Notices

Retreat

Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Retreat

So I've been sober for 8 months. Did not do detox - just stopped on my own (I know, not too bright). But without the benefit of that initial period to really reflect on my alcohol addiction I find I need to spend some time thinking things through. So next Monday I head off to a hotel for 5 days for a solo retreat. Goal is to assess what I want and how I will get there. No electronics on this trip. Just a few books - the AA big book, something on self-esteem (a huge issue for me).

Looking for any suggestions on topics for reflection or retreat experiences.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Learning to live in the moment with neither a hangover from the past nor aprehension over the future is useful for everyone i believe , that might be a good practaice .

Remember SR is here if you start to feel too isolated

I hope it's insightful ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mecanix. Something to reflect on for sure.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great idea Version2, I plan on doing something similar later this year. I have taken a week off next week to 'regroup' but I won't be going anywhere, just hanging out at home reading. It won't be so much to reflect on my alcoholism as that's something I do daily by coming here. When I was drinking I never took holidays, just the odd day off here and there but I am really starting to enjoy taking the odd week off to myself. The first time was not successful because it was the first time I had ever had that long off with no responsibilities and of course my first instinct was to get drunk. I spent that week here. Now it's easier. In the future I fully intend to go on meditation retreats and maybe get a cottage out in the sticks somewhere. I think just learning to be okay by ourselves as we are is very important and often overlooked x
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks hypochondriac. I used to get drunk on vacation too. And I thought I would never be able to enjoy a vacation without it. Especially camping. With no beer? But it actually fun.

I think what I hope to focus on is to get in touch with the me from long ago. Since drinking I have let go of so many hopes and dreams. I just tried to get numb. And now I see that there may still be things I want to do.

I am also a bit nervous about having no phone or iPod. I will have no escape from my thoughts. Not sure what I will have to face in my own head for a week. Gulp. I think I use those to block out thoughts. I will be walking a lot. Looking forward to that. And hitting a morning AA meeting each day.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

I'm glad to hear you are walking version2. That was the first suggestion that came to mind. I must have walked a "million" miles in my first year. ( well, it felt like that anyway ). I don't listen to music or news or books on tape when I am walking. The sound of whatever body of water I am walking by is enough for me. The topic I reflected on the most was self forgiveness. That has been my biggest obstacle during my recovery.....learning to forgive myself. I'm making progress

Congrats on 8 months! That's so great!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks LDT. I have to admit I have not started walking yet. But sounds like that would be useful at home or on retreat. I think I resist these things when I should just do it and trust that it will help. Argh. Why do we need to feel that we are controlling everything? Anyway I will do the walking. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

The Ottawa Intergroup has a nice 8 page newsletter with lots to read and reflect on. Maybe take a look at that. The definition of Honesty has a lot of words following it. If you aren't bringing a laptop, do some prior research and come up with a plan. AA has some retreats, but you'd have to do a search for them or call the intergroup. Meditation wil bring you answers to your questions, too!

I wish you well on your solo retreat!