Notices

Life without a babysitter..so 2 speak..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Life without a babysitter..so 2 speak..

Hi all

Well, as the title would elude to, this is in reference to those who initially got sober while under some sort of constant supervision..whether that be professional rehabilitation services, or at home. I know that I personally found it helpful that during my first sober weeks, my fiancee was home all the time and I found the constant company very strengthening against cravings and such..of course that couldn't last forever as we both had to return to the workforce, and it definitely became more mentally difficult to fight the cravings..not always having someone there..to basically ''keep'' me from it. However, I dealt with it, still am, but it is much harder.. and I am interested in your stories on this topic
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my only proper attempt at sobriety I didn't have any babysitter and that was good for me I think. I had times in the past when I had someone with me who I couldn't drink around and I always ended up resenting them, even though I thought I didn't really want to drink. I think being on my own strengthened the idea that I was doing it for myself x
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I went from a detox to a 21 day in treatment center where we were monitored and had strict schedules. After that, we were on our own. I had been asked to leave my house, so I didn't have anyone watching me. I too was a bit frightened of what would happen. I ended up going to a ton of meetings and meeting up with other guys, and even going back to the treatment center to sit in on group meetings. In other words, I started to be immersed in AA and the program to stop that worry. Having worked the program, the mental obsession lifted and I no longer needed to worry about being alone. It was weird when I was alone, and knowing in the past I would have reached for a bottle, but that slowly dissipated as I started new associations and a new way of living.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober in the same house I used to get drunk in...just me...no help but SR.
It wasn't easy but it is very possible.

I just really really wanted to get sober and stay that way

D
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't have any babysitter.

It was very hard but it proved to me that I could do it for myself. I was much stronger than I ever dreamed.