Notices

Fifth day of a new attempt

Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fifth day of a new attempt

I have had many false starts. Always began with obsessive declarations of sobriety. This one snuck up on me. I just realized that it's been 5 days. I am tired of thinking only of drinking or not drinking. Something has shifted in my thinking of it. Has this happened to anyone else? I almost feel like I am being lazy about it. Hard to describe.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think i did something simmalar with depression , got sick of thinking this or thinking that or trying to not think this or trying to think that .
In the end i just kind of stepped away from being in and of it , gained some perspective and started living and enjoying every day and moment as it happend .

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days!

S x
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. Mecanix, I agree about the depression. I had a similar breakthrough with that a few weeks ago. I hadn't realized they were probably related until now.

Ever onward.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was going through the same thing for a while. I would wake up and think about not drinking. Personally, I have come to think the "not" and "non" thoughts are damaging to my psyche. The idea of living each day defined by what I was not going to do doesn't seem to fit my personality and how I want to approach life.
Now, I view my past drinking as an event/chapter of my life that is over, and I feel that it helps. This by no means minimizes the impact/damage left by my drinking and I am still processing and healing (50 days!). I realize that my approach is probably not the most popular of approaches, but it is working for me.
And that's what is most important -- finding the path that works for us.
Of course, supportive and nurturing environments (like SR or IRL groups) are always helpful.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi SW, I'm in day 4 (for the umpteenth time). I feel the same was as you do today. I'm excited about being sober. I feel good physically and my mind has cleared up. Nothing to it, right? Wrong! Don't let your guard down.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree that when "not drinking" becomes as big of an issue in your life as "drinking" it can be detrimental..for some. Through all of my own stops and starts (too many to count as well) I have learned that how I think about it really does make a difference. As does recognizing your triggers and having a plan for what to do when those cravings attack. Good luck Stay strong.