Notices

Day Four: Near Beer and Sweets Galore...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Four: Near Beer and Sweets Galore...

Hi Everyone, just wanted to check in and let you know I have made it through day four without a drink. Yesterday was hell with racing thoughts and a bunch of worries seeming to come out of nowhere but at least not accompanied by the anxiety attacks that drinking usually brought. Getting used to your feelings sober really is some thing. Wow.

Two quick questions:

1. I know most people discourage the use of N/A beer here because of the fact that it keeps the drinker in drinking behavior even if there is virtually no alcohol in it. I had a few this weekend at social events because I am still not sure about my "I have given up drinking" story and so used the "Designated driver, having a near beer" excuse. They taste absolutely horrible but are they dangerous as a crutch until you get your life sorted enough to stay away from all social drinking scenes? I noted when I got home I automatically reached into the fridge to grab one until I noticed what I was doing so I might have answered my own question there...

2. Holy Sweet Tooth! This happened to me when I stopped for the first six week go 'round and I was shocked. I have NEVER had a sweet tooth and suddenly I couldn't get enough sweets. It went away after about three weeks but here I am again after quitting the second time. I am eating movie theatre sized boxes of candy three times a day and feeling like absolute crap afterwards but can't seem to get enough sugar. Is this common? Any suggestions for not turning into the Cookie Monster and gaining back the weight I lost after not drinking bottles of wine every night?

Thanks all again, you are lifesavers!

(Day Five, here I come...)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

not sure about the N/A beer. I never liked beer.

But yes for me, I do crave sugar. I am only at the end of Day 5 so I just hope it goes away!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CBR

Good for you! It gets better every day. I drank near beer in the beginning too. Fake wine also. Tastes like crap and they charge you more than the real thing. Now I drink cranberry and soda. Also have a Virgin Mary when out to dinner. Funny thing, at thanksgiving was drinking fake wine in a fancy wine glass. When my Neices got home they stared crying to my Sister that Aunt Cathy is drinking again! They wouldn't believe my sister cause I wAs joking with them and having a great time. It felt greAt that they were so vested in my staying sober. I felt validated and loved. I don't buy into the whole thing that near beer can make us drink. I'm sober now 14 months. No near beer can mess with my sobriety. Wishing you many more sober happy days.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ptcapote, I am in the same boat. After 3 weeks with nothing and going through the sweet tooth stage I relapsed for a 3 day binge. I went another 17 days and did it again. I am going on day 3 and am loving candy.

I am sure you will be over it in a week or so, hang in there. I would stay away from the NA beer; I found in the past that it makes it too easy to feel that I could handle a few beers with no problems only to fall into my old habits.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was in sixth grade some of my classmates drank "Near Beer" and it became the "in" thing...I personally always thought the concept was stupid. But if you feel it works for you, okay.

Sorting your life enough to stay away from all social drinking scenes?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Early in my sobriety I tried near beer and it triggered my alcoholic mind to crave the real thing. Personally I wouldn't advise the use of it. It seems you are having a hard time telling people the truth. I had those same feelings. But after I finally told my friends the truth they just said ok like it was no big deal. And sugar cravings do subside, just give it time. These are normal feelings. Keep making sobriety your full time job and life will get easier.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I agree with choublak. You might give some thought to not being in situations where you have to "pretend" to drink, at least not in early sobriety.

There are a 100 other things you can drink other than NA beer. And believe or not, most people don't care what you are drinking. Only those of us who have quit seem to make a big deal about it.

Stay strong.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My experience? I started drinking O'Doul's and was drinking the real thing within two weeks. I went on a five year run and at the end was drinking 12 beers in the course of several hours or until I passed out.

I have been here since January. During that time there have been three members (I'm aware of) who decided to drink "near beer" and believed they were in no danger. Two of these members have never returned and one returned sharing they ended up on a two week bender. Whether they are sober at this point, I do not know.

For me, drinking O'Doul's was the beginning of turning to the real thing.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sweets~ah yes, that I can relate to. For me, the craving starts on day four, and go away after a few days. I have never researched it, but can only assume that my brain is craving the sugars that used to be in my drinks. Perhaps like withdrawal from sugar as well.

Best to you! Be well.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

NA Beer actually has alcohol in it! Most of them have .5% which probably would make it impossible to get drunk, unless you drank 24 of them.

I believe that you are still going through the motions and reminding your AV (alcoholic voice) of the same behavior. In my case, I would never drink something that taste's so terrible! When I drank, I enjoyed craft brewed Ale's
that had a lot of flavor.... when I tasted NA beer I found it quite disgusting and found that I preffered water or fruit juice mixed with sparkling water.

I am with you on the sweet tooth. I have discovered the bulk bins at my local market.... chocolate, peanut butter malt balls are my new vice!!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 4 days. This is my first sober day in about a year Lets keep at it.
NA beer is still .5% and is carbonated which causes faster delivery to the blood stream.
That's likely enough to trigger you into drinking if you have a few in quick succession.
Good luck.