Notices

Starting home detox today

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Starting home detox today

I'm really nervous but very excited about starting detox this morning. I am doing it at home because I have had very mild WD symptoms in the past. My plans are
- lots of Gatorade G2
- check blood pressure and pulse hourly
- have my wife available for support and if something gets ugly
I do have a prescription for Valium from my doc if needed.

I know it is time. Both of my adult sons and my son in law have drinking problems and I want to lead the way. Crazy thing is my wife and I are both Clinical Social Workers, born again Christians and served as missionaries 7 years in the 1980's. how did this happen?

Do any of the rest of you feel like total idiots?

I plan on using this forum along with AVRT, journaling and lots of exercise as my recovery plan.

For those of you who pray, please give me a mention.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! ...and you seem to have things in place to help. Check with your doctor about vitamins-mine recommended a combination, and Whole Foods has an electrolyte supplement (calcium, magnesium and zinc) that may help balance out the extra fluid. Lots of Gatorade-type drinks advertise that but for me I got leg cramps without the needed electrolytes.

Again, I am not a doctor! ...so do check with your MD.

I'll include you in my prayers, certainly, and keep posting here! Day 4 for me...
Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good luck roger,,i dont pray,,but i can send a cyber hug xx
go easy on the gatirade,, maybe try some nice herbal tea?????
i took l-glutamine vitamin,,for muscle relaxent qualities,,but check it out first xxxx
also,,kudzu is a great vit for anti craving,,worked great for me,,but check it out first xx
all my hugs
x lv cleo xxxx
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done you. Sending you a huge hug.

No-one wants to admit we are alcoholic but unfortunately I believe this is both a mental and physical illness. People from all walks of life suffer from it.

Wishing you a every success.

x
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks to all. My doc has me taking zinc, calcium, b1, b12, and a multi. Thank God I have a wonderful and supportive wife with me on this journey. We have been married forty years next month and I want a sober anniversary.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck to you on your new journey.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll be praying!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

" Do any of the rest of you feel like total idiots?"....... ( insert hand raised ) Yep! Or rather, I FELT like one...... working hard not to feel that way any more. I, too, wondered " how did this happen?" I just accept it now.

RogerB, I am a praying person.....Prayers have been sent up for you..... I can tell you that sober anniversaries are GREAT! ( been married going on 29 years myself, and have had 2 sober anniversaries with my DH).

I wish you well. Keep us posted. You are going to be OK!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Team Roger here!

Please check in and let us know how you are doing.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I couln't of gotten as far as I did w/o prayer, so heres to you! Sounds like you have what you need. I'm on day 4 and it's been relativley mild for me too. prayers
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
how did this happen?

Do any of the rest of you feel like total idiots?
It happened to you the same as all of us. It started with one drink.

But I no longer feel like an idiot. The days of being an idiot are in the past. I have learned by sharing at meetings and here on SR how to stay sober.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations Roger,

I am sending prayers yours and your wife's way.
"Do any of the rest of you feel like total idiots?
I have felt like a complete idiot many times but I am notoriously harsh on myself. You are not an idiot, like me and a lot of folks here you are an alcoholic: someone with an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind.
The next few days might be tough but you have plenty of support here. You are NOT alone and if we did it, so can you.
I m glad you stocked up on vitamins. You might also want to have sport drinks (Gatorade will do too) so you can remain hydrated especially if you get diarrhea or/and puke.
Big hug and good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Prayers sent. Good job.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to feel like a total idiot...but I corrected myself
I no longer feel like one cos I don't act like one

Best wishes

D
Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Crazy thing is my wife and I are both Clinical Social Workers, born again Christians and served as missionaries 7 years in the 1980's. how did this happen?

Alcohol doesn't care about your education, vocation, or Christian service. It's an equal opportunity destroyer of lives.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Doing well so far. Ate some supper and doing lots of reading. Headache and anxiety about the worst of it so far. Thanks for all the support.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it's wonderful you want to lead by example for your sons and son in law. Keep in touch.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Booniecat View Post
Crazy thing is my wife and I are both Clinical Social Workers, born again Christians and served as missionaries 7 years in the 1980's. how did this happen?
Alcohol doesn't discriminate. If you're a host body, you're fair game. And it's not averse to killing its host body. Of course it makes no logical sense. It's anything but logical. But parasites don't think about the potentiality of exhausting the host body. Their brain is miniscule. And alcohol is a liquid and has no brain at all.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Made it through the night. Was jumpy and lots of anxiety. Could not relax in bed but finally got a few hours of sleep. Feeling better this am. Skipped church to spend some time in reading and prayer alone. Realizing I have failed in quitting in the past due to trying for poor reasons like getting my wife's and others approval or for purely health reasons. Those just did not provide the motivation I needed to say no to the booze. I still have a couple of half bottles in the house. Kept them there in case the WD got too bad. I think I am ready to do a celebratory pour down the sink today.

Not a lot of physical symptoms this am. Still a little jumpy and stomach not great but not as bad as some of the hangovers I have had in the past month.

I know we are not all people of faith on this site but I am hanging on to God with all my might right now. My friends tell me to surrender to him and let Him take it. I'm not there yet and all I can do is hang on tight and ride it out.

Thanks for all the support.