Notices

Any advice?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Itsmytime1234 View Post
I defiantly feel like I have no control when I drink. But I feel weird identifying as an alcoholic because I don't feel that to be a true statement .
Don't bother with the semantics. Identifying the connection between your drinking and problems in your life is enough. If you find that you are unable to control the drinking to the point that it stops causing problems, then it is time to get help and support to quit
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ItsMyTime!

I really commendable that you're being totally honest and that you're asking yourself these questions. Most of us found that our drinking only got worse over time, never better (even thought we tried a million ways to be normal drinkers). I didn't start to realize I had a problem until I was in my 30's, but looking back I can see I was never a one-or-two-drinks kind of person.

Glad you've joined us!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Booniecat View Post
So glad you are on here itsmytime. I am much older than you (but probably not wiser.) I should have known I was an alcoholic in my late teens and 20's because whenever I drank I got totally smashed. I held it together enough to get a Masters degree and have a very successful career. Rarely had liquor in the house and went months without drinking with no problem. On the rare occasions I did drink - blotto.

After my kids left home I began drinking daily. The past few years I have averaged three fifths of vodka per week and usually passed out each night. I have tried only drinking on weekends (fail) and only drinking beer (big fail). I have come to realize I cannot drink AT ALL. You may want to consider taking a complete break for alcohol for 30 or 60 days. I realized as I was drinking I could not think clearly about whether I had a drinking problem.

I have done a lot of reading in the past year and books on recovery have helped me make the decision not to drink ever. Big step for me but the only real solution.

You are taking the first step by being on the SR site. God Bless.

......and Booniecat---I wish youthe best on your commitment to sobriety.Keep us posted.

OFF TOPIC-------I LOVE YOUR BOONIE CAT__beautiful