Notices

Having weight loss surgery

Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having weight loss surgery

Hi all,
I'm new here and plan to have weight loss surgery in late April early May and have an alcohol addiction. I realize that working on my alcoholism will be beneficial once I have the surgery since I will then have to deal with not eating like I do now. I'm still so scared and pray I can do this.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mel and welcome. My first question is, have you told your surgeon the extent of your alcohol consumption? If it is lap band surgery you're having I'd be very surprised if any doctor would perform that procedure on an active alcoholic. Your tolerance will drop precipitously after surgery and what might have given you a slight buzz pre-surgery may, post-surgery, make you blackout drunk or worse. Please consider getting your addiction under control before having surgery. This forum is a good place to start.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Have you talked to your doctor about your drinking?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR mel

D
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually I did tell them (finally) and have been encouraged to do something about it now. I'm required to do 3 months of food diaries and changing the way I eat prior to surgery but finding it difficult giving up the beer. Oh, and I'm planning to have the Roux en Y procedure where they take your stomach from the size of a football to the size of an egg bypassing most of your intestines.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Please do some research on both your surgery and alcoholism, you may be surprised as to what you learn.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will have bloods done prior to surgery, you won't be able to hide this... If you really want your surgery to go ahead try as hard as you can.
Good luck mel, you are aiming for flirty and forty and thriving remember?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had my lab work done already and my liver enzymes have all come back normal thank God. I've actually been in recovery before and have relapsed terribly. I have come to such a place in my life that my life is completely unmanageable and I'm ready to do something about it. I want a fresh start and that's getting sober and getting this weight off of me. I know that doing this will not be a fix all but it's a heck of a start.