Notices

Kudzu Root Herbal Supplement...Interesting Results

Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kudzu Root Herbal Supplement...Interesting Results

I'm not new to this forum and although I rarely post I do follow everyone almost daily and take what I can form your posts.

I have had periods of sobriety but never abstained from alcohol any longer than 6 months.

Recently I have come across a herb called Kudzu Root, it "apparently" helps with addiction. I was rather sceptical to be honest but I did some research and thought I'd give it a go. It didn't cost that much either which was a bonus.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I'm having some amazing results. I have a few friends who are so impressed that they are trying it also. One of which used to be a member of SR, he is so impressed hes started a blog
Just thought I'd share this for those like myself who have struggled for years and not quite got there.

Pix
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks, Pixy

I hope you're not paying much for kudzu, because in the USA most people will pay you to take away kudzu.

There are any number of natural aids to ending addiction. I am skeptical of anything that is not free or very low cost.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No it's very well priced. I appreciate what you are saying but i'm looking at it from an natural alternative as a herb not as an annoying plant that grows in the garden.

The few studies I have read on it seem interesting.

I work in the natural health industry but hadn't come across this for addiction so just wondered if anyone has any experience with the herb in the capacity of addiction.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad it's working for you Pix

I always recommend people see their Dr before starting supplements tho - even the most natural of extracts can interact with other meds for example, or may otherwise not be suitable for everyone, for whatever reason

D.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

No need to delete the post, if I were trying to quit drinking I would probably, well call first to see if they have it and what the prices is, then maybe rush out and buy it.

(It doesn't grow here, thank goodness, anyone know what I can cure with blackberry?)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good to know..don't remember where but i did run across something about that recently.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

What benefits have you experienced?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm taking Kudzu at the moment as well and i've seen some very surprising results.

Its cut my drinking dramatically and more importantly its cut my compulsion to drink, currently I don't feel compelled to drink to excess constantly.

Its early days as i've only been taking it for 5 days but so far i'm very pleased with it.

Personally I think anything that helps someone cut back or stop drinking if they have a issue with alcohol is a good thing and should be embraced.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I find stuff like this very interesting. My opinion on using drugs to stop taking other substances is that it is extremely counter-productive. However I did a bit of research on Kudzu as a 'treatment' for alcohol addiction. Allegedly it has been around since 600AD and there are numerous studies that have questioned it's effectiveness. The ones I skimmed across quickly suggest that it's an effective method of alcohol cessation so it may work for some people.

It may be a natural supplement but it's still a drug. Personally, I don't see the point of taking this to stop drinking. If you want to stop then stop. Don't rely on some other chemical to help you quit. Go to your doctors, get medical help and quit.

Natom.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not to be argumentative but you contradict yourself in your post.

>>If you want to stop then stop. Don't rely on some other chemical to help you quit.

>>Go to your doctors, get medical help and quit.

If you can just quit why do you need a doctor or medical help?

What form would the medical help take? More chemicals?

As I say, i'm not trying to be argumentative...

The simple fact is, if something helps someone reduce the harm they are doing to themselves then its a positive.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Coldfusion, I wasn't going to delete the post, I didn't realise I couldn't add a blog as it had the product within it and that can be seen as advertising. The blog has been removed but relieved the post hasn't.

Sugarbear, it's the lack of obsession with drinking that seems to be the main benefit. To be honest when I first tried it I wanted to be one of those that stopped completely as some of the reviews suggest, but I have to say I'm drinking much much less than I ever have and can go days without it now.

I am not suggesting for a moment that anyone who has stopped should try taking the supplement in order to control their drinking. But for me the constant day ones, few weeks here and there were beginning to get me down.

Natom, I am deficient in B12 and take a supplement daily, as well as milk thistle and a multi vitamin to keep me healthy. The Kudzu is also a natural plant and is suppressing my addiction to drink therefore helping me to keep healthy. The doctor has nothing he can give me that isn't full of chemicals and nasty side effects. He said so himself and is awaiting my up date on the Kudzu.

