SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello...New Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/284826-hello-new-here.html)

iguy 02-19-2013 11:56 AM

Hello...New Here

I am going to try this again. I was totally sober for about 7 years..but for the last 7 years...not so much. I never really considered my self an Alcoholic. I am mostly a binge drinker. I can abstain for a week or two at a time, but then pretty much when I drink I get drunk, drive home etc. This behavior has gotten worse over the years. I ve spent so much money drowning my sorrows every weekend and wanting to party.

Dee74 02-19-2013 12:03 PM

Hi Iguy :)

No matter what you call it, if it's a problem you're right to do something about it.
It may take a little change in some areas of your life on your part, but you'll find a lot of support here :)

welcome to SR

D

ReadyAtLast 02-19-2013 12:06 PM

Welcome iguy,this site is a great source of support

FamilyMan2153 02-19-2013 12:06 PM

Hey Iguy,

Most of us do not have to be asked if we have a problem, we just know. Sounds like you have realized you may be in that same boat?? Take some time to post and read. Many good people on here.

Jimuk 02-19-2013 12:09 PM

Welcome iguy, you're in the right place my friend.

iguy 02-19-2013 12:10 PM

yes, I know something needs to be done. I know ultimately that my life will get worse with my current behaviors

hypochondriac 02-19-2013 12:25 PM

Welcome to SR Iguy :)

I'm impressed that you were sober for 7 years. What can you tell us about how you achieved that and what made you start drinking again? Glad you're here x

ScottFromWI 02-19-2013 12:26 PM

Glad you could join us IGuy - SR is a great place to get great support and ideas. Glad you've made the decision to make a change in your life as well. It won't be easy but it will be more than worth it.

On a sidenote, nice Avatar! Don't own any semi-hollow guitars myself but hope to someday!

YouRmySunshine 02-19-2013 12:29 PM

Great step in admitting you are powerless over alcohol. whether it be binge or daily, not being able to manage things in your life as a result of alcohol, is a hard thing to admit, & know you need help.

Good Start! God Bless! Heres to your new sober life!:a122:

iguy 02-19-2013 12:58 PM

The question was asked how did I maintain 7 years of sobriety. Mainly it was due being involved in a religion and they frowned upon drinking. I left the religion due to dwindling beliefs in the doctrine and ultimately became an atheist. I still consider myself a spriritual person, but I find it hard to hold onto any type of magical belief system.

Hevyn 02-19-2013 01:36 PM

Pleased to meet you, iguy. I'm glad you've reached out for help. SR helped lessen my anxiety greatly in the early days of quitting. I think you'll like being here with us. :)