Notices

Counselling today

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Struggling why dee? I'm genuinely interested.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
~sb

keeping an alcoholic on valium and not sending one to rehab just doesn't make good honest sense.

rehab and making sure you are on non narcotic medication might make more sense.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I think from your posts it sounds like you are at home drinking and self medicating heavily.

I am sure that is not what the doctor would want or expect.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

MLC,
You said in another post, at first your husband was upset, but came around. Was he upset because he didn't agree with the time line for inpatient care your doctor suggested? I'm curious because your husband will play a big role in your recovery plans, please don't feel you need to answer if I'm being too nosey
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

The doctor knows everything now. Last year I was taking Valium, opiates, drinking from
The moment I woke up, swallowing whatever else I could. I gave up everything on New Year's Day. Spent 6 weeks totally sober. In that time I had numerous suicidal
Episodes which I won't go into detail about.

Those 6 were the first 6 weeks since I was 14 years old (I'm 34 now) where I haven't been abusing substances or sticking my fingers down my throat. Hard. Really hard. Ended up back on Valium at a therapeutic dose because it was the only thing that stopped the suiicidal stuff. Of course abused it until hubby took it. Had a four day alcohol binge last week and nearly ended up in hospital. Have not drunk since Sunday and for plan on it again. I'm going to stick to my Valium dose and anti depressants while I get intensive counselling and the gp is in regular contact with my hubby.

They will send me to medical detox down the track to went properly off Valium. Last time I nearly had a seizure.

Hubby is happy to help. He wants me well. And alive.

I cannot do long term rehab. I know people will say so whatever it takes but I cannot. I have 5 children. Hubby has to work otherwise we have no house/car/food. Nobody can look after 5 kids for us for a few months.

This is the best we have and we will make it work.

I'm sick of being sick.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, I disagree with the plan MLC.

It's heavily dependant on your husband for one thing, and while I appreciate you have several issues to be addressed, I think some inpatient treatment would have been a far better safer option for you and your kids, whatever the logostics.

but I'm not a Dr - and I'm not your Dr.

All I can go on is what you've typed here over 1324 posts.
I appreciate there's probably stuff I don't know.

I really do wish you the best - I hope the advice you're getting is good.

D
Old 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
MLC,
You said in another post, at first your husband was upset, but came around. Was he upset because he didn't agree with the time line for inpatient care your doctor suggested? I'm curious because your husband will play a big role in your recovery plans, please don't feel you need to answer if I'm being too nosey
I think he was mainly upset because I wasn't taken off the Valium nd I stupidly asked him to give me more. It's all good now, he's wonderful.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Oh, I disagree with the plan MLC.

It's heavily dependant on your husband for one thing, and while I appreciate you have several issues to be addressed, I think some inpatient treatment would have been a far better safer option.

but I'm not a Dr - and I'm not your Dr.

All I can go on is what you've typed here over 1324 posts.
I appreciate there's probably stuff I don't know.

I really do wish you the best - I hope the advice you're getting is good.

D
Dee, I just posted on the previous page which might answer some
Of this.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I'm going anstinent from alcohol and drugs and just taking therapeutic dose off Valium.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm having one of those days where I have 6 things going at once - it took me a while to type.

I did eventually read the other stuff tho - thanks

D
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I know. I wasn't specifically answering you f before you'd even asked lol. Just happened that my post addressed what you said.

Now I feel like everyone here thinks I'm doing the wrong thing . I know I couldn't set foot in NA even if I could get there.

Surely there is a time and place for a therapeutic dose of something that makes you not want to die very second of the day? I'm determined to stay away from all other substances and get to the bottom of why I've hurt myself for so long
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
Surely there is a time and place for a therapeutic dose of something that makes you not want to die very second of the day? I'm determined to stay away from all other substances and get to the bottom of why I've hurt myself for so long
MLC, I haven't kept track of this entire thread but I know some of the challenges you're facing...

I think you're doing the right thing. I used something similar, and was off it within a few weeks and haven't had a drink for almost three months. Just be mindful of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I understand the thinking behind your doctor prioritizing the risks to your health. It seems to me, he's trying to help you as best he can, since you've said you aren't going to do long term rehab. I'm glad to hear you'll be getting intensive therapy while on this therapeutic dose of valium and waiting to do inpatient. When does the counseling begin?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Thanks

Cold fusion.

Pond lady, I started counseling last week, was supposed to do another one yesterday but he couldn't get through due to floods, did have a big chat to gp though. Just waiting on atods to ring with appointments for me and for them to recommend a psych for the Ed. Having pastoral counselling tonight also.

Hubby is home to look after me today too. (He's a counselor funnily enough,). Works with other crazies all day..
Old 03-01-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

how's it going?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

It's going ok. Still only

Taking the Valium/. Feeling the drop in mg and lack of alcohol . Plus the ads are making me feel weird.