Notices

Tell me how much better your life is!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Before goin on with this, I have to note that my life is not better because I put down alcohol. I think it would actually be worse if that's all I did. It's better because I was forced to change, and that change came through what I learned in AA, plus diving completely into the 12 steps. And a whole lot has changed.

Before I picked up my first drink I didn't have much going for me. Worked as a messenger, played in a band w 2 other alcoholic/drug addicts, and actually wound up losing both. I became agoraphobic, and severely depressed, which rendered me useless and suicidal at 23 when I had my final drink. I had a ton of issues, fears and phobias, and no hope whatsoever.

A quick list of some of the things I've done since:
  • Got a college education
  • Became a teacher.
  • Moved out of my parent's house, something I never thought I'd do.
  • Got on a plane for the first time in my life (something I was phobic of).
  • Recovered from my panic attacks and agoraphobia (took a while).
  • Got involved in theater in college, acted in plays, directed a couple of shows and even wrote a one act play that got produced.
  • Quit smoking.
  • Got involved in a band with someone somewhat well known and got to do some pretty cool tours throughout Europe. What I dreamed of as a kid and teen.
  • Bought a coop.
  • Became a landlord.
  • Traveled to places I always wanted to. Hawaii, The Bahamas, Mexico, Peurto Rico, Canada, lots of places in the US, lots of places in Europe. Heading to Greece and Italy this summer.
  • Had several not so great relationships that I learned from, which wound me up married to the most awesome woman in the world.
  • Wrote lots of music, something I tried to but could never do in my active days.
  • Got lots of toys for myself - a home recording studio, lots of instruments, and other things I could have never afforded if drinking.
  • For at least the past 10 years I've paid all my bills on time.
  • For the last 18 years I've been late for work only once. I used to never be on time for anything.
  • I've gotten in the best shape of my life. I eat real healthfully and average 3 days a week at the gym.
  • I've made lots of sober friends.
  • Learned what it means to have peace of mind.
  • Learned that I can get though the tough spots life hands us. And get through them without alcohol or drugs.
  • I learned to think differently.
  • I feel differently.
And I could probably run through 100s of other things I feel I've been gifted since I put down the drink, and picked up as many tools as was being offered to me when I did.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lots and lots of things:

Paid off my credit cards.
Got a new and better job.
Improved several relationships with girl friends.
Improved relationship with boyfriend. Much better now.
Earned respect of friends, several have told me.
Lost 20 lbs.
Saved up $$$$$.
Cleared up skin.
Lost beer belly bloat.
Read more books.
Volunteer more often and follow through with commitments.
Dx with ADHD and being treated. It's making a huge difference.
Attend my first Mardi GRAS sober! I was the DD.
Bought a bunch of nice makeup and brushes. Learned how to use them.
Bought new adult wardrobe.
Redecorated living room.
Improved my relationship with my mom. She's sober too!

Really, it's not the sober part I like. It's me sober I like! I truly love and respect myself now.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can be the person I always wanted to be.

I have developed the most fantastic relationship with my kids since I stopped putting my need for alcohol ahead of them. We laugh together, they ask my advice about things, I look out for them and support them in what they do. We spend quality time together now. I no longer waste valuable time hungover or resenting their intrusion on my drinking hours. I'm the Mum now that they deserve and should always have had.

My relationship with my H, who quit at the same time as me, has changed beyond all recognition. We talk, we listen, we plan things together, we look out for each other. We are no longer just drinking buddies. We are a couple.

My career has taken off, I've got promotion. I'm well thought of and respected.

My mental health has improved. After years of suffering with depression, I've been able to come off my meds. Although I still have spells of anxiety, I can work through them.

I am happy, and I'm making those around me happy.

It is a life I never thought possible, and I'm still on my way up x