Who knows it may just be a temporary benefit. Time will tell
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi pixy,,yes i swear by the results of kudzu,,i havr recommended it to lots of peeps here,,but some are sceptical,,and its a shame cos its worth a go!!
i did lots of research into it and the chinese have used it to help with cravings for al,for 6000 yrs!! i find it ironic that in the countries it grows freely and not used for such a great help /aid for many wiv al probs.
im a huge beleiver in herbal aids,,and if it helps one to combat the urges to drink,,then what the heck!!!
i got mine for £10 , a months supply,,wow certainly cheeper than buying 3 bots of vino everyday!!!
it worked for me,,and i still have some in my cupbaords for any time i feel i have a craving,(which is none at the mo),,but its a small crutch if needed.
glad its helping you,,im very pleased that you wrote this post,, ive been raving bout it for months now,,but i do alsways say,,"check with yr herbalist/gp for help ect ect ",,also,,as im not wanting to get into trouble,,but its a wonder supp,, imho xx
well done hunny,,keep it up,,
x lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cleo really good to get some feed back. The results really have baffled me but until you hear back from others you never know if it's all in your mind or not.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it is not something you cn find locally in the wallyworld stores here...and GNC is too expensive..$20.00 for 60. I did a search on my favorite drugstoredotcom and the standardized version is $8.14 (less my 15% discount) for 60 caps of veggie caps.

it interests me that it is supposed to help with compulsion??? perhaps with chocolate and sugar? I am 22 months sober, but i still go "sightseeing" in the aisles when i go shopping at costco.

i did find an article on webmd but there are not any large clinical trials...the abstain dosage is about 9 grams???? that is a lot of kudzu!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I got mine on line and no where near that price. I take 500mg x2 a day and that seems to work.

I suppose the best thing would be to speak to a Chinese Doc as the herb initially comes from there. We have Chinese Doctors here in the UK but they can be expensive.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I just want to comment on "scientific tests."

Controlled, double-blind studies of herbal remedies often do not work because people must be motivated and have faith the herb is effective. A scientific test would involve secretly giving people the herb and seeing if they spontaneously quit drinking--but here at SR, we all know it takes willpower and a leap of faith to quit.

(I once rode the train from New Orleans to Pennsylvania, and it seemed like the whole state of Georgia was covered with kudzu.)
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Its certainly working for me.

I find that my focus on alcohol has diminished massively, its as if someone turned off the spot light on booze.

Its early days but anything that helps is good as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hey if it works it works what do I care what keeps you sober? I was on Naltrexone years ago and it had a similar effect. I didn't crave for booze, I could drink one drink and not obsess about alcohol it was as though I had control over my drinking. Until I decided I wanted to booze it up and stopped taking the drugs.

MY OPINION ONLY
In my experience DONT stop taking the kudzu or ragweed or Naltrexone or ice cream (insert sobriety drug here_________) thinking you've kicked it because its a disease of the body mind and spirit. Once you've started curbing your alcohol intake that's when you can get the other parts of your plan a chance to work.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just chalked up another booze free day after taking Kudzu.

Whatever works for anyone is good as far as i'm concerned. Personally i'd tried just about everything and found nothing worked but this has been like someone has turned off the switch.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm looking at taking Naltrex, but now having looked a bit (very briefly) on Kudzu I'm thinking about doing this first....the Naltrex, because I can't commit to a pill every day....needs shots that I only have to make the decision once a month...and the shots are 300$ my share after insurance. The Kudzu looks like an interesting NEW way to try to get myself off the booze for longer than 6 months.

I agree with Dee...it is critically important that your Dr. know and OK what you take herbally. There can be interactions between drugs (not just this one but many others) and your primary care physisian needs to know exactly what you are taking to insure you aren't taking conflicting medications whether man made or herbal.

I'm calling my doctor this week to find out if he see's any problem with taking Kuczo with my current medications. I am curioius as to what form people use; There are buds from the plant, roots, pills...etc. I've just started looking at this, so any information is helpful.

I found it particularly interseting that there seems to be a belief that this can help with diabetics and alergies, and diareah (horror to mention LOL)

I'll let you know what I find out. As long as I make sure it won't hurt me (by talking to the dr) it's worth a try.

How do you take it? The cook in me wants to use the roots in dishes...do you just take a pill? What part of the plant is in the pill? How big are the pills and how often and what amounts do you take?

Thanks Pix

Nands