Notices

Hello from İstanbul

Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from İstanbul

I found this forum accidentally while surfing the internet.I am a 56 year old male living in İstanbul.Although I do not consider myself a typical alcoholic,still my story could be a little long.

I was never a heavy drinker before the age of 35.I used to drink only once or twice a week moderately.When I took over my father's company upon his death I was too young to manage it and had very hard times.Few years later I started having panic attacks which took years and they were quite severe.The severity of those attacks ended 15 years ago but I still have a few now and then...

İn order to tackle those attacks I started drinking hard beverages like whiskey or similar stuff but only twice a week.However when I drank ,it was about 5-6 doubles averaging 10-12 doubles per week.There were times when I quit for a few weeks or even few months and during this time I only experienced very mild withdrawal symptoms,mainly anxiety...

Over the past 2 years I kept on drinking like that,twice a week and each time I wanted to quit,I could easily do so with 4-5 days of mild withdrawal effects such as sweating in the palms,anxiety etc...; just like my young times when I had,in fact more severe panic attacks without drinking...

About 8 days ago I quit again and the withdrawal symptoms this time took 4-5 days with sweating in the palms,anxiety but I noticed that when I stretched my both arms ,my right hand's fingers were a little shaky which makes me scared thinking of Parkinson's disease.Since I am a worrying type,I do not want to go to a doctor.

I am also a smoker and each time I have a few drinks and smoke 1-2 packs ,the next day I have a swollen stomach and my blood pressure goes up even after one cigarette.Whether this is due to what is called''ibs syndrome'' which I also have!

I also do have an ocular migraine now and then and each time it happens I see that it does happen mainly during withdrawals.

Other than these,I do not have any other health problem as yet.

Sorry for my long and possibly boring message.

All the best and have an endless sober years...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Cengiz.

Glad you are here.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome to SR! What is your plan to stay quit?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Welcome to SR Cengiz.

Glad you are here.
Many thanks for your reply heath 480.I see that you are from the UK where I lived for a year learning English but that was ages ago...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
Welcome to SR! What is your plan to stay quit?
Not forever actually!But firstly I must decide whether or not I have become an alcoholic over the past years.I drink only twice a week as I mentioned before but 5-6 doubles each time.The next 2-3 days I even can not stand the smell of alcohol but after 3 days I drink again.

I wish my plan of being sober would be forever but whether I really need it,I do not know...

I do not think I can turn into a daily heavy drinker after my age but I just do not want the alcohol to ruin my health.Life is too short anyway!