Notices

Why do I hate my job

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I hate my job

I am grateful for my job, but I just can't seem to get into it. I have projects I "could/should" work on but have no interest. It is not too high stress and my Director doesn't expect much of me. In some ways I feel lucky and some ways I don't.

I stare at my computer and just look around my office half the day. Eight hours five days a week is a long time time to do that. Other than a paycheck this seems so useless.

At one time I did enjoy my job but I haven't for years. I kind of have this same issue with everything in my life (low level of interest/desire).I though after I got sober it would be easier.

Thoughts......
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I got to the point where I didn't enjoy my job at all. I was off on stress leave and decided to quit. I can't believe I actually did it! It was a very high stressed job and I knew deep down I would use it as an excuse to drink again and decided that the job wasn't worth it.

I'm lucky though, I was able to move in with my daughter and her husband and I don't have any debt so it hasn't been too bad for me. I just want a simple life right now. I'm trying to find something part-time.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This might seem really silly, but someone forwarded this to me yesterday, it is a old "Training film" that used to be shown to High School pupils back in the 1940's and 1950's. It actually helped me see my job in a different light. It is worth 10 minutes of your time.

You and Your Work (1948) - YouTube

This film answers the age old question: “How can you do a job well if it isn’t interesting?” Frank takes his first job at a shoe store, but he doesn’t like the monotony and the annoying customers and can’t understand why his boss is mad that he often shows up late. When Frank gets fired, he asks his guidance counselor to find him a new job. The counselor wisely tells him that if he had problems at his previous place of employment, then he’ll have problems at his next one too, and then helps Frank to understand how you can find satisfaction in any line of work.

Takeaway: “Any job, pounding a plane or selling shoes, is as important as you make it. If you think it’s not important, whatever it is, you’ll soon become bored with it and do it poorly. To enjoy your work, you need to find something more than money. You need personal satisfaction, pride of accomplishment, a sense of importance to others, whether it’s a part-time job after school or a lifetime career.”
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear PreciousKitty,

don't worry - most people never feel fulfilled/stress free/happy in their job. As long as you do it as well as you can then believe me you are rather lucky in this difficult climate/world recession. There are a lot of unemployed people out there just waiting to get their hands on your job.

9 - 5 = job, which we do to the best of our ability.

5 - 9 = our time, which we all should make the most of!

Only other thing I can suggest is change jobs...

Valx
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I no longer like my job any more either. I show up every day anyway because in this economic climate, finding a better one with similar pay and benefits is doubtful
If a better opportunity should arise, I would thank my employer, quit, and move on to "greener pastures."
I have a feeling I will continue at my current job until i retire or pass : )
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Depression?

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
I am grateful for my job, but I just can't seem to get into it. I have projects I "could/should" work on but have no interest.. I kind of have this same issue with everything in my life (low level of interest/desire).I though after I got sober it would be easier.

Thoughts......
Hey Maybe you are suffering from depression, I know I was, i am bipolar and lost interest in everything. Maybe talk to your doctor.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Aspects of work life:
  • Compensation
  • Commute
  • Co-workers
  • Management
  • Physical Environment
  • Sense that you're contributing to the mission of the organization
  • Opportunities for career growth

I have the first 5 in spades - love it. 6 and 7, not so much.

#7 I only need from a personal perspective. I don't really need more money, but the thought of working another 20 years without a promotion is demotivating. In order to get promoted, I would likely have to relocate or greatly extend my commute.

#6 is trickier. I am unconvinced my organization knows what it wants my contribution to the mission to be. I am on the fence as to whether or not I am going to help them figure that out (even though I am reasonably sure that's why they hired me 11 months ago - to help them figure it out how my division can make a gfreater contribution).
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hate my job, not so much the actual job but more the pointless politics and being expected to jump through hoops to massage people's ego. Especially the ego of managers with no base skills that only got the job through brown nosing. It's certainly time for a change of job for me too.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Valll,

I do appreciate your honesty, and your right; nevertheless it is still hard for me. It's like my brain gets froze and I just sit here.

