Notices

Setback on the job front and musings

Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Setback on the job front and musings

My career was going well for a while. I was a sales manager at a global company, our North American headquarters was located here in Chicago and I oversaw almost 3 million per year in sales. I was with the company for 10 years and had risen through the ranks and was compensated well for my efforts. Over a year ago, I quit because I simply could no longer function in a corporate environment due to my alcoholism. I kept using, and finally ended up in treatment after nearly killing myself due to unsupervised withdrawls and the seizures that came with them.

When I first quit my job, I was still drinking. And I got a lot of job offers. Competitors of my old firm were clamoring for me to join them, calling me and almost begging me to bring my talents their way. I went in to meet with a few of them. I flubbed some interviews badly, most likely because I was drunk and/or anxiously going through withdrawls during all of them. The jig was up early last summer when I showed up absolutely wasted for an interview with NASDAQ. The hiring manager said "hey man, are you okay?"....I was clearly at rock bottom. After that, my recruiters distanced themselves from me and the phone stopped ringing. Treatment followed, and I stopped thinking about work entirely to focus on my health.

Fast forward to now at 7 months sober.

I can't even get a call back from anyone, let alone an interview. This past Friday I got word from a potential employer that I did not make the cut after a phone interview I did last week. They did not say why, but said that I did not fit the role. The role I applied for was a sales job, not even management, just a lower-level job to help me get back in the industry. Apparently I don't even make the grade on jobs that were once below my experience level.

Oddly, I am not disappointed - I'm actually kinda relieved. I can't picture myself sitting down at a desk and cold-calling PR firms from a cubicle, while I wear a tucked in dress shirt and slacks. But...I need SOMETHING. Anything.

I have thought about applying for stuff like handling baggage at the airport, something that would require an able body and mind but not bring up old demons. Then again, I wonder how happy I'd be doing that? The counter-argument to my personal happiness though, can be easily demonstrated by pointing to my bank account. I'm getting unemployment now but it won't last forever and it doesn't pay well, LOL.

I will say my artistic side is coming out since I've been sober. Photography and writing are coming back to me. I was once a sports reporter and photographer and have been published so I have some skills there. But nothing recent, all of that was 10+ years ago. So now I'm stuck just sitting here, musing on what to do. I am starting to think about taking a real chance on my own, building my travel photography website here in my spare time and working on some personal projects with the hope of catching on somewhere.

But I don't know what to do. "following my dreams" feels like a tough and difficult road that will be fought by me alone. "going back to the usual" seems to also be impossible, as my skills apparently aren't relevant in the industry any longer. And I'm not sure if I want to go back to that anyway.

Sorry all, just rambling. My mind is just as conflicted and jumbled as this post. I go through periods of high-motivation and focus followed by self-doubt, and in the end nothing seems to get done. I need to DO SOMETHING...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You might think of just getting a job period. Something to bring in some money and keep you busy.
Seems to me the sales jobs - not a managerial job - would be the easiest to get.
Photography is a hyper-competitive way to make a living.
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
You might think of just getting a job period. Something to bring in some money and keep you busy.
Seems to me the sales jobs - not a managerial job - would be the easiest to get.
Photography is a hyper-competitive way to make a living.
Good luck!
Yes, the sales jobs are out there. And the last one I applied for I got turned down, which has lead me to post this. And yes photography is super competitive, kinda like wanting to become an actor or a film-maker - if we could all just make money by taking pictures we'd all do it. I totally understand that. A "job, period" is what I'm leaning towards, but I think sales might make me depressed and feel like I'm starting from square one. Thanks for reading and the reply, I truly appreciate your insight.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Bigsombrero!

I recognized a lot of my own questions in your post. Do I continue with X, even though I do it because it pays the bills... or do I take a really scary leap into a field I love, but don't have any experience in... I still struggle with this question, while continuing to work in a field I don't necessarily love, but it pays the bills.

7 months sober! Congratulations!!!
That must have taken a lot of courage and hard work!

How do you think you'd react if ever a new career didn't pan out as you thought it might? Would it put your sobriety in jeopardy?

Perhaps a new start, in a field that you love and enjoy, might just be a great source of motivation too! Perhaps this period with unemployment is a window for you to see if you can set up something for yourself, in a field you enjoy.

When you love what you do, you don't "work" a day in your life!

Best of luck!

PS: I've found that almost everyone- as good as they might be at what they do, have periods of self-doubt. That's not necessarily a bad thing! Keeps us on our toes, prevents us from sitting on our laurels!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopscotch View Post
Hello Bigsombrero!

I recognized a lot of my own questions in your post. Do I continue with X, even though I do it because it pays the bills... or do I take a really scary leap into a field I love, but don't have any experience in... I still struggle with this question, while continuing to work in a field I don't necessarily love, but it pays the bills.

