Notices

Still here, still SOBER on day 36!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still here, still SOBER on day 36!

Hey SR gang,

Just checking in--I haven't had a chance to post over the weekend, it was a hectic 3 day weekend with the family.

I had my "Sober Valentines date" with my husband, which was...strangely surreal. We had dinner at a Thai restaurant, and my husband didn't even order a beer. He had a Thai iced tea, with me. I even told him it was perfectly alright for him to have a beer, and he turned it down. Awe, I know--pretty darn sweet of him.

The surreal part kicks in here--we had a bout an hour and 45 minutes to kill before our movie, and in the past, we would have either gone to a pub, or gotten a 6 pack and drank it in the van in parking lot ("Down by the River...") somewhere, yuckin' it up and talking about the state of the world. We didn't really know what to do with our time, so we went to Value Village to look at a piece of gym equipment, and then went somewhere for an ice cream. It was just...weird.

I'm hoping we'll get used to it. We are not in a major metropolitan area where their might be lot's of fun things to do that don't involve alcohol, so I guess we are going to have to get creative!?

In any case, this is the longest period of Sobriety I've had besides the time I was pregnant, so maybe that doesn't count. While it does appear to be getting easier, I do sometimes grieve for certain aspects of drinking--like the times I have in a parking lot just hangin' out like teenagers with my husband. Other than that, I don't seem to be getting knocked sideways be uncertainty like I was in the first 2 or 3 weeks. The uncertainty and anxiety have just turned into little burst of sadness instead.

Anyway, I hope everyone has had a great weekend, I've got to hit the gym!

Cheers SR community
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As an "old-timer" in recovery, young at
heart, for me, i was always delighted if
and when someone who had long term
sobriety acknowledged me in recovery.

It encouraged me to want what they had
and continue on my journey in recovery and
to be of service to others who where new
in recovery like I was.

It was a positive reassurance and reinforement
in my own recovery.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

nicely done - keep up the good work and keep the van away from the river :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
"If the van is a rockin', don't come a knockin'"
Sorry...I can be so juvenile sometimes LOL
I like to say I can't help it, but really I can, I just don't.

Everything sounds good G...happy faux Monday.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Gforce23 View Post
I'm hoping we'll get used to it. We are not in a major metropolitan area where their might be lot's of fun things to do that don't involve alcohol, so I guess we are going to have to get creative!?
Well, Value Village sounds pretty downtown to me.

What's wrong with sitting in the parking lot without beer? My wife and I do it when we have time between events. And you know what we stare at ? Vancouver Island! And we talk about how, somewhere on the horizon, is an exciting town with a Value Village!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
006.jpg (27.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

G -

Actually inspiring to hear. Hubby sounds like a keeper.

You two will find something to do with your sober time. People always do.

Hey - maybe you could serenade him with your guitar. Or... maybe collect a little extra change by playing on the corner while he passes the hat. LOL

Here's a little number by Long John Baldry with a little intro about Baldry playing on the street for spare change. Which he really did as a matter of fact. After the intro the song really kicks a$$ - the backup group is pretty much the Small Faces circa Rod Stewart.

Don't try to lay no Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock and Roll
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There, I changed my avatar. It's actually the same spot as the picture in my previous post, but with different lenses. It is from West Beach parking lot, looking towards Vancouver Island.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

AWESOME KEEP IT UP... It only gets better.. Congrats...

Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Coldfusion...that view is breathtaking...OMG beer schmeer with that to look at I could muse about the universe for hours...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy sober Birthday! Can you believe we made it 36 days. Hasn't been easy. And man I pray daily it will get easier!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good job! Keep on.....................
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HappyDestiny3 Thank you so much for posting that song/video.
Very cool!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey everybody!

Thanks guy's you are an awesome bunch. I just got here after a WICKED workout at the gym, and it was so nice to see all of these awesome posts! It just keeps getting better! I'm so glad to be coming to this site finally with some consistent good news, instead of "Well, I screwed up again..." Etc, etc.

Soberlicious, go ahead and be as juvenile as you want, whenever you want. Lord knows I am. Why take life so seriously all the time. I mean, I know we're all tryin' to change our lives around here, but sheesh, I for one need a break from all the heavy vibes, man!

Coldfusion, I know that spot on Orcas... it's been a while, but I know it. I used to live in Port Townsend, and I had a friend on Orcas for a while. I love the thought of you looking across the water to Vancouver Island, it's like you're looking out for me across the water, and I like the thought of that. P.S, I think there's a Value Village in Bellingham--pretty sure actually! You could move to Lummi Island and then you could pretty much hop a ferry to town whenever....

Clearlight, and HappyDestiny3, thanks for the tunes! Oh yeah Clearlight, the busking was a great suggestion. It might be a good non-pressure way for me to try performing, as people walking by really aren't paying that much attention usually. I'd really have to work on my repertoire of songs that I know all the way through--if I don't play something for a week or two, I start to forget it completely!

Anyway, you guy's ROCK and your support has been monumental and essential to getting this far, so THANKS XO

P.S, I was going to post a photo (off the computer) of my area here on Vancouver Island, but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so if anyone could tell me that would be super!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Great to hear G - new way of living...and it gets better all the time.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Gforce. 36 days is fantastic. Very proud of you!

I'm glad you realize there'll be a period of adjustment. I felt very odd the first couple of months. Finding a new way to enjoy ourselves is challenging early on - but we go through many phases as we heal. You've already gone from anxiety to a 'little burst of sadness' (I know just what you mean). The sadness will disappear, too. You'll stop feeling like an alien - you'll feel hope, joy, and excitement for the future. All in good time.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Gforce, I am just realizing how my obsession with SoberRecovery feeds on my schizo-affective disorder. For one thing, I am suffering from delusions.

That picture I posted is not Vancouver Island, but Lopez Island and the Olympic Mountains, looking towards Port Townsend. It is the view from my house (well, my view is blocked by trees but if you go just down the road...)

So, my avatar pic is Buck Bay in Olga. The tideland is a shellfish farm--we're looking at clams, not Gforce23. Sorry!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Gforce, I am just realizing how my obsession with SoberRecovery feeds on my schizo-affective disorder. For one thing, I am suffering from delusions.

That picture I posted is not Vancouver Island, but Lopez Island and the Olympic Mountains, looking towards Port Townsend. It is the view from my house (well, my view is blocked by trees but if you go just down the road...)

So, my avatar pic is Buck Bay in Olga. The tideland is a shellfish farm--we're looking at clams, not Gforce23. Sorry!
Oh well, I've probably been there too---anyway, I lived in Port Townsend for the better part of a decade, and I think some of my spirit still resides there. I really loved it there. I had a sailboat in P.T., I worked in the boat yard, and I had wonderful group of friends and community there-- so that works too! I'd move back, but the mountain biking sucks and I don't have a sail boat anymore...
Anyway, your not that far away from me so, it's the thought that counts!

Cheers