Last edited by PreciousKitty; 02-19-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: addressing to:
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

PreciousKitty, maybe it's time to move on and challenge yourself with something new, different and more exciting. Maybe that's what recovery will be for you.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Valll,

I do appreciate your honesty, and your right; nevertheless it is still hard for me. It's like my brain gets froze and I just sit here.
I've hit that wall in many jobs throughout my career. I've dealt with it 2 ways:

1. Get a different job. At this point it my life, though, that's not an option - and may not be for many. So the other option for me is:

2. Realize that no matter what job you have, there will be bad days. And there will be bad people, egos, politics, etc.. to deal with. There's a reason most jobs pay you money - because it's work!

I personally enjoy my job most of the time, but I also realize as I move through life that my job is what I do to provide me the resources I need for the more important part of my life - family, home, etc...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This must be some kind of theme today.

I love my work but feel a pull to do something different. I want to help people and make a difference in the world.

Mom just told me she put me on the prayer list at work under the category of employment. Kind of wild.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh Anna,
I have wondered that too. Because I have so many "issues" and obviously don't do a spectacular job where I am, and I feel braindead half the time, I have a huge fear of failure.

And if not that; your quote sums what I feel next.

At least (apparently) I am no where close to being alone on this one.

Thanks so much everyone.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hated my last job and when I got fired it was because I was so stressed out I got sick. Now I'm on unemployment. I have looked for other jobs and even unpaid internships. It's very tough in California right now. My only advice is to try and have a new job lined up before you quit your old one. I got lucky with the UI but when that runs out I will be more worried. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This just reminded me of something neat that a co-worker once told me.

She had a friend that would post a sign whenever she wanted something to change.
Just a post it note or whatever, in different spots. On the fridge, her desk at work, the dash of the car.

She posted 'I want a new job' on her desk. In full view of everyone, which apparently left her supervisor speechless. (Personally, I would never suggest being so bold. It appears ungrateful.) But in a matter of days she had 3 job offers.

I believe in asking the universe for what you want. Just like the Rolling Stones say "You just might find, you get what you need."
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Why not start keeping an eye on any available jobs? Update your resume, keep looking around & who knows what could happen! Go ahead and network with anyone you know. I have a feeling that networking is the way to actually get a position. I've filled out hundreds of on-line applications with no phone calls.

In December I lost my job of almost 16 years. They had dealt with me enough treating my alcoholism & finally had enough. At first I was sad. But then I realized that I had stopped enjoying my jobs a few years ago. It was extremely high stress and the company culture was depressing. I very rarely came into contact with anyone at work that actually liked being there.

Unless you are in excellent financial condition, I do not recommend quitting your job before finding a new one.

In the meantime, try focusing on the positives in your life. It doesn't have to be anything big - a beautiful sunrise/sunset, a warm breeze, the warmth and comfort of your bed. That's how I've been keeping out of the dumps lately.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

PreciousKitty, I've had days like you described. One thing I've done when i've had too, too many days like that in a row, is to start looking around for other things to do that might spark my interest. Yes, often that has required me to push the boundaries of my job, causing other people to comment behind my back about it, and management to give me rather vague looks, etc. So what? I figure any new thing I learn I can either use it in my current job or use it to get a new job; it's a win for me all around.

I guess what I'm suggesting is to not allow yourself to be boxed-in, if you can help it. Why waste your time on the computer when you could be learning something new?

Often, you really do have more control than you think you do.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Valll,

Sorry if I seem harsh Kitty but I strongly believe in the phrase: "put up or shut up" I have been there so many times zzzzzzzzzzzzz...and mostly opted to opt out :>) In other words: move on.

If you don't want to "put up" with your frozen state, then you can try to move on...

Wishing you all the very best.

Valx