7 months sober! Congratulations!!!
That must have taken a lot of courage and hard work!

How do you think you'd react if ever a new career didn't pan out as you thought it might? Would it put your sobriety in jeopardy?

Perhaps a new start, in a field that you love and enjoy, might just be a great source of motivation too! Perhaps this period with unemployment is a window for you to see if you can set up something for yourself, in a field you enjoy.

When you love what you do, you don't "work" a day in your life!

Best of luck!

PS: I've found that almost everyone- as good as they might be at what they do, have periods of self-doubt. That's not necessarily a bad thing! Keeps us on our toes, prevents us from sitting on our laurels!
To be honest this is just what I needed to hear. Thank you. Good to know I'm not alone.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your post made me think of the time my H got made redundant from a career he'd been doing for 25+ years. It was such a difficult time for him. I was only working part-time at that point as I was seriously depressed and couldn't work any longer than that. We had 2 kids and not enough money to live on, so he took anything and everything he could to bring money in. He swept factory floors, he cleaned. It was demoralising but it gave him a sense of purpose. At the same time, he applied for anything he could. This eventually led him into a brand new career. Something he would never have envisaged doing, but he LOVES it.

We never know what's going to turn up sometimes.

My advice would be to take any job you can to get you out there again. You never know what's just around the corner.

Good luck to you x
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Another suggestion would be to do some volunteer work in the meantime - it looks good on a resume and you never know who you will run into when you are volunteering.

My whole life I've also never been afraid to try applying for jobs completely out of my field, even if I was under/unqualified. You never know what might happen when you get that foot in the door for an interview - and it works.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree strongly with the idea to volunteer. I've recently done some recruiting and was very impressed by the people that kept busy and helped others while unemployed.

It doesn't sound like your heart is in going back to the work you were doing before. It can also be a rather unhealthy field, in my experience.

What about investigating options in the counseling/recovery world? You are a very compassionate person.

Also, talk to the UC office about options and funding for training in another field. Just to get more ideas and help you think through what you want to do.

Golden opportunity to change your life completely. and yes, find something that you love so much it doesn't feel like work.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. The overall message I'm getting from these responses is:

Keep trying. No matter if it's volunteer work, crap work, old work, new work, or achieving personal goals. Just keep going at it.

I can manage that. Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good on ya for taking that message away here!!!
The day you stop trying, is the day you stop caring...

Best of luck to you!

Ever hear that quote: "The harder I work, the luckier I get"?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You might enjoy selling Real Estate. It's fairly easy to get started, you could use your photography and your sales background. It's flexible, so you could also pursue something creative as well in down time...
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will just share my ES&H. I once was an RN, lost that career to my addiction. I went on, did work in fast food and helping my dad at expediting and another friend at merchandising (I did sunglass displays in several stores).

I built up a reputation at being "dependable, reliable". The merchandising job ended when my company was bought out by another.

I was without a job, going crazy (I live with my codependent dad and addict stepmom). My friend from school said "you should volunteer ---here" and I did.

It was working with seniors and I LOVED it. I was back in school, into another area of healthcare.

I am blessed, beyond imagination, with "my seniors". It led me to a job in caregiving. I have the support from the families that I work with their loved ones.\

I will, eventually have to stop this job in order to get a "real job"..one with benefits and such, but I'm grateful for the jobs I do now.

I never knew that I had the patience to deal with those who have alzheimers. I'm finding I have strengths I never knew?

I met someone here, on SR. who is a recruiter. He's taken my current skills and told me how to put them into my resume, and damn!! I never knew how good I sounded!!!

Do what you have a passion for, and it will be okay. I'm facing a mess-up from my school, going to cost me $1500+ but ya know what? I'll be okay. It's thanks to the people here who told me to volunteer, and it's thanks to the people I work with and their families.

We WILL be okay...just gotta take that next right step

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First off, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I really got a lot out of reading about your challenges and am very thrilled that you are now sober for over 7 months! That is huge! Congratulations.

As far as the work front, I certainly second the suggestion about donating the current free time you have while you are in between jobs and volunteering. There are so many incredible organizations out there helping people that are desperate for people to help and volunteer. You have so much to offer organizations and people, perhaps mentoring or helping the elderly. There are so many choices available.

As far as a new career goes, have you though about perhaps becoming a Drug or Alcohol counselor? Your first hand experience would make you incredibly valuable, perhaps you could help others learn to take back control of there lives from Drugs and Alcohol. Just a thought.

On a side note I was sent a very interesting youtube clip of a old 10 minute film reel that used to be shown to school kids back in the 1940's. It resonated with me today. It had to do with taking jobs we might not be so excited about and learning to see the good in all sorts of jobs, even the boring ones. It is worth watching. It helped me see my current job in a different light.

You and Your Work (1948) - YouTube