Notices

Chantix feels just like detox

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chantix feels just like detox

I decided to try Chantix. I am on my second week. Half way through it. I have drinking dreams every night. Whatever crosses my mind becomes a mental movie when I sleep. I wake up 5 or 6 times a night. So when I fall back to sleep which happens quickly I have a new dream. Kind of like changing channels on a twilight zone network.
I have am really poor at communicating. I either sound like a b or someone with an IQ of 10. Yesterday I let the dog out and forgot about him. Would'nt be a deal if it was'nt freezing outside.
So I think I should refrain from making comments to strangers lest I scare them off.
I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I am not 100% there upstairs.
I am tired, dingy, and crabby. Yes, this is very similar to who I was about 3 months ago.
I just want to quit smoking. I don't want to fall in love with life only to kiss it good-bye.
I ordered the Carr book from Amazon. When I finish it ,if anyone wants it, I will give it to you. I never re-read self help books.
Ok so before I forget. I am freaking out on this medication. I don't want to stop taking it because I want to quit smoking. I don't know how long to give it if I fail to quit. I read about that some people take it for a full 3 months.
I know there is a smoking forum but not many people are ever on it.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you stopped the cigs?

I understand taking meds and having side effects, but could it also be withdrawal from the nicotine and other added chemicals?

I'm so happy to hear you are quitting!!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know from experiences here and elsewhere that Chantix is definitely not for everyone, escapist.

If you're concerned about it, do go back and see your Dr.

D
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I decided to try Chantix. I am on my second week. Half way through it. I have drinking dreams every night. Whatever crosses my mind becomes a mental movie when I sleep. I wake up 5 or 6 times a night. So when I fall back to sleep which happens quickly I have a new dream. Kind of like changing channels on a twilight zone network.
I have am really poor at communicating..
Is this hallucinating? The few times I have detoxed I experience this. This time I have actually quit drinking. For about 3 days not including the detox days that I drank small amounts to help with symptoms.

But I am still experiencing these and it is effecting sleep so I have tried melatonin and it helps from 2-3 hour periods and I am awake again.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dont know. Ive never personally tried it, but I have heard nothing but bad about Chantix. Weird side effects. I agree talk with your doc about trying something else.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the side effects of Chantix is greatly enhanced dreams. They are more vivid than normal. Some people can deal with, others can't. If it's not working you can always try the patches or gum.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I may have to take another route. I am just looking for something painless. I do everything in my life this way. From ending relationships to addiction. It is in my DNA.
One cool thing though. Drinking Dreams do not flip me out anymore. I have had so many lately it's like no big deal. Last night I dreamt I was trynig to stuff a huge bottle of Jack Daniels into my purse before my mother saw it. I don't even like Jack Daniels. It makes me a little to YeeHaw
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My husband tried it and had to stop after a few days. He was seeing things - and one day got up and got dressed for work when it was his day off. I had to stop him. He was completely disoriented. I do know people who had great success with it, though. Go figure.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried that stuff and it was horrible.. Really weirded me out!! Strangest drug I have ever taken.. If it doesn't agree with you, dump it in the tolite!!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Got home from work to find Carr's book on my front porch. I am going to read it this weekend.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carr's book didn't help me. Chantix did. However, I did have very vivid dreams (they didn't bother me). I also became nauseous if I took it on an empty or near-empty stomach. I was OK if I took it after a meal.

You may want to consult your doctor about your dosage level.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please go talk to your doctor. Also read the insert very carefully as to how
to 'stop' taking this medication.

I had a very bad experience with it as have several other folks I know.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Escapist,
I used Chantix for 6 weeks last year and I quit permanently. It was not the best of times, but since it absolutely decimated my desire for cigs, I put up with it. The best effects of the drug were the dreams (a lot of fun, btw) and I abhorred the thought of drinking. (At the time, I thought that Chantix should have been marketed as a quit drinking wonder drug.)
However, it would also make me nauseous (like feenix), completely numb emotionally (most of the time), and I lost interest in a majority of things. I quit Chantix because I started having these weird crying outbursts while listening to random songs on the radio while driving. Not so safe, so I stopped using it.
Yet, it worked and I'm thankful.