rubbish!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Relaxing and watching The Brit Awards with teenage son... I used to live for the BPI awards (anybody remember that?) I say relaxing, it's all good as long as I don't say who? What? This is the best? I've had to come out for a cigarette - I can only hold the 'in my day' in for so long
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

This is by far the funniest thing I've read on SR. Thanks to all who posted!! I'm sitting here laughing and not really explaining why.

I too share the procrastination and list-making. That seems to pale in comparison to discussing bacon and drug cartels so I won't go into it. I would suggest some sort of mixed media art rather than just pork products.

MTN - awesome!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Wink

Hey luvvie,

Goddess knows what time it is over there (my SR GMT + or - are constantly confusing), perhaps you've gone to bed.

Still, yes, the watching the Brit Awards are .... lovely. Just what they are. Especially if august souls like Helen Mirren etc are on. (I'm assuming you've meant the BAFTAs? Possibly I'm wrong).

Had to laugh to self with your 'who? what? this is the best?'. If I'm reading you correctly: yeah, it's just that sense that Life 'in my day' IS what it damn well IS. Drat it. We're not writing the great American / Australian / British novel. We're not somehow miraculously fulfilling our 5 Year Plan (very Stalinist, in my view) so often proposed by the Positivity / Productivity Police. We're not even being film stars, rock musos, poet laureates (btw, is Andrew Motion still the current Brit one?), scalers of the north face - or should it be the south face? - of Everest......etc etc.

What we ARE doing is, simply, being and doing whatever we can be, right now. Chookie, if that's 'just' watching the BAs with your teenage son, and ducking out for a ciggie....that's cool! I no longer have my (adult) kids in my daily life, or my anytime life for that matter, as they don't want anything to do with me. You have your teenager and your littlie - oh yes, I'm a mum, so remember each of those stages well. Maybe doing stuff for and with them Just Is your 'work', just for today?

PS the curry sounded gorgeous, and I agree, onions / garlic first fried up with the spices is totally the traditional and best way to go.

Keep on wittering, pet.
x
Vic
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

PS MTN and any other interested parties:

This short quote below just about sums about 'The Idler' website and books. Will Self and other fabulous writers have contributed to it over the years. Also, note my mistake: it's Tom Hodgkinson, not Wilkinson. From what I gather, he's (now?) about early 40s, and has kids.

Anyway, I found this stuff extremely comforting in the first couple of years after I was a. made redundant from my job and now, b. being 'sort of retired on a disability pension' (i.e. 'useless' in the world of productivity, which is as rife here in Aus as in all the other G20 nations).

"Literature for Loafers
The Idler magazine was founded in 1993 by Tom Hodgkinson and Gavin Pretor-Pinney in order to explore alternatives to the work ethic and promote freedom and the fine art of doing nothing. In that time it has passed through many incarnations, and inspired thousands of people to cast off the shackles of corporate or bureaucratic life, and find freedom. It now exists as an annual collection of essays, published in hardback book form. The current issue is themed around Utopia and includes contributions from Louis Theroux, Bill Drummond, Boff Whalley and Joe Dunthorne. "
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you, MyTimeNow. I'm feeling the exact same way. There's so much I could and should be doing but I'm just avoiding all of it.

That being said, I'm gonna go do some laundry and make burritos. I have nothing to wear that's clean and burritos are just awesome regardless.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Z010011010 View Post
Thank you, MyTimeNow. I'm feeling the exact same way. There's so much I could and should be doing but I'm just avoiding all of it.
Yep. Avoidance is a thorn for me too. Lack of motivation and fear of facing all the things I'm avoiding makes me feel so mentally/physically exhausted. It's overwhelming. Then I retreat and the cycle begins again. But? One bite at a time and chew it well.

I'm making little lists of realistic goals. Like some of you have said... putting things on my list that I can simply check off and feel accomplished is a goal. I met that goal today.

I can't... I just can't... think bigger than that right now. The ole mantra "One Day At A Time" is so true. So very.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Morning morning We've already had world war 3 here this morning, so I think that's enough for today! Lol I want to run away alone.

Need to phone the council this morning, and I was going to be making Thomas the Tank Engine cupcakes with DD but unless there is an improvement on the behaviour front...

Right - real life beckons...
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Morning MTN

Stay strong-mmmm cupcakes sound good.

I made a red velvet cake yesterday following reading about it on SR-think it's an American cake,yummy

Sorry,I digress try not to run away. Do your list and have a good day.x
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post

Right - real life bacons...
Fixed your post.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Morning MTN

Stay strong-mmmm cupcakes sound good.

I made a red velvet cake yesterday following reading about it on SR-think it's an American cake,yummy

Sorry,I digress try not to run away. Do your list and have a good day.x
Oh wow I've just googled red velvet cake - put's my packet mix Thomas ones to shame! Looks lovely, well done... I'm not to hot on the baking front.

I didn't run away either made my phone call, did the cakes and sorted out DD's bedroom - I built her a midsleeper bed with a tent under it not long ago - couldn't even get in the tent! Too much stuff hmmm...

Hope you're day has been a good one

Fixed your post.
LOL!!! Thank you! What was I thinking? Beckons? Tsk can't have that in a sarnie...
Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Your DD's bed sounds great

Glad you've got your stuff done. It feels better doesn't it

I'm in a great mood. I appealed my council tax band couple of months ago and they've downgraded me so chuffed! I get a rebate of the difference for the last 9 years from when I bought the house