Notices

Please, tell me that the pink cloud lasts forever

Old 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Please, tell me that the pink cloud lasts forever

And if not, what do you wish you had known or done in preparation for it going away?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never had a pink cloud - my happiness kicked in later - but the good news is I know someone who did

Originally Posted by CarolD
I've been keeping my pink cloud sailing high for over 22 years..

How? by finding others interested in living sober and well....both on here and in my local AA meetings, and by daily connection to God...
D
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never got that pink cloud

I have days when I feel like I'm high on hormones, but not consecutively!

Awww. The lovely CarolD. Rest in Peace my friend.

S x
Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

No it does not last forever but milk it as long as you can. I would suggest having your ducks in a row when the blissful ignorance goes away. Have a network of sober friends, have a higher power, have a home group, have a sponsor, have regular meetings, start working the steps, have a sober life outside of AA.

Eventually life will take a dump on you and you have to deal with life on life's terms but you can do it if you are working a strong program and are prepared.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

It comes and goes.....
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I had a pink cloud. I wasn't sure if it went away on it's own, or it was my returning to work ( I work in a school) at the end of the summer! At any rate, I did go through a period where I thought....gee...ok, I'm sober...now what? Now at 8 months, I realize my sobriety has continued to give me gifts at various times....I've just had to be ready for them. I've had to learn new ways to relax and spend time.....but I'm now enjoying reading books again Just yesterday I realized how drinking had diminished my enjoyment of gardening....and now that interest has been restored.

Keep sober. Keep working and learning.....and a lasting contentment will come....maybe not a pink cloud....but very satisfying.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I dunno about a pink cloud, I think this speaks to our expectations, Jazzfish. I quit drinking to face up to my own cr@p, to take responsibility for my addiction, and to take responsibility for my sobriety. The ignorance was when I was drinking, and there was nothing blissful about it.

If there was any pink cloud at all, it was the elation to learn that I could achieve sobriety after those miserable years of drinking. While I'm not bouncing off the ceiling, after 18 months I maintain a quiet pride and honor for this achievement that will indeed last forever.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I never got the cloud either, but Carol's advice was perfect.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love your post freshstart
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

All the posts are very thoughtful, and as Freshstart says, they speak to our expectations. Pick whichever type of cloud you want, and make it so!

I have found that, in general, "things" keep getting better. I did have a few "on top of the clouds" experiences very early in sobriety, and some bummers too. Now, the highs and lows have evened out--but I seem better equipped to handle the the threats to my life.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never had the pink cloud either, too much shame to deal with. I'm glad I didn't because my recovery was a very slow, gentle upswing. It was just right for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

It's not forever. Humans kinda need other things in their life.

Mine didn't fully leave, but not every day is a bed of rose petals.

12 steps saved my life and gave me a fabulous perspective, among other lovely things including gratitude and the ability to have a design for living life.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Freshstart
If there was any pink cloud at all, it was the elation to learn that I could achieve sobriety after those miserable years of drinking.
What Fresh speaks of here they call the "Abstinence Commitment Effect" or ACE in the RR lingo.

I've been mainly on the pinkish side for many years now.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So funny because I asked my sponser if I was on a pink cloud the other day! I just feel I have come so far in accepting my consequences from drinking and feel a good connection to my higher power. Yes, I have crappy days and negative emotions at times but I still have hope and that's what gets me through. I don't know if anyone could be on a pink cloud forever because this is life, we are human and things are imperfect. BUT, enjoy the good feelings as they come
Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

If you're on that pink cloud now...ride it like you stole it!