Notices

This is the 2nd longest I've been sober in 12 years...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is the 2nd longest I've been sober in 12 years...

...It's been 12 days...

It feels awkward for me to post in here, but I have no one to talk to about it. This is a first for me, and I don't really know where to start, so I'll start at the beginning. I'll try to shorten it, but it'll most likely be a short novel. I feel like it will be a good introduction from me to you and maybe give a little background of my addiction.

I started drinking heavily when I was 19 and started going out with my first, serious boyfriend. He was a moderately heavy drinker - also a musician, which meant gigs at bars & clubs, and I'm sure it must have been very exciting for me at the time to be able to get into these places without being carded, and having a few drinks.

Over the course of our 8 year relationship, alcohol was omnipresent. BBQs were constant, musical gigs were ongoing, basically we would find any excuse to drink...At the time I didn't think I had a problem, I thought it was all fun and games (it sure seemed that way) and I looked forward to hanging out with our friends and getting drunk. We drank at *least* 6 days a week. I think it was usually 7. During the relationship, I went from drinking 1 beer, to drinking 9 beers. Keep in mind, I'm a tiny thing. I don't think I weighed more than 100 pounds during that entire relationship.

We broke up in January of 2010. A few nights later (feeling depressed) I drove "our" car (a car registered to me, but paid for by him) to a dive bar and had 2 beers with a friend. Afterwards, I drove to another bar in a mall to meet some old high school classmates. At that bar I had 4 more beers and 2 shots of Patron (which i don't remember taking). I don't remember anything after that.

I don't remember leaving the bar, walking to my car, strapping myself in, or driving. All I know is I woke up sitting on a curb with the mall Security while my car was sandwiched and smoking underneath a concrete stairwell. I blacked out once again, and woke up strapped down in an ambulance. I blacked out yet again, and woke up in the Emergency Room where they were taking off my clothes. I remember being absolutely covered in shattered windshield glass, it was all in my pants and in my shirt and when they removed the clothing I could hear it tinkle as it hit the floor.

The nurses, doctors, and police officers told me I was lucky I didn't die. They said my car was totalled and that my roof had literally ripped off. They said if I had a passenger that night, they would have surely died. They also told me I had been 6 inches away from being decapitated, due to the nature of the accident with the concrete busting in the car the way it did.

After that I swore I would never drink again, and DEFINITELY that I wouldn't drink and drive again. I didn't keep the first promise (but I did keep the second). I started drinking again about 2 weeks after the car accident because I was depressed about what had happened, the breakup, the money I owed to my ex BF for the car, and the $500 i owed my best friend, who had to pay my tow bill.

I was convicted of a DUI (the 2nd level, as my alcohol percent was 3x the legal limit: .24%) and lost my license for 6 months, underwent evaluation (where it was deemed I was an alcohol "abuser", and attended alcohol classes amongst my numerous trips to the courthouse).

I moved to another place to escape the memory of the breakup and the accident, and I continued to drink nearly every single day, just a beer or two. Sometimes 3. I met my (current) boyfriend in this new place I moved to (NOT a drinker, thank goodness) and slowed down a bit... But being away from my mom, and still dealing with depression (from the accident) weighed on me, also being away from all of my friends was hard. And I slowly started drinking more and more. I drank anywhere from 2-4 beers consistently EVERY DAY for the 2 years I lived in that new place. My depression worsened. I had anxiety attacks. I had no friends.

4 months ago that boyfriend and I moved to a new place together. When we first got here I didn't drink for a week, I had a cold. As soon as I was better, I started up again -usually drinking 3-4 beers every single evening. And when I was broke and couldn't afford beer, I opened the "Crystal Head" (Vodka in a skull shaped bottle) that was purely for decoration, and finished it in 2 days. I continued to drink like this up until February 3rd, a Sunday. I couldn't even drink the 2nd beer I opened, I felt like it was making me nauseous. I think it was my body's way of telling me ENOUGH ALREADY.

And here I am. Since I've stopped, I've noticed an insane increase in my energy. And although I am lonely (I still have no girlfriends, actually no friends at all LOL) I feel more positive. I'm not as snappy or moody or angry. My depression has lifted tremendously, and I don't have to fake smile anymore.

However, I still think about cracking open a beer...It crosses my mind numerous times during the day. Especially when I listen to a song I really like (music & alcohol seem really connected for me), smoke a cigarette, have a stressed out moment, or as soon as 4pm hits...Will this get better? So far I've been strong, but I don't trust myself quite enough yet to know if I can handle this feeling eternally...

The liquor store is right down the street. Sometimes I drive past it and want to turn in so badly just out of habit. I know that the reasons I had such an affinity for drinking are deep rooted, most of them stem from lonliness and being so secluded with little to no social interaction ever since I moved after the car accident. I would drink all alone and listen to music, and would attempt to feel better.

If you've made it this far, i commend you and for bearing with me. I'm happy to find a place like this.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

LadyVenom, This is the 2nd longest I've been sober in 12 years... ...It's been 12 days...? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Before ya know it 120 days.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm gonna try really hard!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

You're on your way to a better life! Keep it up! Everything will get better!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jules

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your sobriety. It does get better! Your not alone, I think many of us tend to isolate and feel alone, I know I do, I'm happy you found us!!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm glad that you found us here.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ladyvenom

I think for 12 days you're doing great - it's pretty normal to 'still think about cracking open a beer'.

You don't have to 'handle it eternally' - you just have to handle it today

it will get easier and the urges will grow fainter and fainter, trust me

D
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Wow LadyVenom thanks for sharing your struggles with alcohol. I also can relate to having alcohol being very fun. I have such fond memories of drinking 6-packs and listening to The Beatles for the first time while chatting with my soon to be girlfriend on the computer. That is a time in my life I can never return to. That was before I heard words like AA, alcoholism, addict, intervention, dry drunk. All that would come later.

I reached a point where drinking wasn't making me feel like it use to. Sure I would enjoy 15-30 minutes in when the buzz was at its peak. But it just seemed to last shorter and shorter and drinking became so boring and I often turned to drugs just to spice things up.

I remember all the empty bottles all over the place, feeling so bloated and disgusting, laying out like a dead whale on my bed. No energy, sleeping bad, going to sleep without brushing my teeth. I often drank to make life more fun and to feel good about myself and my life. Alcohol sort of became my go to thing and I loved how I just had to walk across the street and there was an assortment of alcoholic beverages for cheap.

There is a lot I liked about alcohol. But once you cross that line into dependence/alcoholism you start getting the consequences. It was the consequences that made me go to AA and get sober. It just seemed to get worse and worse. And I was able to get a month sober but when I rellapsed I went back to drinking even harder than before.

Old habbit die hard. and quiting drinking is really tough. Its unfortinitly super hard, and anyone who says its not is not a real addict in my opniion. But there is a way out, but you have to be willing to do a few things. Stick around SR and you will learn a lot about how people have been able to get longterm sobriety. Its basically AA, God, family/friends, etc. etc. There are different ways to get sober so you may have to give a few things a try. And if you don't get this your first time don't beat yourself up, its taken me like 3 years to get 5 months and its a daily struggle. But whats our alternative? Being addicted to alcohol is a serious deal. But its not hopeless. Welcome to SR.