Notices

Full blood count

Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Full blood count

Had a scan on my liver,spleen, kidneys,gall, and pancreas just over a week ago. It showed gallstones, they told me that there and then and said the results would be with the docs shortly.
Recieve a letter this morning asking me to make an app for a full blood count, has anyone had one and why?
Not looking for advice just shared experience,thankyou.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Last week I went into see the Dr. and had a complete metabolic panel blood test (only took 2 days for results). Been drinking for over 30 years and already knew I had high BP and high cholesterol. This test tested for liver enzymes, AST and ALT, and my AST level was found to have trippled in the last several years (AST 81). Was told by his nurse to stop drinking and to return in two months for a scan and more blood work/tests : (
Gallstones are very common so I would not sweat that. On the internet/youtube are many listings for natural liver/gallstone cleanses that are purported to work.
Hope that helps some and good luck to you my friend.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have stopped drinking as of december my cholesterol is 3.9, BP fine. I should have asked for an explanation of the liver function test, one was 89 not sure if it was AST or ALT.
Thanks a lot for your post abidebylaw and good luck to you too mate
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A cbc is just a comlpete blood count. Really routine stuff, I get 1 every 2 years due to the meds I'm on. Nothing 2 worry about. It just gives the doc an idea about your general health. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know about the gall stones - I had 3X elevated liver enzyme tests and had to come clean with my new Dr. He asked me about my 'exposure' to hepatitis etc and tested me for the multiple 'versions' of hepatitis all which came out negative.
He ordered an ultrasound, which I have yet to schedule because my copay would still be very expensive and I already owe almost 1K for just basic stuff.
I told him I know I drink too much and stopped that day. He was cautious but agreed to see me and retest in a few months. At a recent follow up visit a few weeks ago, he was quite shocked that I did not have anything to drink.
I admit, I was freaked out at first - partly due to my poor emotional state fueled by drinking. Not drinking has allowed me to face reality, get healthier and let hope consume me over hopelessness.
Good luck, I have a feeling you will be fine.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

''I was freaked out at first - partly due to my poor emotional state fueled by drinking. Not drinking has allowed me to face reality, get healthier and let hope consume me over hopelessness''

You have no idea how bang on you are here... I am spent, burnt out, at the end of my rope atm. Why did I think this was going to be easy?
My bubble has burst, all I can do like you say is hope that I stopped in time and there is a way back. At the moment getting through each day is like wading through treacle, taking 3 steps forward and 4 back.
Thankyou
Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kizzy, I've had a roller coaster of a year health wise but amazing thing how sobriety makes things so much simpler.
Depression and anxiety were the real killers.
I found in the darkest moments to focus on the things I want from life and thats what I want life, not an anxious crawl through time. However long and whatever state were in Life's there for living.
John
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks john I understand where you're coming from, will try to stay positive.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I struggled with depression and anxiety and the shame and guilt that goes along with drinking all the time, hiding it, lying, screwing up etc.

There was an instant kick in the pants, an immediate boost in my self respect when I decided to quit drinking. Enough of this rubbish already. Time to move beyond this.

In a week or two, it was clear that the depression and anxiety were because of the drinking. And I was drinking to deal with the depression and anxiety! Yikes! I had that completely backwards.

Since that time, things have settled down a bit, but good golly Molly, what a different life I lead. Looking back, the sober life is easy now, it was the drinking life that was so so hard.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh believe me I get it, was very tuned in to myself in the weeks before I quit, fully aware that the booze was driving all my fear and anxiety.
After years of battling it was as if a switch had been thrown, and I woke up sober and the cravings had left me.
As yet they haven't returned...
The source of my fear is now, why did I leave it so late... has the damage been done?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I feel a little shamefaced, but very pleased to say my liver and assorted organs scan came back normal, and all the pain is simple this pesky gall stone..
Oh my days, so relieved... have been driving myself to distraction these past few days, I feel very blessed today.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad to hear all is well with your tests! :c031
Old 02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
Well I feel a little shamefaced, but very pleased to say my liver and assorted organs scan came back normal, and all the pain is simple this pesky gall stone..
Oh my days, so relieved... have been driving myself to distraction these past few days, I feel very blessed today.
Glad scan came back normal, but I will say I have had gall stones & had to get my gallbladder out. They are painful I know. Take Care.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thankyou doc wants me to lose a bit of weight before referring me on, gave me buscopan to help with the cramps.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very happy for you. A clean slate to enjoy your sober/healthy life!
Unfortunately for me I will be stressed until the end of April when I return for my follow up to my recent high liver enzyme results.
God help me.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What a relief for you, so glad you got reassuring news
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABIDEBYLAW View Post
Very happy for you. A clean slate to enjoy your sober/healthy life!
Unfortunately for me I will be stressed until the end of April when I return for my follow up to my recent high liver enzyme results.
God help me.
Thankyou ABL, I'm still pinching myself. Try to stay positive ( says me..) and most importantly sober
anytime you feel down or scared give me a holler
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
CBR

Blood count

A blood count shows how many red and white blood cells you have and how healthy they might be. Alcohol can cause us to stop making red bloods cells and can cause them to be immature or not functional. It is called anemia. Red blood cells carry oxygen to all parts of our body. That is why when we don't have enough of them or they are damaged, we feel weak, short of breathe and cold. To help this we need to take B vitamins, especially thiamine, niacin, B12 and folic acid. B12 taken under the tongue is very helpful. B vitamins also increase your appetite and give you energy. Also they help repair the nerves we damage by drinking. Alcohol destroys all of our B vitamins. I take iron called Slow Fe as it is one that doesn't cause nausea or constipation. Also, because we don't eat we'll when drinking, multi vitamins are very important. Speak with the Doctor before doing any of the above. I am a nurse and can not prescribe.
The white blood count is used to check for infection amount many other things. They are responsible for fighting infection and can be high during illness. Hope this helps you. Ask your Doctor to refer you to a nutritionist during your recovery process. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Some great advice there thanks, i'm not going to google those as I will start to worry again haha. I have got a sneaking suspicion I am anemic but noy going to dwell on it.
I have been eating very well and do take vits to help build me back up, take berrocca from today actually as someone recommended it.
My sis has coeliac disease so may mention that when I get the results.
Cheers again everyone.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
CBR

The liver is a wonderful organ as it is very forgiving. If we stop drinking, it can repair itself. When it is aggravated by alcohol, it makes lots of enzymes. That is what the Doctor looks at to determine how bad we might have beat up our liver. Good luck! It's been a year for me and all my enzymes are back to normal. They were off the wall when I first stopped drinking.